What's new

American Idol - Season 7 (2 Viewers)

trnqk7

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler Nickell

I agree-Hanson, you seem to have a personal issue with David Cook and are letting that get in the way of your critiques. You generally are very honest and accurate, as Simon is, but something is getting in the way for you this time. If you don't like his singing, hey, to each their own. But the continuing "douchebag" and "fraudulent" postings about David Cook are distracting and detract from your overall analysis. :frowning:

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
For all the claims, accusations, and superlatives I hurl without substantiation, you consider that to be a nominee for over the top statement of the year?

Sir, I believe your statement was over the top.

"Promulgate" is a perfectly cromulent word.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jeez, Hanson, that Priscilla vs. The Joker picture had me howling.

Another great week for you.

Before I continue, my regrets to hear about Elliot's Mom passing
away. I remember IDOL showing how proud she was of her son
and the parade being thrown in his honor. So good that she was
able to savor of all of it prior to her death.

Moving on to this week's show....

How cruel to subject these kids to Dolly Parton songs. The show
barely kept my interest. It's obvious to see that the two Davids will
be battling it out to the end. Both seem to be the frontrunners at
this point.

The only thing that bothers me are the recent reports of David
Archuleta's father who seems to be misguiding his son as of late.
There are reports that he is a doting stage father who has brought
his son to tears with his demands for perfection. All I know is that
many times song choices are less than perfect. Don't want the father
to ruin this very talented kid.

Time for Kristy to go home.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I thought it was pretty cool of Cook to come out and AGAIN credit the arrangements to others. Do we REALLY think the judges believe these kids have the time to learn a song, practice, do their Idol PR, AND create a wholly original arrangement in a week? I don't. Why didn't Cook speak up when the judges heaped praise on the arrangements? Ruled #1: don't talk back to or discuss with the judges. It makes you look clumsy and takes away from your performance. Just smile and nod. Nothing fraudulent here. Let's hope he is ok with the blood pressure.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The tabloids are cover scare reporting that *he* has brain cancer instead of his brother (when you open it up, things are probably made clearer). I'm sure this will only add fire to those who insist it's David who is suffering. Meanwhile, it's a really tough thing for him to have to deal with on top of Idol. I could see it taking him out of the game mentally.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

:)

I was merely commenting on the fact that it's by no means "fraudulent," any more than singing the Whitney version of "I Will Always Love You," is stealing votes from the "I like big voices and stupid runs and way-too-long notes" crowd.

Just because Cook is picking lesser-known covers doesn't in the slightest mean he's trying to pass them off as his own. In fact, I would say it speaks more to him as an artist that he experiences other versions of popular songs, rather than downloading the "greatest hits," compilation from itunes, which I would bet real money on the fact some contestants (like David A.) do.

cheers!

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Simon said exactly what I felt -- Brooke sang "Jolene" without emotion when it is such an angsty song. Wow.

Loved Michael Johns. He's one of my favorites, and his voice was finally strong through the whole song without the one sour note he's hit twice.

I'm picking Syesha to go home tonight for singing that horrid song.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Actually, there was an interesting subtext I didn't catch in time for the blog, which is, David combined the Doxology version of Eleanor Rigby with some other version I couldn't make out. So in David's mind, since he cobbled two versions together (for which he did take credit for), it was his version. Which is why he clearly did not credit Doxology (or anyone) the first Beatles night. Doxology raised a little stink about that. So since that night, there has been credit given. So yes, he did try to pass it off as his own.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

I would have to go back and listen to the judges. First of all, anything Paula says does not count. Second, I don't know that I agree that Simon and/or Randy called David 'talented' for coming up with the arrangements. I've heard the words 'brave', 'daring', 'risky'...but, 'talented'? I don't think so.

I'll reiterate - the judges may not have heard Cornell's version or Doxology's version. But, I doubt they think these kids are coming up with an arrangement on their own. They're already way too busy. They're fully aware of the talent of the house band (who, I'm sure, take time working on the arrangements), and they likely could care less if Chris Cornell sang Bilie Jean like a rock ballad first. It doesn't make Cook's rendition less risky. IF the judges called Cook a talented arranger/producer I would be surprised because I don't see them thinking that way. AND, it has little to do with the nature of the contest. This is not American Idol Producer/Arranger.

So, again, I don't think Cook has done anything wrong. His 'damage control' moment with Ryan was strictly PR - he doesn't want a voter backlash.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Sure it makes it less risky....Because it was done before, successfully, by a major rock star.

The success of that cover by Cornell is well known to Soundgarden, Audioslave and Cornell fans, of which I'm sure David Cook is one of them...So he took a song and arrangement that he knew would work, and he performed it. Where's the risk in that?

I give Cook credit for being able to cover that cover because I doubt any of the other contestants could have. But this was far less risky of a move than if Cook had relied on the house band to arrange Billie Jean for him...because they'd have given him an arrangement for which he'd have no idea if it would work, or not.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wow, a shocker in the bottom 3: Brooke! But she was sent back to the safety sofa. Buh-bye Ramiele, you just never brought your A game, and probably lasted 2-3 weeks longer than you should have.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
I'm jealous of Ramielle - Kristy buried her head so far in her boobs that I thought she was going to smother the poor little girl :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Please tell me next week is Mariah Carey week. Seeing that it's Idol Gives Back and no one will be eliminated, I will safely be able to skip it all. Though, it would be interesting to see WTF David Cook could make of her music. Or, maybe they'll do like with Gwen and make it "songs she likes."

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

I'd gladly stoop to her level...
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks