What's new

American Idol - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Well, I guess someone realized that David had done Chris Cornell's version of Billie Jean, as mentioned by Ryan. I don't know if anyone was aware of it when David performed the song. Maybe they figured it out when Chris Cornell called them.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I didn't watch the Season Kimberley Locke was on, but I've seen some of her performances on YouTube. However, that song she performed doesn't look destined to set any records. It's a tough thing going from performing songs that have already succeeded by artists who've laid a template to venturing out into the unknown. Tough job being a recording artist.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
that song was a pretty big hit on country radio already. Clay Walker recorded it.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

Since when has Idol been about arrangements? Originality? What show are you watching? Idol is not about arranging songs, writing songs or being original. It's a singing competition. David Cook is singing his ass off every week.

I could care less which arrangement he does or if he gives credit to a particular artist's version. I care about his performances and he is the only contestant that turns Idol into a concert when he's on stage. He has a powerful voice with great tone and he commands the stage. And his sneer is more "God, I'm enjoying this" rather than "God, I'm awesome."

The guy is a star. He'll sell records whether he comes in last or 1st.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

I'm wondering the same thing. Chikeze deserved better. Ramiele and Kristy Cook have officially WAY overstayed their welcome. Come on, voters!

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston

I agree. A.I. is essentially a glorified karaoke show. I don't see how any of the participants can really break out into anything original when they are not singing their own songs anyway.

Which leads me to another point. If anyone thinks any of these kids are 'arranging' their own versions of these songs they are kidding themselves. Sure...they may have some ideas on tempos and such...but Ricky Minor and his band and many other uncredited professional arrangers are customizing these songs for these kids and really doing all of the 'arranging.' I would be very surprised if any of these kids knew how to write parts for the strings sitting on stage...or a bass line...or parts for the brass...or anything other than deal with the general melody they want to sing. Heck...I bet half of them don't even know how to read music. They are all singers with varying degrees of natural musical talent and stage presence...some better than others...and it should probably be left at that.

ok...off my soapbox now.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Considering that most of the other contestants have no act at all, he's ahead of the game either way.

For other examples of on-stage "pretentious douchebags," see Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, the Stones, the Who, Kiss, The Clash, Bruce Springsteen, Motley Crue, Pearl Jam, Green Day, whatever the latest Emo acts are, and everyone in between. It's called "rock and roll." :P

Oops, I almost forgot -- Peter Frampton! :D

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Let's not forget Led Zeppelin, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Van Halen (all incarnations), any hair band ever, etc, etc pretentiousness comes in many forms

One man's "pretentious douchebag" is someone else's "greatest show ever".....

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

Hmmmm...I think it WAS a glorified karaoke show ONCE. But, it isn't anymore. Most of these kids can clearly play 1 or more instruments - at performance level. I'll grant you that Kathryn McPhee probably just sings whatever they put in front of her, but Daughtry, Cook, and others can clearly write music and arrange songs. We're getting more and more contestants who are already in bands and writing original music.

So, the show has evolved and the talent is the reason. I think it's one of the reasons the show is not going the way of Star Search. It gets bigger and better every year. Allowing the kids to bring instruments to their performances was a great idea.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I only wish there were some HTML tag to run my post through a talk box!

I liked your post about the Dancing With The Stars chicks, too. ;)

Paul D G

Screenwriter

Well, I wasn't going to say it first :) but, yeah, that's what my wife and I suspect. The Filipino community rallying for one of their own. We suspected the same of Sanjaya's endless reign of terror. Eventually they will get out numbered and quality will prevail, but at the cost of some decent talent.

She drives us nuts on elimination night. She comes out looking like she's about to be yelled at for breaking curfew then is a wreck after the elimination is announced. I mean, really, when you're one of three people left backstage, there's one more to be selected as the bottom three, and you get called next how can you possibly not know that you're safe?

-paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks