Americans cut cable TV subscriptions at a hefty clip of 1.8 million

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Kevin Collins, Sep 9, 2013.

1. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    You must be buying different movies than me.

From Amazon UK, I bought...

Under the Skin(1997 Morton)
    Fish Tank (less than the Criterion)
    Ages of Lulu
    Morvern Caller
    Red Road (2006)

Fish Tank and Red Road are the only two Blu. Try Netflix/Vudu for anything but Fish Tank.

You don't want to know what I paid. (Amazon was using a 1.749 exchange)

But, Morvern Caller and Under the Skin used to get regular showings on Starz. Ages of Lulu used to hit Cinemax. Red Road may never get a US showing.

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

3. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

A version of a question I've asked over the years in various forms.

Does anyone have a real number (or at least a decent estimate from a reasonably unbiased source) on total PayTV customers (CableCo, Satellite, Uverse, Fios, etc). I would love to see an annual breakdown to total customers over the last 10-15 years.
    The best I can find tend to be quarterly changes -- sometimes they just say XX number left, but not how many signed up or changed services -- they don't tend to give Net Numbers of subscribers.

Assuming the 2005-2007 numbers are true -- 90-95M households were on some sort of PayTV service, how many are in 2015. I've heard silly numbers like 30-40-50% have left PayTV to go to alternative services (PayTV is hemorrhaging) and I've seen numbers showing 90+M are still on PayTV (the sky really isn't falling so much).