What's new

American Idol - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

I think Clay in was in the same group as Ruben and Kimberly Locke, so he didn't make it in the first go-round, but on the wild-card vote, Clay was the vote-in amongst the rest of the ones who weren't top 2 in their group. Season 2 had a strange convoluted way of settling for the final 12.

I think it was top 24 performing in 4 groups of 6, and the top 2 from each group made it to the top 12, and that the judges got to pick 1 each from the remainder, and the public voted in one person, and that got them to 12 finalists, and Clay was the people's choice in that wildcard bonus round.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Who is Carrie?

A) Carrie Underwood, the most successful American Idol winner to date.

B) The girl that had a bloody prom night

C) The girl who played Princess Leia in the original Star Wars Trilogy, turned to drugs, and became a not-so-great judge on a not-so-great AI-type show about people wanting to become Directors.

D) The girl you lost your virginity to.

E) The girl you didn't lose your virginity to, but wanted to.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Actually, that's not correct. Clay was the viewers Wild Card choice. In season two, there were 8 finalists with four Wild Card spots. Each of the three judges chose a Wild Card and the viewers chose the fourth.

Simon chose Carmen Rasmusen (ended up 6th)
Paula chose Trenyce (ended up 5th)
Randy chose Kimberly Caldwell (ended up 7th)
and the Viewers chose Clay Aiken (ended up 2nd)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Goes to show how different everyone's opinions are, I didn't like Danny at all. I noticed that he seemed very chummy with Ramiele, he was hugging her during Blake's performance, during girls' night he was wearing her geeky large glasses (which Ryan commented on) and when he got booted she seemed really upset -- although she's had the waterworks on for everyone that has left, it seemed of a different magnitude, and after Danny finished his encore I think she was the first one he sought out.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

A quick trip out of town and work put me behind on AI this week, so I don't know if this gets mentioned in the next page or two of posts: USAToday.com's Friday poll was : "Which Top 12 Contestant do you want to win Season 7?" The last numbers I saw (with 4700 total votes) showed David A. with 47%, then two contestants were tied for second place with 11% each...

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I'd have trouble seeing her as racy even if she tried to be racy. As it is, I doubt anyone would give the photos two thoughts if they weren't attached to a story about "racy photos". There's no there, there.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
So what is it about that photo that is "racy"? I didn't know goofing around with your friends was "racy".

Man, the press must really be trying hard to find dirt if that is the best they can come up with.

RickGr

Second Unit
David Cook and Brooke White were great tonight as was Carly and I think Amanda just puts some balls in the girl side of this popularity contest.

David A was horrible but will probaly get the most votes as the tweeners are calling scores of times for him.

Kristy Lee, if you are going to country a Len/Mac song pick a different one to do so with.

John Swarce

Second Unit
I think the girls really stood out tonight, while David Cook did the best job of the guys. I feel bad that David Archuletta forgot the lyrics....he just looked lost. Like "a rabbit in the headlights", as Simon would say.

Liked Carly and Brooke a lot. Amanda is a one trick pony to me, as all her songs sound the same. I would love to hear her sing a ballad once, just to hear her not shout a song.

Kristie Lee really did an awful job with that arrangement. Do the contestants do their own arrangements, and do they have help from Ricky and the band? You would think someone would have said, "Ah, Kristy Lee, that's not going to work....."

My pick to go is Jason Castro. Didn't feel he did much with his song.

--John

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
What a mixup for me tonight. I really haven't liked Cheezy and the Aussie but both did a good job tonight.

Then there is Kristie lee. I have really liked Kristie until tonight. I was a fan of hers and I like country music but this just didnt work for her. She went beyond country to "kiss your sister and pass the grits" music. She needs to stay "country rock", not go the full on Dolly Parton country.

Poor David A. Good thing he has a huge following.

I think my favorite of the night was David Cook.

It was a strange night.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
The idea of AI contestants covering Beatles tunes really made me cringe and these performances are exactly why.

Sayesha: Boring. This girl is cute, has an amazing smile and in my opinion could be very marketable...except she has no personality on stage.

Chikezie: His best performance to date.

Jason: I enjoyed his performance last week, but it occured to me tonight that every song he's done has pretty much been the same. He needs to mix it up a bit because he's getting boring and tiresome.

Carly: I'm saying this every week it seems and now is no different. I don't get what all the fuss is about with her. She was decent this week, but still bordering on shrieking half the time and she does nothing for me.

Ramiele: Another dull performance.

David Cook: Good performance of Eleanor Rigby and did a nice job making the song rock more.

Amanda: I thought this was her best performance since the auditions, but still, she's a one trick pony.

David Hernandez: Not only boring, but cheesy.

Michael: Could he be any more emotion-less?

Kristy: Holy crap, that was terrible. What was she thinking?

Brooke: Her facial expressions while she sings bug me and it looked to me like she was totally uncomfortable behind the piano, but overall she was ok.

David Archuleta: The shine has definitely come off this kid. There's no way he'll be voted off, but I at least hope the fans recogznize that he was awful this week.

Should go home: Kristy
Will go home: Ramiele

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I think the problem with David A is that he is too immature. He is only 16. And while he may have the singing voice of someone older. He seems very immature off the stage. He gets very emotional. And I think he is not ready for the fame and attention he will get being on the show.

David Cooke and Brooke were the best.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Syesha Mercado - "Got to Get You Into My Life" - good performance, even though the start was a little rocky, but the rest of the song settled into a nice groove. A negative is that she didn't really make me want to hum that song over and over like a sparkling performance will do, so I didn't feel a lot of inspiration emanating from her performance, overall.

Chikezie - "She's a Woman" - His manic performance was offset by his wardrobe, so it looked a little strange at times, but he provided a solid vocal performance, and had some fun with it.

Ramiele Malubay - "In My Life" - Though I wish she had sung in a higher key, her vocals had a nice lilt and melodic tone, very controlled, almost too controlled since it went into a monotonous place where she never was able to get out of a rut, and rendered the song inert.

Jason Castro - "If I Fell" - The more I hear him sing, the more I'm convinced he's a one-trick-pony, and his falsetto is weak, and his singing is labored on even the soft notes, and brings nothing to the song. His "labored" singing makes it seem like he's connecting with the song, but to me, it's just pandering for the votes.

Carly Smithson - "Come Together" - I thought her voice got stuffed in some strange place which resulted in her singing in her higher registers, but I wanted some mid-bass to her voice, and she only displayed the mid-bass tone in 2 lines, so I wasn't blown away by it, and it just sounded thin overall.

David Cook - "Eleanor Rigby" - I kinda hated how little of melody of the song remained after it got filtered through his rock-style vocals. The start was shaky, like he was uninterested in the song, but by the time he hits the chorus hard, his just went for it and committed to the performance and finished strong.

Brooke White - "Let It Be" - Now I would call that a safe performance, and I would have rather that she not play the piano while singing because she was distracted vocally in spots, and never got into a falsetto when she could have and just had to press on with the piano playing. Plus, the song is so repetitive most of the time. But, overall, still an earnest effort.

David Hernandez - "Saw Her Standing There" - I didn't like the arrangement, and it was too slow-sounding (like a 45 rpm single record played at 33 1/3 rpm on the record player), and lost that snap and urgency of the song itself. So, he tried something new, but it just didn't do the song justice.

Amanda Overmeyer - "You Can't Do That" - Well, she rebounded with a performance that totally made that song her own because I would not have ever believed McCarthy/Lennon wrote it. It was a-melodic as hell, but she made it work, and gave a solid performance on stage, but it'd sound pretty average on the radio. Also liked how her pants almost matched her hair.

Michael Johns - "Across the Universe" - a really strong vocal performance, bolstered by the acoustic sound (he sounds better with acoustic backing, as the amp'd instruments tended to drown him out). His vocals made for a nice melodic expression of the song. I liked it.

Kristy Lee Cook - "Eight Days a Week" - Wow, that was a manic-country-fried version of a classic that just didn't quite work, and she really needs to work on not looking a little bored during the performance. It might have sounded better if Alvin, Simon and Theodore joined her on stage.

David Archuleta - "We Can Work It Out" - Holy Crash and Burn! He dropped words and had no confidence, and just sort of stumbled through the song, and it was a below average performance. Yikes.

-------------

Rankings

Enjoyable
Michael Johns
Brooke White
David Cook
Chikezie

Middling
Amanda Overmeyer
Syesha Mercado
Carly Smithson
Ramiele Malubay

Under-performed
David Hernandez
David Archuleta

Once was enough:
Jason Castro
Kristy Lee Cook

I think Chikezie or Kristy Lee Cook is going home (simply due to Chikezie barely registering with the voting viewers.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
If David H. doesn't go home tomorrow night I'll be very surprised - sure hope it ain't Kristy leaving even though she deserves it too - what a train wreck... and speaking of train wrecks - David A. is lucky he's had such strong performances to date or he'd be gone - that was a terrible performance that if done back in Hollywood week 1 he'd have gone home for forgetting the lyrics. Wonderkid really sucked tonight and showed he doesn't have the maturity to handle winning American Idol.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wish the golden boy would be leaving, but I think it'll be Kristy.

Chikeze was on fire. Loved that. David Cook was good, too. I can't judge Carly too much because I've always thought Come Together was such a stupid song. And, as much as I love Brooke, that was a pretty dull song choice.

Kristy went past country to bluegrass. The only way she'll be saved is if David H's horrible performance gets him the axe.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I dont watch AI but was flipping through the channels when Amanda was on and man, did she look hot last night.

Just sayin.....

Loved the GForce pants too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks