What's new

Americans cut cable TV subscriptions at a hefty clip of 1.8 million (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
RobertR said:
It makes no sense at all to pay 100+ bucks a month just to avoiding renting/buying BRs.

1. The picture on a BR is going to be far superior to a cablecast, and you don't have to worry about HBO morons cropping scope pictures.

2. When you buy/rent BRs, you're paying for the movies YOU want to watch, not what they choose to show you.

3. You'll wind up saving a lot of money and/or amass a large collection of movies.

You must be buying different movies than me.

From Amazon UK, I bought...

Under the Skin(1997 Morton)
Fish Tank (less than the Criterion)
Ages of Lulu
Morvern Caller
Red Road (2006)

Fish Tank and Red Road are the only two Blu. Try Netflix/Vudu for anything but Fish Tank.

You don't want to know what I paid. (Amazon was using a 1.749 exchange)

But, Morvern Caller and Under the Skin used to get regular showings on Starz. Ages of Lulu used to hit Cinemax. Red Road may never get a US showing.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A version of a question I've asked over the years in various forms.

Does anyone have a real number (or at least a decent estimate from a reasonably unbiased source) on total PayTV customers (CableCo, Satellite, Uverse, Fios, etc). I would love to see an annual breakdown to total customers over the last 10-15 years.
The best I can find tend to be quarterly changes -- sometimes they just say XX number left, but not how many signed up or changed services -- they don't tend to give Net Numbers of subscribers.

Assuming the 2005-2007 numbers are true -- 90-95M households were on some sort of PayTV service, how many are in 2015. I've heard silly numbers like 30-40-50% have left PayTV to go to alternative services (PayTV is hemorrhaging) and I've seen numbers showing 90+M are still on PayTV (the sky really isn't falling so much).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks