What's new

American Idol - Season 12 (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Patrick Sun said:
Okay, maybe not on the show, but hopefully he's have success like Colton Dixon has experienced...
I'm surprised too that Devin tanked so early. His voice is quite good, and I thought he'd appeal especially to the Latin audience -- although I suppose that was split with Lazaro, who has the sob story appeal as well.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I am so tired of Lazaro's sob story at this point. He's so not ready for this English-spoken singing contest.

Angie and Candice are 1-2 in EW's odds maker to win this season. The judges have been pumping up Kree, but I still think it's Angie's to lose at this point.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I don't care who wins, but I do want Amber and Candice to stick around so I can hear more performances from them. I do sometimes see young Whitney in Amber. Then it'd be Kree followed by Angie. But that's not any type of objective assessment of vocal tone or ability. It's heavily influenced by the type of music I like.

I like Lazaro, but he's in over his head. I hate to agree with Nicki, but my favorite male singer (Curtis Finch) already left. I can see why, though. He had a great voice, but he had a lot of other things working against him (much like Jacob Lusk).

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Patrick Sun said:
Angie and Candice are 1-2 in EW's odds maker to win this season. The judges have been pumping up Kree, but I still think it's Angie's to lose at this point.
I can certainly see why Angie is the favorite (heck I put her as the winner in our prediction challenge): she's young and appeals to the teens and even tweens, she can actually sing, and she's even a pretty good songwriter, which wins props from the older crowd. And she's reasonably attractive

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sad that I found the non-singing segments more entertaining than listening to these 7 remaining contestants trying to rock out.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the rock episode. I miss James Durbin ("Heavy Metal"). And Josh Krajcik ("The Pretender") from The X Factor. Those are the two best "rock out" performances I've personally seen on a talent show (that I can recall). And for a somewhat softer/southern (?) rock, Bo Bice. We occasionally hear, "You can sing anything," on the show, but I seldom find it true.

Lazaro is kind of reminding me of Sanjaya Malakar at this point. Still, I have to applaud the human aspect of his story.

I like seeing the behind the scenes things about the singers. Kree's made me like her even more.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I saw Lazaro's performance last night. I actually thought it was pretty good! He "made the song his own" (as they say) by taking it down to his range without losing the gist of it.

NolanJ

Second Unit
No notes on this weeks performances yet... guess AI really has lost steam.

Anyway, if anyone isn't watching, they are missing out on a few incredibly talented female singers.

Candice Glover has one of the best voices to ever appear on American Idol.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
There have been some good voices, but the problem with AI really is that the format is such that it really is disinteresting in comparison to something like "The Voice" (which never seems to get a thread here)
The reason why I say that is that on AI, the critiques rarely provide the audience with any real insight and the interaction between the judges and contestants are minimal; in comparison to the concept of a tutoring program to strengthen the competitors.
This year on AI, they've done more of the coaching and have shown it, but it's surprisingly bad, and as often as not competitors just ignore what they are told.
You're right about some good voices..

I also have to say, Mariah Carrey is a HORRIBLE judge. After previously pointing out how many Beatles songs she has never heard (She's Leaving Home, etc.) she went on this week and said she had never heard Garth Brooks "The Dance". I'm not even a country music fan, but damn, that song has been on a ton of soundtracks and commercials, a superbowl ad.. I mean, it's not that obscure.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
NolanJ said:
Anyway, if anyone isn't watching, they are missing out on a few incredibly talented female singers.

Candice Glover has one of the best voices to ever appear on American Idol.
It is quite unusual: all the guys have been knocked out already, leaving an all-girl top 5. I don't think anything close to that has every happened before? Maybe an all-girl top 3 IIRC, but that's about it. (And not the other way around either.)

Agreed about Candice: Love Song is such a bore by the Cure, but her take on it was simply jaw-dropping. For once the standing O was fully justified.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If Simon was still judging, I think he'd characterize Kree as "old-fashioned", Kree bores me to tears at times.

NolanJ

Second Unit
I'm a fan of Candice and Angie: the other singers don't do it for me.

Anyone getting irritated at the number of times the judges give "standing ovations"?

Thought it was funny that three of the four judges stood up for Amber, yet Randy and Mariah (who stood up) still pointed out flaws in the performance. Sheesh, don't stand up if you didn't think the performance was near flawless.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
^^ Agreed: too many standing ovations diminishes its worth. As my sister once observed, contestants would really be encouraged by compliments from Simon, because he rarely gave them and was the harshest critic of all.

I guess they never clarified when the judges' save was no longer available, if Janelle was still singing for it, whereas in previous years once we got to the top 5 there was no more save. When it got down to Kree and Janelle as the bottom 2, I figured they'd snuck it back in case one of their favoured top 3 'accidentally' wound up last.

Anyone else think Clay Aiken looked a bit odd? As if he'd either done botox, or even had work done? Yet surely he's too young for any of that, what is he, just past 30 only?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
You can tell how this season is going that there are no comments on a Thursday OR by Friday morning..

did like Keith's "I am the Stig" shirt.

That's about the best comment I have. Ongoing fight between Minaj and Carrey would be good, but Carrey is so blah that it's just not interesting. As weeks go by, I realize the problem with AI right now really is the format.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Kree should have gone home, she's been boring the hell out of me. Angie Miller will win. Candyse has probably the best recording voice, though Amber has crazy range, but her stage presence is still an issue, though she was getting better.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Kree is getting the residual country vote, being the only one left that would appeal to that genre. Amber has to split the R&B genre with Candice.

I'd agree, Angie will probably will it now, she alone has never been in bottom 3 (or 2) the entire season, both the other 2 have had a stint there.

Curious that she didn't sit behind the piano for her 'standards' song, but I suppose she has to do at least one song without the piano crutch, for variety.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, that sob story pushed Kree in the finals, though I find she's been waning lately, almost sleep-walking through her performances. Too bad for Angie, but she might end up being the most successful of all of this year's contestants.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
EricSchulz said:
DAWG!

Randy Jackson's quitting 'Idol' | Inside TV | EW.com

Randy Jackson: I'm leaving 'Idol'

Not surprising given how far the show has degraded over the years. I was one of the first a few years back to point out how much better The Voice is by comparison. Also, when the show started for AI this year I said "is this show even still relevent?" No one at work or around the cooler so to speak has watched since Simon left.

The main person in charge of AI is also gone with someone totally new calling all the shots next year. In fact GMA this morning had some news on this and said there is talk about some really BIG changes coming for the show next season, with new format and all new judges. Pesonally, I would think it is something LONG overdue. They need to cut all the BS from the first two-three months of the show and do more like the voice and say these are the ones that have passed pre-screening and go from there. More than 50% of AI is total crap and anyone could tell it's a waste of time to put those idoits on for their 5 minutes of fame. Time to dump that trash and get more talent.

Bottom line is something has to be done to save it and this hopefully will be essentially a new show completly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks