What's new

American Idol - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Anyway, I'm sure about CeCe, but not BeBe, as my mental picture has him fairly muscular and the guy up there singing was pretty small.

That was indeed BeBe Winans, whom I've personally known for going on 15 years now. BeBe was NEVER a muscular guy. In fact, in his REAL heyday, when it was BeBe and CeCe, he was pretty hefty (fat), and about 8 years ago started working out and losing weight. That changed his appearance somewhat, but last night he had the added changes of a shaved head and a shaved beard as well.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I agree, the beat boxing was the best part of the show.
At the end of that act, I was waiting for the cam to pan over to Simon and have him say, "What in the bloddy hell was THAT?"

For me the lowest point of the show, even out of all of the horrible "awards", Sanjaya/Perry, etc. was Carrie Underwoon singing "She's Leaving Home." Not only did it just sound really bad, but that song is supposed to be a lullaby. It has soft lead vocals as Paul tells the story. She totally misread everything about the song and sang at the top of her lungs in some parts. It was clear she didn't know anything about that song. Total train wreck.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
No surprise as to the result. Yes, there was plenty of filler, but I found that it was all reasonably entertaining.

Gotta agree with all the above. If Bette thinks she can take over from Celine, she really needs to work on it.

Hearing Melinda sing, with the Winans, just highlighted how this is so not a "singing comp-per-ti-tion" (as Simon keeps stressing). But given Simon's comment (posted earlier), I have little doubt that 19 is going to try and sign her as well, and will no doubt push her as well.

As I understand it, only the winner is obliged to sign on with 19, right? And the other restriction is that no competitor is allowed to release an album before the winner's comes out?

Anyway, well done Jordin. I commented earlier in the season that whilst Jordin has a very nice tone to her voice, she doesn't have much control over it -- yet. Yes, she's 17, so she hasn't had much training so far I guess, and has plenty of time to learn and she just might go on to have a very long and successful career.

Oh, and references to Jerry Springer, but not the Hoff? :laugh:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think Blake knew it last week just after Melinda was sent packing.

And there's no way in hell he would want "This is My Now" to be his first single, so he's probably glad/relieved to be runner-up. ;)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

You can never have enough angry, bitter "good riddance" songs. Another great one is Daughtry's "Over You" -- love the different way he says "you" in every chorus, dripping with scorn/dismissal.

While I was rooting for Blake, the outcome was obvious. I'm just glad this season is over. I had thought about quitting watching when there were no rockers in the final 24 this year, but somehow got sucked in again!

Bring on "Hell's Kitchen"! :)

MikeM

Screenwriter
You can say that again!

One of the best moments of the Idoal finale was when I fast forwarded thru the commericals had to say "Woah, wait a sec" and stop to rewind the ad for Hell's Kitchen. Can't wait. "Why are you cryyyyyyying?" hahaha

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I can, apparently. How about "I Will Survive" instead? That's about a woman who truly has moved on and only has to deal with the jackass because he came back into her life. I was never impressed with Alanis trying to slash out at Joey Gladstone after he'd long since dumped her sorry ass.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
And don't forget that So You Think You Can Dance premieres tonight. I wouldn't be caught dead watching Dancing with the Stars, but this show we like.

And hells yeah to Hell's Kitchen.

STUPID DONKEY!

Oh, and I had requested that picture of Sasquatch for a Separated at Birth with the new look Elliot Yamin.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
In case anyone's interested, both Jordin and Blake have five track EP's available on iTunes. All are studio versions of songs they did in the final 12 portion of the competition.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am starting to think the Audio on the HD feed is vastly different than the SD feed.

I thought Carrie was great and that Kelly didn't sound that good. But when I got here, it seems like people thought the opposite. I am watching the SD feed. Maybe the HD feed had some technical issues?

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I liked the finale more than most, it seems.

I enjoyed seeing all the past singers, though romantic duets between people who have no genuine affection for each other (Jordin and Ruben, etc.) always leaves me a little queasy. In that regard, I enjoyed the Blake / Doug E Fresh duet best. Haley's strutting (head tosses, side hip thrusts, etc.) has become ridiculous, though she's still hot. I thought the guys sounded good with Smokey -- some even better than when they were on their own. It was nice to see Melinda sing with folks she was familiar with, though I'd rate the performance good, not stellar. Sanjaya fans definitely got their fill throughout the night. I was glad to see Stephanie back as I thought she left too soon, but I don't think she did anything with her stage time. It's almost as if being booted killed her spirit. I think in the past, only the Top 10 went on tour, and she got booted before that, so she might not be going. Phoning it in?

OK, back to Blake and Doug E. Fresh. I've known the name Doug E. Fresh, but if asked for one of his records, I'd have failed to name one. That's not a slight to Doug E. Fresh, just an acknowledgment that my knowledge of his era of hip-hoppers is cursory. However, the song he started with is one I heard back my clubbing days, though I've no idea what it's called (anyone?). That said, my real point is I wanted to give kudos to Blake for that performance. I can honestly say after watching American Idol over the last couple of years, that's something I never thought I'd see under the "American Idol" umbrella. It was almost like watching a scene from 8 Mile. In the moment, I felt like Blake was indeed the beatbox champion from Seattle, and had at least some legitimate hip-hop vibe. Did that make him a great singer? Well, no. America picked the right winner between those two. It's like the judges said -- Jordin is the best singer, but Blake is the best performer. Out from under the American Idol umbrella, there's room for both in the entertainment industry. I just hope those who denigrate the "beatboxing" stuff saw something that let them know it isn't anywhere near as easy (no talent necessary) as they might have believed. And kudos to American Idol for letting them do it (even though Simon looked sideways through the whole performance). At least the theater audience seemed to appreciate it by and large.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Yes, I think only the Top 10 again go on tour. I don't see why they don't let the Top 12 go -- Brandon Rogers and Stephanie Edwards must have felt like crap having to perform and knowing they don't get to go on tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks