What's new

American Idol (1 Viewer)

Jodee

Screenwriter
Yes, it is even more surprising that RJ manages to hang on, given that he was not one of the 9 finalists selected by the audience in the first place. I wonder if some of the judges are regretting making him the wild card selection now?

But as I said above, he's the sole remaining cute guy, so he's pulling the teenybopper votes apparently.
got booted. While not in my Top 3, I would much rather see RJ or Nikki get the heave-ho.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm not at all impressed by any of the male singers (then again, I can't stand falsettos for the most parts). I don't get the Sideshow Bob "talent" unless it's on par with the Tom Jones hook (at least Tom Jones has a way of owning songs he sings). RJ does nothing for me either.

Nikki is okay, definitely won't win if people judge her only on talent (vocally thick, reminds me of Joan Jett). Kelly is a strange mix in singing style/voice vs. her ethnicity (but I think her voice has the most presence out of the remaining finalists and commands the most attention). Tamyra does have the Whitney Houston vibe to her. I wonder if it'll come down to Tamyra/Kelly/Sideshow Bob. Makes you wonder if EW got it right when they put Kelly and Sideshow Bob on their cover last week.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Yes, it is even more surprising that RJ manages to hang on, given that he was not one of the 9 finalists selected by the audience in the first place. I wonder if some of the judges are regretting making him the wild card selection now?
I don't think it was RJ that was the wildcard. The wildcard guy was eliminated the first out of the final ten. He also was using just his initials. JR maybe? I hope sideshow Bob gets the boot too. Notice how his attitude changed after all the crticism he received early on for his big headedness. He is and always will be a wedding singer. So phony.

Mark

Jodee

Screenwriter
Yes, it was RJ who was the wild card.
http://idolonfox.msn.com/recap/recap_04.htm
I think you're thinking of Ejay-- he wasn't one of the original 30 finalists but took the place of the guy that lied about his age. He actually did an amazing job on his first night with the audience vote and managed to make it throuh to the final 10.
But he ended up getting voted out first of the 10 finalists.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Dude, name a good slow song on Janet Jacksons "Control". All her good slow songs came afterwards.
Granted "Let's Wait Awhile" is from "Control", although not one of better ones.
As for Justin, "Sideshow Bob" suits him, but someone needs to tell him that the role of the of the Scarecrow in "The Wiz" has been already cast.
Dude, stop singing and get your sorry ass eazin' down the road home!:D

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
The thread lives !!!

Not much new to add. Still can't believe RJ is still around. Can't believe the American public let Christina get eliminated. "The mob is fickle." She was easily the best of the worst. Justin is learning you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Justin is the only one that seems comfortable moving. The others seem stiff as a board. Moving does negatively effect your singing though. Randy Jackson & Paula continue their line of babble. Even Simon has calmed down but what was the whole deal about him being upset because Christina has a fiance?

Kelly & Tamyra are too close to call as far as talent. Tamyra has a little more sex appeal and moves a little better than Kelly. That may be just enough to win her the title unless Justin can swing enough of RJ's voters once eliminated or vice versa. This may also work to Kelly's advantage a la Ross Perro.

I heard you can actually bet on the winner in Las Vegas.
Who should win? Kelly or Tamyra. Who will win? The whole RJ thingy sckrews up any logical prediction I could make. More people are voting now more than ever and as you can see Justin votes are coming back. RJ's thingy may propmt many non-voters to pick up the phone and call just so he won't win. The Dark side always clouds the future.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
Any one think Christina would make a great country singer? The whole big band thing didn't work for me and was by far their worst show over all. You couldn't really (if you are young at least) compare it to anything. I had trouble knowing if someone did great job or an OK job. It had always been my felling that if someone unexpected was going to slip in to the final 3, Christina would have been it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the worst part of this show is the allowing people to call in and vote. People will campaign for their favorite singer and will call in several thousand times to keep them in the game. Sure, they get charged, but that won't stop them. It's not fair.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I really liked the big band concept. It surely separated the good singers from the bad ones. I give RJ 2 more weeks, Nikki will be the next one off, although with the voting crowd, he may well end up in the final 3.

What I wonder is that when they do the '80's, will anyone of them select a Paula Abdul song?

Thank goodness the bickering between the judges has calmed down a bit. Apparently the judges were spoken to by the Fox execs. after Paula's comment of Simon being breastfed by his father.

And now they are trying to option a movie with the final 2 contestants? Interesting, will it be similiar to "Truth or Dare"?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Then it's even more unfair. I like the idea of America choosing the people, but the way they do it means people can vote as much as they want to, and that's just not fair.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Apparently the judges were spoken to by the Fox execs. after Paula's comment of Simon being breastfed by his father.
Man, that must be something drastic for a Fox exec to ask them to "tone it down".
That's sort of like being kicked out of Guns n Roses, isn't it? :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
THey caller ID each call and eliminate repeats

That being said, I really can't believe this show is still on.

Whoever wins will go on to be the latest cookie-cutter idol, and frankly, I think we can do without it. Rock bands will be coming back in in a year or 2, and whoever this "idol" is will be trampled with the rest of them

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe 2 of the 5 finalists are from the north-northeast side of just outside Atlanta (I work in Norcross, where Tamyra's from).

Maybe I'm a bit easy, but my nipples got hard listening to Kelly sing (though her phrasing of "Walk on by" was not what I'm used to). I like the bluesiness, but she's shutting herself from a lot of material if she stays in that style because she's got a good solid memorable voice.

I thought Tamyra's got the pipes to be a diva within the next 5 years, but she was all over the map with "A house is not a home," just a bit too much, she needs to stay within the zip code of the auditorium she's performing in.

Justin was a bit too sing-songy in his rendition of "The Look of Love" (I'm used to Diana Krall singing it on her latest album that I almost didn't recognize it when Justin was signing it.

RJ and Nikki are mainly Star Search fodder. I don't know why AI drags out the inevitable. Cut them both loose and get on with it.

It will be a showdown between Kelly and Tamyra, and depending on song choice and performance, the better singer will win. But both will have a good shot at a career in singing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Rock bands will be coming back in in a year or 2, and whoever this "idol" is will be trampled with the rest of them
Possibly, but that would be more a personal failure than due to their chosen genre of music. Even during the grunge/indie rock phase a few years back there were still pop groups and divas that had great success. One genre sometimes has the majority rule on the charts, but we never completely lose any of them.

Ron Biles

Grip
I can't believe 2 of the 5 finalists are from the north-northeast side of just outside Atlanta (I work in Norcross, where Tamyra's from).
That's really strange, considering that Kelly and Nikki are both from the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.

Nikki was horribly flat last night and RJ was just blah! I expect to see one of them go, but couldn't pick which one.

Hopefully Kelly and Tamyra will be the last two (definitely the best singers.) Unfortunately I can see Justin getting votes based on his appearance. This is a Pop idol contest after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks