What's new

Amp Remote Turn/Power Antenna-One Wire (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Hi everyone,
I've got a 2004 Impreza with an glass antenna. The on glass antenna requires the power antenna lead to be connected to power the antenna amplifier. Otherwise it gets hardly any stations. I'm running a JVC LH-2000 headunit and I'll be adding a powered sub next week. When I was attaching my wiring harness, I remembered seeing that on my JVC's wiring harness, there wasn't a seperate wire for remote turn on, but rather the remote turn on/power antenna were the same wire(it even has a little sticker saying that it's for remote turn on/power antenna). I wasn't planning on adding a sub, so it wasn't a big deal to me that I had to wire up the remote turn on in order to make the on glass antenna work properly. However, now I'm wondering what I can do. Is it ok to attach the remote turn on to my powered sub and to the factory harness for the power antenna? I'd solder the connection and electrical tape it but I'm just not sure if you could split the wire like that without having issues. Hopefully you can otherwise I'm SOL(I don't wanna use speaker level inputs and as far as I know with premap inputs you need to use the remote turn on wire). Thanks for any info.

MarkO

Second Unit
Most remote power ant/remote turn ons are on a relay circuit, meaning the signal from the remote wire from the head unit dosent acually power up the amp or raise/lower the antena. it simply powers a relay (very low current draw) the relay does all the grunt work. I doubt the addition of a remote turn on will give you any problems.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Cool Marko thanks for the info. I just wasn't sure, as my Kenwood that i had in my old car, had a seperate wire for power antenna and remote turn on. I actually ran a search after I posted this and someone said that the signal of the remote turn on is so small that even a thin wire poorly connected would probably work. I figure if i use good wire and solder it nice and tight it should be ok.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I've done the same thing you're proposing for a couple of years, worked great. I've since upgraded to a decent Alpine that has the remote and PWR antenna on seperate leads. Main advantage here is that the antenna will stay down when you're listening to a CD. I like that feature as unimportant as it may be.. for one reason I can listen to music in the carwash. :D

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Scott,
Yeah for my install, it won't matter at all, as the car doesn't have an external antenna(it's in the rear window). The lead is just used to power the little antenna amplifier that makes it get usable reception. My sub comes tomorrow and I'm taking a half day on friday so hopefully by this time Friday i'll be up and running with my sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks