What's new

American Idol - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd

YES, I have to agree but for some reason I cant figure out its like their PRO Elliot ...strange.

IMHO-She was the best and I did see the dress mal-function too. AND I do have it on dvr too.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Even though Kellie was worse, I think Paris will be leaving tomorrow night. Kellie has enough of a fan base to weather her bad performance one more week.

My wife and I both thought Katharine was great and were shocked the judges panned her.

danak

Second Unit
I would suggest that any west coast fans (and anywhere else still able to vote) of Paris do some major voting for her tonight, because she's in trouble if DialIdol is to be believed. But glory be, so is Kellie!

Dana

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Snikt snikt snikt. Boy, the judges really sharpened their knives for tonight, eh? It’s nice to see Paula try to be a bit critical but her incoherence is painful to listen to. Randy seemed hate everything and Simon was waaay off the mark tonight, over-praising on occasion and then just gutting contestants for no apparent reason. Really, only one of the contestants actually deserved it (you know who you are, Pickler). BTW, I am sorry if I’m a bit distracted and rambly, but I’ve been checking the DialIdol rankings every ten minutes like election results and I keep losing my train of thought when I get back to writing. I love and hate that site. I also mostly liked David Foster’s mostly unvarnished feedback, although you have to be suspect about someone who works with Celine Dion, the worst singer in the known universe. Hearing her sing makes me cry, not the kind with tears, but rather, “Oh my God my ears are bleeding! Turn it off! Turn it off!”

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
I just finished reading Hanson's critique and I was wondering if I was still on the Home Theater Forum site. All of a sudden I thought I was reading Mr Blackwell's worst dressed list. You critiqued her shoes? Did you and your wife write the review together? I've been watching this show for all 5 seasons and never noticed anyone's shoes. I guess I'm just oblivious to fashion and style. I did notice Katherine's cleavage and quick panty flash though. Its all good.

I thought Elliott and Chris were the best tonite. That Donny Hathaway song is one of my favorites and I thought Elliott did an admirable job. I enjoyed Chris' performance also. He's got a good radio voice.

I don't think Katherine was as bad as the judges said, but anytime you do a Whitney song the comparisons are inevitable.

Paris tried to sing The Way We Were more like Gladys Knight than Barbara Streisand. She sounds much older than her 17 years, that's for sure. She's got a very powerful voice. I actually have a couple Sounds of Blackness albums so I am familiar with her grandmother Ann Nesby. But I'd guess the majority of the Idol audience isn't.

I thought Taylor's performance was very karaoke tonite. Did absolutely nothing for me.

Kellie was aweful, why is she still here? And the hair did remind me of the "gel" from There's Something About Mary. Good call on that one.

Top 3: Elliott, Chris and Katherine
Bottom 3: Paris, Kellie and Taylor.

Should go: Kellie
Probably Will Go: Paris

For whatever reason, Kellie has too much of a fan base. Eventually her bad singing will catch up to her, I hope its Wednesday.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Four Word Recap™ time:
(in order from best to worst)

Elliott - Best vocals by far!
Kat - Excellent vocals/wardrobe malfunction :D
Chris - Looked sharp, great performance
Taylor - started slow, finished stronger
Paris - I hate her voice
Kellie - Dumb, fake, boring, horrible

For love of God, can Kellie Pickler please go home now?
She really was bad...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Never realized how great it is to have this forum back up
and running again until I came to this thread. Very much
missed the conversation here with you guys.

Yuh know, I used to be a Kellie Pickler fan, but as of tonight,
I feel she deserves to go home. Fortunately, the only thing that
is saving her hide this week is Paris Bennett, whom I think will be
going home.

I also agree that the judges were extremely off on Katharine's
performance which for me was amazing. She looked as beautiful
as she sounded although my eyes were more focused on her
cleavage (and the small mole) than her personally. :)

My boy Taylor took a great song and ruined it. He needs to pick
better songs and show off the personality all of us love.

Elliott and Chris stole the show tonight! For once, I expect Elliott
will not be in the bottom three.

The worst show of the night? Paula's tears. She has become an
aggravating obstacle to the entire show. There's got to be someone
better to replace her next season.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Performers:

Kat was screechy as usual and looked like a banana unpeeling herself. In front of her dad. Sick.

Kellie's hairstyle was something out of There's Something About Mary. At least she knows she's bad though.

Elliot brought it but the cartoon tie was terrible.

Paris is going home, sadly. But with lots of outfits.

Taylor was okay but singing that song looked painful for him. He's either sick again or the show is getting to him. Maybe sick of the show.

Chris is the chosen one again with two musicians on stage with him to give him that artistic credibility. Sure.

Judges:

Useless, drunk/high/etc, and bored.

Predicted Bottom 3: Paris, Kellie, Katharine

Who Will Go Home: Paris

Who Should Go Home: AI wardrobe and hairstylists

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Unfortunately, Ron, she recently signed a three-year contract extension on her Idol gig. So, unless the show gets canceled, she'll be around for years to come... :crazy:

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I thought Katherine did a great job last night after having a few off weeks, but perhaps I was also distracted by the dress. She's my pick for the best of the night.

Elliot was better tonight that of recent, I truely hate when he fluctuates his voice around at the end of a line of lyrics with his little hand gesture to emphasize it, which only happened a couple times last night.

I think Chris and Taylor performed well enough to stick around another week.

I am also no longer a Paris fan, although I had her picked her to win at the beginning, something about her singing bothers me, the creepy smile while she sings maybe? Lisa also had this problem, during any type of song (especially bothersome during love songs), their face goes through different expressions, "I'm happy", "Now I'm about to cry", "I'm happy again".

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
For some bizarre reason, we were thinking that Idol was on at 9 last night and forgot to watch ("Huh? Why is House on now? Oh crap!"). Lucy's a big Andrea Bocelli fan, too -- I hope he sings tonight.

Anyway, what songs did everyone sing?

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Katharine - "I Have Nothing"
Elliott - "A Song for You"
Kellie - "Unchained Melody"
Paris - "The Way We Were"
Taylor - "Just Once"
Chris - "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman"

Kellie should go home, but I agree that Paris will. I thought it was a little unfair that Katharine got ripped for choosing Whitney, but nobody said anything about Paris tackling Streisand (the old "if you can't do it as well as the original, don't bother" comment). Anyway, the song is ALL WRONG for an 18-year girl who can't capture the sense of looking back at memories, regrets, could-have-beens, etc.

Chris was great, doing a song I hate.

I can't wait to get rid of Kellie -- her "I don't have anyone to do pottery with" comments were pathetic.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks! I agree that it's a little bizarre for an 18-year-old to sing "The Way We Were" -- unless she's singing about Jr. High!

I'll be glad to do pottery with Kellie, as long as she keeps her mouth shut! :D

danak

Second Unit
Executive producer Nigel Lythgoe's weekly radio interview (http://www.tvweek.com/executiveBriefing.cms) has some pretty interesting things

- First off the bat, is that Taylor had to change his song at the beginning of the week. He was going to go with "Try a Little Tenderness" but the producers ended up feeling that it didn't fit in with the theme of the week (song Andrea might sing I guess). Personally I call excessive shenanigans on this because the producers should have figured this out when he picked the song to begin with. Nigel said Taylor was having trouble with a section of the song (that he ended up singing) during rehearsals and figured that nerves got him

- Nigel thought the judges (especially Randy) were really wrong about Katharine. Chris was his favorite and he really liked Katharine, Elliott, and Paris. He felt the judges were inconsistant in their criticisms that one shouldn't take on a Whitney song, because they didn't criticize Elliott for taking on a Donny Hathaway song and they didn't criticize Paris for taking on a Streisand song

- The contestants will be split into 3 groups tonight, the top 2 vote getters, the middle 2 vote getters, and the bottom 2 vote getters (votes for this week)

- The vote totals this week were the 3rd highest of all time (about 47.6 million), behind Fantasia's finale and Carrie's finale

- There are no guests next week. The remaining 5 contestants will sing 2 songs, 1st being from the year they were born and the 2nd from the billboard charts for this week

There are rumors that Ryan reportedly said somewhere that the person leaving tonight is a fan favorite and that Nigel was surprised at the lackluster fan base. We've known Paris has had a consistently lackluster fan base so I wonder if this means that Kellie is the one leaving (please, please!!)

I wonder if tonight's results show will be tense given the shredding the judges gave Katharine last night (among other things)? I hope Kat can pick herself up after the nastiness from last night.

Dana

danak

Second Unit
Regarding how the contestants will be grouped tonight, Nigel didn't specifically say that the audience will be told which group was highest, middle, lowest. I mean, Ryan might do it, but Nigel didn't explicitly say that it would happen

Dana

danak

Second Unit
To expand a bit on the rumor about the person leaving tonight, allegedly Nigel was surprised that the person's fanbase had a lackluster showing (last night), not what I said earlier about a lackluster fanbase in general (minor difference I suppose)

Dana

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

I was spot on with the judges liking Kat's performance better once they watched it again. It makes you wonder what it really sounds like in that auditorium.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks