American Idol - Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 16, 2006.

1. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Just as a point of information, but Reba McEntire's "Fancy" is a remake. The song was composed by Bobbie Gentry (of "Ode to Billie Joe" fame) who had the original hit with it back in the 60s. Great song, BTW, and I agree that Kellie did not bring much to the party vocally. The song is deserving of much more than Kellie's flat-footed rendition...

2. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

Kellie is over rated and her mediocre performances should catch up with her. Additionally they "confronted" the dumb blonde routine by... well doing a dumb blonde routine.

Taylor's performance was bad, but he is usually very fun to watch and would like to see him do more of something that is more soulful.

He should have gone down the road that Katherine did - do a rootys bluesy country song - which she did well - not hitting it out of the park, but solid and fun, albeit, an unusal chorus.

Most of the performances were ok, but boring really.

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Another awful week -- two in a row.

I think the biggest problem was the Country
    Music theme. Let's face it -- Country has to
    be one of the least appreciated genres of music.

I was bored! For the first time ever, I used
    the "FF" button on my Tivo just to get through
    some of the performances.

Who was the worst? Hard to say, but I was very
    concerned about my boy Taylor who phoned
    in last night's performance.

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

Not by a long shot -- Country is HUGELY popular all over the US. It's just that there are a lot of major metropolitan areas that factor heavily in the media where it isn't so big, and it also isn't so big outside the US (unlike a great, multi-nationally flavored website like the HTF!).

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Hopefully they haven't changed the theme for next week. The one they had planned would make up for this week's debacle! (Hopefully. . .)

6. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I found the theme for next week still on the website at 6:30pm tonight (Wed). If you click on the link on Idolonfox.com entitled "Idol News" it takes you here.

And if it turns out to be true, I've started posting song choice suggestions in this thread in the Music Forum.

At least it would force some people to REALLY stretch out of their "comfort zones".

7. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

That's the same news story that was on their homepage yesterday. Their website is so confusingly set up it's hard to find the info you want. Thanks for the update! [​IMG]

8. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Kenny Rogers looked like a freaking woman. It was TERRIFYING. Good lord, this is a guy who used to have this super manly exterior, now he looks like.. I have no idea.. it still gives me the creeps!

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I can't believe dialidol was bang-on with getting the bottom 3 in the right order. What's more disturbing is how big a lead Taylor has over most of the remaining contestants. I hope Taylor flames out because I think he going to tank next week as well trying to do a Queen song.

10. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

I am in shock! My favorite, and my pick to win, has gone home.

11. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I was glad to see Mandisa go. IMHO, she was the worst of the performers this week.

I hope Taylor keeps getting the votes. I really like him. My other favorite is Katherine.

Of who is left, this is my personal ranking:

1. Katherine
    2. Taylor
    3. Kellie
    4. Chris

Big gap then,

5. Elliot
    6. Ace

Another big gap then,

7. Paris
    8. Bucky

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I would have ranked Taylor's performance far below Mandisa's this week.

13. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I didn't think Taylor's performance this week was all that hot either (My ranking above is overall, not just this week). I would have put him middle of the pack this week. But I don't like country at all, so it was a tough week for me.

14. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

[spock]
    Fascinating.
    [/spock]

And now, the soapbox.

It's not enough that Ford and Coca-Cola are corporate schills for the show, but does the program have to become the musical equivalent of "The Love Boat"?

Stevie Wonder had a new album last fall, is a guest coach on AI, sings song from new album.

Last week, Barry Manilow has new album, is a guest coach on AI, sings song from new album.

This week, Kenny Rogers has new album out, is a guest coach on AI, sings song from new album.

Next week, Queen has a new (old) album out, and is the featured theme for the show.

How many more times must we hear "Bad Day" when a contestant is booted off?

15. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Add Prince to that list Keith.

From IMDB (so could be wrong)

16. Sean*O

Sean*O Second Unit

LOL, I guess dialidol is pretty accurate. Taylor is cool, but he really doesn't deserve to be THAT far out in front. I mean, if he can give his worst performance of the season and still get the most votes...

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Hell, Prince was on SNL recently. It's all about cross-marketing these days. I can't really see any of the contestant doing all that great with either Queen or Prince songs.

18. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

If Prince is on, it'll be the most anticipated AI for me yet. Sadly Mandiva won't be there to participate. [​IMG] I didn't know Prince had a new CD out, so I'll have to track that down. Nice Love Boat reference.

Mandisa is gone. Where's the crocodile tear emoticon?

19. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

That is awesome news about Prince. I hope it is true. He is the one artist that I would love to see on AI.

20. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

Somehow my question got posted in the Sopranos thread. I was wondering why I didn't see it here.

Anyway, to ask again; Are there people out there that actually find Ryan and Simon's little quarrels entertaining? They either need to come out of the closet and admit their true feelings for each other or learn to work together when the cameras are rolling.