What's new

American Idol - Season 5 (35 Viewers)

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark

Had the problem here but thought it was because of the storm warnings we were having. When it came back on after the 20 second blank screen, it was in SD with a bunch of storm warnings crawling along the bottom of the screen. For some reason when we have storm warnings, they have to turn off the HD feed and go SD. I'm kind of glad as on all the SD stations in Indy, they have constant crawls and blinking maps everytime it rains it seems. If there actually is a big storm, they stop broadcasting the network and track it. They leave the crawl and maps off the HD broadcast, but when going "LIVE" they turn the HD off and track the storm. Occasionally, they will go SD and show the crawl, then switch back to HD. That is what I thought happened last night.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
MikeM,

I noticed this too and busted out laughing - my kids wanted to know why and I rewound that part. My kids go "David Hassellhoff. That's the guy from the SpongeBob movie". Of course I laugh even harder then.

RickGr

Second Unit
"Hearing Mandisa do Aretha was almost surreal. I Say A Little Prayer For You"

IRC tha is not an Aretha number but a Ms. Warwick one.

Gary_E

Second Unit
My humble opinion:

Taylor is the best entertainer Idol has spawned to date. If he doesn't get poisoned by unyielding record executives, I believe he will succeed to high levels because he appeals to many demographics.

He can be a double threat both in the recording studio and more importantly promoting his material performing in a concert setting.

I have never considered going to see any other idol contestant but I'd go see Taylor perform and buy his recordings.

-Gary

mylan

Screenwriter
I thought MeatLoaf was doing that shaky thing with his voice because the lyrics were " i'm so cold" but I believe it must be the start of Parkinson's Disease.
This was a highly entertaining finale, if a little bloated. There was so much to get in that Tayor really didn't get to bask in his glory before the show ended. Having Prince there was a real feat but he had nothing to do with the show.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
It's been real - I'm probaly too old to be spending time discussing a crazy reality singing show, but it was fun. See everyone again next season.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

Well, it's a Bacharach song, and both Aretha and Dionne have versions of it. In fact, I have both on CD. However, Mandisa channeled Aretha.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I thoroughly enjoyed watching the show last night. I tivo'd it and starting watching it 45 minutes into the show and I still finished on time. Best singer of the night was Mary J Blige, although I prefer the performance with Bono on the Grammys. I swear that Ryan said that all of the performances were over, but then Prince comes out and sings a couple songs?

My HD feed in Chicago was all messed up just before the "In the Ghetto" performance, they were replaying the "Do you think I'm sexy" Simon video for a couple minutes a second time instead before cutting over to Taylor and Toni Braxton. I also seemed to get more sound glitches than normal, like pop and crackles even in the surrounds, more than what I'm used with an occasional sound dropout with the cable dvr that I have.

Overall, I was very impressed with the entire top 12, well top 10 at least, still don't care at all for Kevin's singing. Also impressed by the cowboy trio's singing ability considering how early they were let go in the show. One comment I found funny (because it's true) was Ryan pointing out the similarity of looks of Chris and the Live lead singer due to the bald heads.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Me too. It was like Ryan forgot there was still one more thing to do. It really looked like he screwed up. I also notices that Prince just walked off the stage when he was done like he was pissed at Ryan. LOL probably not, but that is what I was thinking at the time.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm normally not a fan of the results shows. I even got out a book to read during last nights episode. Yet, it was so entertaining, I put it down early on and watched the whole thing.

A couple thoughts.

Did Mary J. Blige know she was supposed to be doing a duet? She seemed to take over. Wouldn't let Elliott sing.

Same with the Clay Aiken fan. Loved how he actually thought that he was supposed to continue singing along, and Ryan had to drag him away.

Don't know what was up with Meat Loaf or Toni Braxton. Both sounded awful. And Taylor sort of freaked out when she grabbed his arm to pull toward her.

I like a lot of Prince's stuff, but not the two songs he did last night. Big surprise to see him, but I liked a lot of the Idols performances better.

Pickler should get her own sit com, rather than do the singing thing. I loved the Puck and Pickler stuff.

Did everyone catch the disclaimer at the end that "Rhonda", the foul mouthed contestant in the taped bits was actually an actress?

And there was also a disclaimer that "Power dialing" votes are disqualified. Does that mean the DialIdol votes?

I was liking the show so much, I forgot about the final results for a while.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I don't think he screwed up. He was all like "That's it, no more surprises." Then bam. Biggest surprise of the night. He knew exactly what he was doing. So did Prince. The walking off thing wasn't him pissed, it was just Prince. As if he'd be seen shaking Seacrest's hand or something. Please. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks