What's new

Amp or better speakers? (1 Viewer)

BrianRS

Stunt Coordinator
I have HTD level III towers, center, and level III mains for surrounds, all powered by a Denon 3802. It sounds pretty good to me, but always looking to improve. Would it be more worthwhile to buy amps or better speakers? Is there anywhere that I could listen to the difference between speakers driven by one receiver vs. seperate amps (live in N. Va)? Thanks for the input!

Ben Mecham

Agent
Sounds like you have a pretty good setup - the only thing I see missing is a sub. My buddy just got his SVS 20-39 PC+ and WOW it is awesome! Even when you have nice tower fronts which seem like they have plenty of bass for you, it just doesn't compare to the lower octaves that a good sub brings in. You don't only hear your music and movies, you FEEL them too. Dollar for dollar, I would say that is a much better upgrade that you will notice than switching to separates, IMHO.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
From where you are, the weak link in what you hear is most likely your room. The most fruitful path to improvement would involve room treatments and/or sub equalization (BFD).

JamesCB

Second Unit

Good point, Brian. The room acoustics is overlooked WAY too often. IMO, it is critical to have some consideration to the acoustic control of the room. Even $100,000.00 systems can sound horrible in a poorly treated room.

And don't dismiss the ceiling. Adding a absorptive panel at the first reflection point made one of the biggest (next to side wall reflections) improvements in my room.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks