What's new

American Idol - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"Unchained Melody" should be banned forever from the field of amateur singing. I swear, there's nothing that screams "no talent cliche" louder than someone trying to sing that song. :thumbsdown:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

Unless you can sing it well.

One thing this show seems to ignore (unless I'm missing something they do in later eps) is the actual music these potential celebs would make. There are plenty of great singers out there, but few can actually come up with good material. So they're gonna give the winner a record deal- and then what? Now they're going to have to come up with music that will sell.

I think that's why the previous winners haven't achieved post-Idol success.

todd stone

Screenwriter
"Oh dear, how do the judges sit through all those bad and bizarre auditions? And why don't people have enough self awareness to know that they can't sing well?"

I feel the showadmits these ppl on purpose for the ratings. AI is now known for the auditions more then anything else IMO. Having boring auditions they would lose viewers right away and would not stick around for the season.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

I guess Clay wasn't technically a previous winner (I still debate Rueben's 'win'), but his post-Idol success has been tremendous. His debut album sales far surpassed any other previous contestant's and were the type of numbers to make the industry take notice.

Chris

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Even though Clay has had success with his album, the media has had a field day and have not let their disdain for him go unoticed.

Hopefully he'll record a new cd soon and work with his team to produce a stronger album.

I found the judges to be a little more open with their collective disdain for "bad" singers. Openly laughing and saying almost anything they want to them. I hope they dont go too far. Too many of the reality shows go for the jugular and show people always being mean or nasty to each other. I laugh but still think of the fact that some contestants are serious and not there for the thrill or joke of it. Reuben was my favorite all along last year,his polished performance and smooth voice was a joy to hear.Ive heard his new CD and its good.We are spoiled for having three finalists last year that were head and shoulders better than season 1's top two.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Maybe it's just me, but even after tonight's episode, I still think the Army girl that got rejected has sounded the best for season 3 so far. Not that she was great or anything, but I still can't believe they did not let her pass on to the 2nd round.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I didn't see Clay's audition last year, did he look less or more attractive than her?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Duh-luded" :D

Boy, the bit with the multi-screens (Brady Bunch-like) of people singing/butchering the same song was great.

Why don't some of these friends tell/show them how badly they suck at singing before they make fools of themselves?

Randy is a whole lot meaner this season with his derisive laughter during the auditions.

(What media backlash/disdain on Clay? Color me confused about that pronouncement.)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Randy is a little meaner this season, isn't he?

The one "diva" whose friend kept putting her hand on the camera... I was just shaking my head. I understood her friend supporting her, but at the same time, part of me was thinking "you are no friend telling her she has talent, when she really doesn't. At all.".

Man... did "A Whole New World" get butchered by a ton of people. As Patrick said, that multi-screen thing was great. :laugh:

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I can see what you are trying to say, and I hope that isn't the case. If the show was on MTV, perhaps. But, Fox seems to lean more to another side of the fence than other networks (although it does seem to come down to the judges doesn't it) There was a guy yesterday who passed the audition who afterword said he recently got back from a certain country, for what it's worth.

What a train wreck that was for the audition with the girl who tried to do "What a Feeling" although she did make some astute points about the state of recording industry.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Ok, when Paula & Randy had the fight, and Paula & Simon both left, Randy told the girl "you're going to Hollywood" several times. What? Ok, here's my thought on that: if she DOES go, fine, I'm OK with that. But if he did that and it was just cruel for the cameras, knowing she couldn't get the votes to go, that seems like a rather classless thing to do. I have no idea if the girl advanced.

Some of the people tonight were hilarious; it amazes me how foolish these people have to be.. can they not hear themselves, or does no one ever tell them the truth?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Last night's episode was the most horrific and depressing episode of American Idol I have ever seen. Please, don't ever go back to Houston. I seriously think I'm going to have nightmares about this tonight.

American Idol: Horrors In Houston

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Only 13 people moving on is pretty bad. I wish he had let the girl who sang "Stormy Weather", Cassie LeBeau, sing for more than 5 seconds. She had a great voice and was probably the best audition of the night. It was kind of funny to see her face after Simon told her she was going to Hollywood so quickly.

I'm not sure what Paula was talking about when she was complaining about Yodel Girl's attitude. Maybe it was because she was sick.

Brian

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian

Agreed, I did not really care for her singing, but from what was shown on TV she just seemed like a slightly nervous teenage girl. I did not sense any attitude.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I only saw the first 25 minutes, but the bit with Fookling was pretty good in terms of setup and then "non-execution" of singing talent.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't figure out how a Harvard MBA would even bother with this, especially when they are that kind of terrible. You'd think someone could tell them.. and if she can play a piano, maybe she should worry about doing that in a band and smiling ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly, Fookling did it as a put-on, just to see how far she'd get. Plus, some people really do just want to sing for an audience, talent be damned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks