An actual release date for a dvd before it even hits theatres!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Xenia Stathakopoulou, May 6, 2003.

1. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

I was looking at the different cover art gallery on davis dvd.com , and in the november gallery it lists legally blonde 2 . No actual cover art, but a release date of the 1st week of november is listed, i wonder if this will become a trend.

2. Dave Molinarolo

Dave Molinarolo Stunt Coordinator

I'm waiting for the day when you can pick up the DVD as you walk out of the theater. [​IMG]

3. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Of course, there was also Left Behind, where the DVD release preceded the theatrical run.

DJ

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Of course, you're assuming that the information is accurate, not based on a guess or a rumor. I know of a couple of DVD sites that list discs for preorder based on nothing more than rumor, and have had to remove some titles from their sites when the rumors proved false.

OTOH, studios sometimes know when they have a bomb on their hands. Back in the dark VHS only days before the advent of DVD, I worked was a mail carrier. I had two video stores on my route and yes - I peaked at the fliers they got from the studios. I still remember laughing when I looked at the cover of one industry publication and realized that they were already taking pre-orders for the VHS edition of Bo Derek's first post-10 film, Bolero - several weeks before the film opened in theaters. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

5. ColeKR

ColeKR Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if this works with all DVD's but I believe that most come out about five or six months after the movies have been released in theaters. That's just me, I could be wrong.

6. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

the Bits also has the listing.

MGM publishes its schedule way ahead so it is plausible to be accurate.

I think it's a good policy, as good planning, and easier marketing in a VERY crowded marketplace.

7. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Most video dates are planed months before the theatrical debut. They can change based on a film's performance, but the studios have a good idea of when all of this summer's movies are hitting DVD. They just don't want us to know because it might keep us out of theaters.