What's new

American Idol Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Unless you were tone deaf, it was pretty easy to figure out which of the groups were going through.

I was glad we wouldn't be subjected to Asia the chipmunk anymore.

Larry was in denial if he though his final performance was good enough to go through.

Tomorrow - down to 24.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

King cowrote the song with Goffin and Jerry Wexler, but she never had a hit with it, when Franklin recorded her version of the song with Wexler producing it at Atlantic Records in 1967, it was a top ten hit for Franklin. Also, King's singing career didn't really take off until the early 1970s.

Edit: Even though, King cowrote the song, the song is so strongly identified with Franklin that in my opinion it is considered a Franklin classic.

Crawdaddy

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Is it just me or is Fox touting "High Definition" for American Idol a JOKE? Yes, it's in widescreen, but everything still looks like it was simply shot in DV in 16:9 mode. That was NOT High Definition.

Parris

Stunt Coordinator
It's gotta be your local Fox station. Fox 11 in Los Angeles has it in High Def and it looks pretty good too

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
My FOX is in HD and AI is noticeably worse than other FOX HDTV shows. I don't know why that is but I would agree that it just looks like widescreen to me, not hi def. That said, I think the 5.1 audio is still a vast improvement over the regular feed.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Th reason you may be noticing the HD not looking as crisp is probably due to two things: lighting and cameras.

For normal Fox series (and others) in HD, the sets are fixed and lighting can be maximized for HD. Also, the cameras are fixed placement, larger devices. For Idol, which is all location stuff to date, the lighting is limited and cameras are generally hand held. The Hotel lighting available in guest rooms, etc. is tough on HD and if you remember the original tryouts looked better - due to the ability to have correct lighting in a single set.

i suspect once we move to a fixed location for the live shows, the images will be crisper and more HD-like.

Rutgar

Second Unit
I agree. I'll bet most of the "hand-held" stuff is a High Definition "transfer", and not original. Plus, you're correct that the lighting is pretty poor in the auditorium, and rooms.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
You just know Aayshia was heading back to Big Derrty hoping to wrangle a call from Nelly or Chingy from her air time.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I agree with your assessments about the High Def broadcast, and it probably will start looking a lot better next week.

Did Asia really think the world needed -- or even wanted -- a 4 feet tall, female who wants to be Michael Jackson? We're having enough trouble with the current Michael Jackson who wants to be female. Does she really think the next big thing is a chipmunk with early 1980s MJ dance moves??????? I'm glad she was finally cut.

John Milton

Second Unit
Does anyone know the name of the song and artist that sang the song they played at the very end of tonight's show? I remember this song from the late 80's/early 90's but can't figure it out. Part of the chorus was: "The day will never be over because we're keeping the dream alive."

Thanks to anyone who can help!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The Final 24:

Anthony Federov
Anwar Robinson
Bo Bice
Constantine Maroulis
David Brown
Jared Yates
Joseph Murena
Judd Harris
Mario Vazquez
Nikko Smith
Scott Savol
Travis Tucker

Aloha Mischeaux
Amanda Avila
Carrie Underwood
Celena Rae
Janay Castine
Jessica Sierra
Lindsey Cardinale
Melinda Lira
Mikalah Gordon
Nadia Turner
Sarah Mather
Vonzell Solomon

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Mikalah reminds me of a cross between Minnie Driver and Barbra Streisand.

Can't believe AI is milking another 3 weeks before getting to the final 12. Sheesh!

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

When I was watching the show, I was looking for her because I knew whatever group she was in, they were not going through to the next round.

I think David Brown and Mario Vazquez are really talented guys. It will be fun watching them develop over the next couple of weeks.

Love this show.

Peace,

DM

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Asia Jackson was very annoying. It is one thing to be confident. But, cocky and arrogant is another.

Was Micahalah the one that jumped around for 10 minutes completely freaking out? I think she scared the panel. ;)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
David Brown, Anwar Robinson and Mario Vazquez were my three picks in the AI Contest Thread. So my three guys made it. It's gonna be hard for any of those guys to not make it to the very end.

Last night's high definition telecast DID look much better considering they were set up in one room with the judges and were able to affect proper lighting. However, the stuff in the waiting room, outside, "human interest stories" etc., are NOT high definition AT ALL! That is clearly DV footage shot in 16:9 mode. I'm a television editor and we combine mostly Beta SP footage with a little bit of DV and I definitely tell you that AI is not running around with 50 handheld high definition cameras to capture everything and everybody -- lighting or no lighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks