What's new

amplification suggestions? (1 Viewer)

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
the bryston can handle 220v and my father said that it would be cheaper as far as the power bill is concerned, and it would be easier on the equipment.

If you take the peak watts that it can handle which is 2100 and divide by 110

I guess that you would take the RMS watts though, which would be 600 watts total(for it would not be more than that for each channel?), and divide by 110 or 120 to get the amplification requirements.

He is a physicist, i am probably just the idiot here.

Eric

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
my dad said that any good piece of equipment should be able to handle 220. 220 is the same as 240(the bryston requirements).

MikeTz

Stunt Coordinator
Eric:

Power in watts is equal to voltage times current so 120V x 17.5A (the maximum current of a 4B-SST) = 2100W. If you use 240V input the current will drop by half and the maximum power dissipation will remain at 2100W (240v x 8.75A = 2100W).

So you have two choices, get a 4B-SST and 9BSST with a 240V input and wire two outlets for 240V/15A (8.75A for the 4B-SST, plus 9.6A for the 9B-SST). Or check the gauge of your home wiring and if its 12ga. just buy two 20 amp outlets and switch with the existing ones then replace the 15A breakers with 20 amp units. Presto 20 amp outlets. If however your existing outlets are wired with 14ga. wire then you need to run new cable (a pain in the butt as your father has already indicated).

I run my theater with a 4B-SST and a 9B-SST. I use big inefficient Vandersteen speakers and I never get even close to max current even at ear splitting volume. If you plug the 9B into a 120V/15A dedicated outlet I doubt you will ever get close to the 15A breaker limit. Remember the side channels and rears are only for ambience and effects. If you set them to small they will never require the kind of power your Bryston will deliver. Also Bryston amps are conservatively rated. That 9B-SST will deliver about 160w/ch before it clips.

MT

Jack N

Agent
Eric,

I was unaware that Bryston’s had 220 capabilities. All I know is that I can’t afford them. The current draw then for the one amp would be 2100 watts divided by 220 volts = 9.5 amps. Your other amp probably won’t draw as much current so you should be able to run both amps off of the same 20 amp 220 volt circuit. Keep in mind though that if you go the 110 route, the amperage requirement doubles.

Also keep in mind, that current draw (the input side of the amp) is not the same as the power output side of the amp. Although the two are somewhat related, they are not the same and shouldn’t be associated with one another. The current draw will always be higher than the output. Your dad is much more qualified to explain why than I am.

Lastly, with the potential of drawing that much current the potential exists for substantial heat build up within the amp. Make sure it has easy access to lots of air, and make sure the air flow isn't restricted going in or coming out. It will be important for this unit to be able to breath properly so it can keep itself cool. And don't stack your amps on top of each other.

-Jack

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
ah, divide by 220. I know absolutely nothing compared to you guys. I was going to stack the amps. i guess that i will not be doing that now.

Eric

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
mike, it is 12 gauge wiring, and it is already setup for a 20 amp circuit. I asked my dad. He has a 20 amp ciruit going to each of the rooms. He just doesn't have the 20amp special outlets for the one power outlet for the circuit is being split throughout the entire room. But it is on a 20 amp breaker obviously.

Anyways...how do you like your bryston's? i realize that the 9bsst is just for effects, that is why i thought that 120 watts would be more than enough, but 160 watts, i'm starting to think that maybe i am wasting my money maybe on buying them. For i would NEVER use that kind of power. Power really is not the reason(more of a lesser reason really) for buying them. I am more concerned about the way that it controls the speakers(particularly the bass).The clarity and quality of the sound that it produces. Was wondering if you could tap in on your personal opinions. You could email me if you wanted. Thanks..Eric

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well considering the efficiency of your speakers and that the overall SPL's are going to additive if you will, it's not going to take a hell of a lot of power before your father cuts the power to your room. IOW a 15 amp circuit is likely overkill since the amp will be drawing way way less than that after it's on.

I am more concerned about the way that it controls the speakers(particularly the bass).
This means what?

The clarity and quality of the sound that it produces.
So long as your amp has sufficient power, and all that you've looked at and probably thought of do, we're talking inconsequential here eric. Perhaps the best reason for overspecifying an amp would be that you'd be looking to change out your speakers for something else in the near future and you want to play the 'cover your ass' game.

MikeTz

Stunt Coordinator
Eric:

I like my Brystons very much but I use the 9B-SST for SACD playback into full range center and side channels, so the power is necessary. It might be overkill for theater in a small room. The Bryston reproduces bass well, it's powerful, fast, quiet, distortion free and has a great 20 year warranty.

You can get very nice multi-channel amplifiers for a quarter the cost if you plan on using it to power side and rear channels (especially if they are set to "small"). The Anthem PVA-5 for instance will give you 105w/ch into 5 channels with very low distortion for around $1000. There are many other amps in this class as well.

However if you want to listen to mutichannel music loud, or you have a large room, the extra power of a Bryston (or amp with similar output power) may be necessary.

As far as power dissipation, I doubt you'll ever get close to using the full output power of the Bryston even at loud volume unless you have a really large room. This is especially true of the 4B-SST. A 20 amp outlet is fine but a 15A will probably also be fine.

MT

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
i think that i am going to go with the sherbourn 7/2100A. I think that i am just WAY overbuying with the bryston. I mean, it is OBVIOUSLY extemely nice, but i probably don't need nor would appreciate right now the subleties that would make it the better amplifier.

Thanks a lot guys, and of course chu! I REALLY appreciate your input, i would probably just feel lost in the woods without you when it comes to home theater decisions.

Eric

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
At the prices you're considering eric and with your speakers, you've got scores of amps to choose from, any of which would have no problem with your speakers. That really makes the buying process very difficult and were others to have chimed in, you'd easily have another 20 brands to choose from. A couple of other thoughts to muddle your mind (better to muddle it now than have you second guessing yourself later, right?) that might influence your decision would be things like...
does the amp you're considering have 12 volt triggers so that you can hook it up so that it can be remotely started and turned off?
if the pre-pro has balanced outputs (I just don't remember) then maybe it'd be nice to get an amp that also supports balanced inputs.
imagine the worst case scenario...the amp dies...what's going to be involved in getting it fixed and if required, are you prepared to pay s/h one way to get the problem taken care of.
if it comes down to two amps and you can't decide ask your girlfriend which one she likes then pick the other one. you'll have your amp longer than the girlfriend. :D

Your father sounds like a hell of a nice accomodating person. Do something nice for him on father's day to let him know how lucky you are like take him out for a steak. Dads like that kind of stuff you know.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
that's nice chu...I will have to do something like that for my dad. I sometimes think that he can be a real bonehead, so maybe it's good that someone let's me know how much i should appreciate him and my mother sometimes.

Oh yes, and NEVER ask a girl what you should buy, i thought you were serious for a moment there, until you said pick the other one. humorous yet so true. Maybe that's what's funny..

Anyway, the sherwood does NOT have XLR, only RCA. That is another reason why i feel i would be overly buying with the bryston. The Sherbourn 7/2100A has a music switch that remotely cues the amplifier to turn on with the pre/pro turning on.

I know that balanced is better, but what exactly does it do(besides obviously balancing of course) Is it a noticable difference?

Thanks chu
~Eric

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It might be useful in long runs if you were to have the amp at one end of the room and the prepro at the other as noise pickup is minimized. That requires that both components implement balance circuitry and is probably most useful IMO when people want to place their amps next to their speakers such as running monoblocks all around. In most situations, and I do mean most, there's no sonic advantages. In a way it's one of those wants vs. needs things.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
how do you know all of this? I mean your probably REALLY smart, but still...

I'm fairly smart, and your way more advanced than me. Must be a bonified genious or something

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
well guys, i don't know if you read this anymore, but i just finally got my system all hooked up. I went with the rotel RB-1080, and RMB-1075, and it sounds AWEASOME. I couldn't imagine what something more upper would adequate, but i am just in complete AWE of this thing.

I used better cables interconnects, i know that chu will probably yell at me over cables, but i wanted to use at least good interconnects on my system.

Well thanks for the input, my sytem is AWEASOME, and it takes a 100 hours to sound best???? I only have about 40 hours on the speakers as well? I guess that it is even more up hill from here, unbelievable!!

Eric

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Why would I yell? You had a bunch of information and bought what you wanted...and no, it doesn't take 100 hours to break in! Sheesh. Now did you do something nice for your father? Huh? Sheeeet...putting up with all that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks