What's new

American Idol - Season 10 (1 Viewer)

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

"American Idol" reject Jacob Lusk is telling friends he's not to blame for the TERRIBLE song choices that led to his elimination this week ... insisting he got BAD advice from Jimmy Iovine.

Oh FFS, just go away. (Though I would have liked to hear him perform Crazy.)

Well, I fully agree with Jacob on this. Just as I stated above, AI seems to say they want ORIGINALITY, but then force them into the same category of today's junk that all sounds alike. I know there is a BIG difference in how Jacob performed with "God Bless this Child" and "A House" compared to what he ended up with. We don't know personally all the details of what happened on AI between them, but I do know most of the industry will just make you do what sells and force you into doing it THEIR WAY to get anywhere.

Jacob, James and Casey are still my favorite artists of them all. Just hope somehow they can make it enough to not lose all their original style in the process and I will certainly buy any record they produce.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Jimmy Iovine did his job -- he told the artists his thoughts. Nobody bats 1.000.

AI made it clear in every way possible it's the artist's career that's at stake, so they better accept the final responsibility for what they choose. It's well-documented that the producers TELL the contestants THEY get final say, regardless of what coaches suggest. In fact, we've seen a clip of Jimmy wanting Jacob to do Let's Get It On, and he instead decides to go with something that means more to him. In other words, he ignored Jimmy. So to come back after the fact and try to blame Jimmy for your choices and the fact that you got booted? Sorry, not even close to buying that. It's sour grapes, and I'm tired of him serving that up.

It was bad enough when he said if he ends up in the bottom 3, it's because America isn't ready to look in the mirror. Get over yourself already. I like Jacob as a singer, but the AI process has pushed him to the point of lost puppy desperately trying to find home combined with a prima donna as..., um, butthole. He reminds me of college freshman basketball players who think they're supposed to win the NCAA because they've always been the best. Sorry, but you're on a new playing field, and you're not supposed to win anything. You do your best, and hopefully people like you. If they do, you're grateful. Or you could be Jacob.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Idol's song choice problem is that most of the contestants know how to sing, but know very little about music. And by that I mean broad musical knowlege, both in why things work (the above comment about Casey proves this point, as he's the exception), and just a history of music, a knowledge of great songs from different eras and an appreciation for different styles. And that's less of a problem for producers who have more experience with a huge variety of music.

It's my opinion that most of the contestants get so lost in picking songs that they beg for advice from the producers, and then because they're so ignorant as to need help picking songs they wind up making bad decisions from the choices they get offered. And even if they're given good choices, they rarely know what to do with it. They have few instincts lyrically on how to work a song, many of them sing the notes and the words are an after thought, they're interested in power notes more than in what they're singing--so they have no clue why that particular power note works this way and not that way. If they don't understand the meaning, their song is dull even if sung well. That's part of what made Jacob's God Bless this Child so good, he actually knew what he was singing. I haven't felt that he understood or cared about the words he was singing for weeks. Smart contestants will know what they want to do every week from week to week, they'll figure it all out early in the season and have a plan and stick to it (that's what David Cook did), that's too much work and effort for most contestants who just drift from week to week, and they're inevitably picked off one by one.

You would think that the Beatles would be well known, yet every year since the Beatles hit Idol, we have some contestants shown who don't know the Beatles at all (and there are probably a lot more not shown that don't know anything, or only know the five biggest Beatles songs). It's in the contestants best interest to blame the producers after they're booted, so it is no surprise that they pretty much always blame them. There's no real downside to the producers catching flak, it won't matter at all to the next year's contestants, because all those contestants will inevitably believe they're smarter and better prepared for the demands of Idol, and they won't be, and they'll blame the producers for their failings and the cycle will continue.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Adam_S

Idol's song choice problem is that most of the contestants know how to sing, but know very little about music. And by that I mean broad musical knowlege, both in why things work (the above comment about Casey proves this point, as he's the exception), and just a history of music, a knowledge of great songs from different eras and an appreciation for different styles. And that's less of a problem for producers who have more experience with a huge variety of music.

It's my opinion that most of the contestants get so lost in picking songs that they beg for advice from the producers, and then because they're so ignorant as to need help picking songs they wind up making bad decisions from the choices they get offered. And even if they're given good choices, they rarely know what to do with it. They have few instincts lyrically on how to work a song, many of them sing the notes and the words are an after thought, they're interested in power notes more than in what they're singing--so they have no clue why that particular power note works this way and not that way. If they don't understand the meaning, their song is dull even if sung well. That's part of what made Jacob's God Bless this Child so good, he actually knew what he was singing. I haven't felt that he understood or cared about the words he was singing for weeks. Smart contestants will know what they want to do every week from week to week, they'll figure it all out early in the season and have a plan and stick to it (that's what David Cook did), that's too much work and effort for most contestants who just drift from week to week, and they're inevitably picked off one by one.

You would think that the Beatles would be well known, yet every year since the Beatles hit Idol, we have some contestants shown who don't know the Beatles at all (and there are probably a lot more not shown that don't know anything, or only know the five biggest Beatles songs). It's in the contestants best interest to blame the producers after they're booted, so it is no surprise that they pretty much always blame them. There's no real downside to the producers catching flak, it won't matter at all to the next year's contestants, because all those contestants will inevitably believe they're smarter and better prepared for the demands of Idol, and they won't be, and they'll blame the producers for their failings and the cycle will continue.

I read your thoughts on this and must say that I tend to agree with most of what you said. You make some good points, as I have stated as well, regarding artists such as Jacob. He was my top choice to begin with because that was the type of artist he was with Gospel. Also, as you state, few people now days truly branch out in their musical genres be it fans or the artist's themselves. When I buy a CD, you can rarely nail down a specific category I stay with. My Amazon and iTunes are all over the place with their "suggested" songs because of my broad variety of what I listen to. For me, I enjoy music and most (not all) genres have some appeal depending upon what I am in the mood for. It's too bad more people don't explore music in-depth to find if they enjoy other styles too.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Tonight was a good show overall I thought.

The top standout though was easily James, with Scotty a close second. James really did a fine job with both songs, but he really knows how to put a different take on what he does that was so evident with "Love Potion #9". I enjoyed Scotty's first song, that is more his style. While his second choice I though was ok vocally, that is NOT who this kid is, period. It reminds me of his performance of "Gone", he just is so out of place. He needs to be just sitting for the most part doing his thing, moving around some, but not like the trash Nashville tries to do now days.

Haley was easily the worst of them, although she did somewhat redeem her vocals in the last song. As they told her, you have to know the type of artist you are and pick the right songs. She just keeps making bad choices. Also, most family pointed out her hateful and snobbish attitude to the judges and how she acted as a whole. It came across very bad most thought, especially her arguments against them and the way her body manors were when Ryan tried to make her hug them.

Lauren did well in the songs she chose actually. I thought her Martina McBride song was well done and liked it better by far than her first. Still nothing special I think, she is just toeing the line for the most part. But she did perform better than Haley.

I say Haley goes home and we have James, Scotty and Lauren in the top 3 as predicted.

One thing about Lady GaGa - almost everyone there couldn't stand her. It seems like many others feel the same way about her as I do. Loved Scotty saying he "felt like he had to kiss his cross after that" and also Randy saying "We have to pray for everyone, right." to Scotty. Also James thought she was out there too, I liked what he said about her. All I will say is I will pray for her too and leave it at that.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yikes Haley was really acting snotty and maybe condescending toward the judges. Just before round two when they said they know she can up her game she pretty much if not literally turned her nose up right at them. I've liked her a bit but this week she really was pretty awful on her first song.

Spero D

Second Unit
In Haley's defence Randy was Flogging a dead horse going on and on like Jenniffer pointed out. However she should of copped it on the Chin and moved on.

Also what was it with Lauren thing with singing the word Evil? Yikes. If she has trouble with a word then maybe she should find a difference carreer path.

Best for me-

- Haleys 2nd Song

- James 1st song

- Laurens 1st Song

- James 2nd Song

- Lauren 2nd Song

Much Further down

- Scotty both Songs

and last

- Haleys 1st song.

Sorry but I liked Scotty last week, but this week he was to overly corny.

Be interesting to see how the results shake out......

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Full blog available at http://hanson68.wordpress.com The night of shameless pandering I had assumed that Leiber and Stoller night was going to be a boring, old fashioned crapfest. But it turned out to be only half of the evening — the first half was “Inspirational songs”, and the Idols took it as a chance for pandering to the audience for votes. It was at once calculating and interesting — seeing how low each Idol sunk to grub for votes was more fascinating than the performances. And on a night when a top three slot and the chance to visit their hometowns was at stake, each singer did absolutely jack all to merit the reward. It’s become a race to the bottom now, and with the way each performer is sinking, it looks like Scotty plan to tread water is working to a T. It appears that Scotty is following the Carrie Underwood route by never even sniffing the bottom three and probably being the top vote getter every single week. So not only are the performances boring, but the outcome at this point is written in stone. Unpredictability is a key factor in my enjoyment of any form of entertainment. But when it comes to unpredictability, Idol has completely lost it. But there was one bit of unusual goings on with the voting numbers. When the Idols sing two songs, they are also given two call in numbers. The numbers always correspond with performance order — except for tonight. For some reason, the first group was James, Haley, Scotty, and Lauren. But the second group was Haley, Scotty, Lauren, and James. So everybody’s second number did not match performance order — for instance, Haley’s numbers were 02 & 06, but she sang second and fifth. I don’t know why the producers did this, but I can already hear the conspiracy theories forming on the various Idol forums. James kicked off the evening by appealing to the Glee crowd for votes. I know that Don’t Stop Believing is, on the surface, an inspirational song. But you would think that James, with his hard rock affectations would find inspiration in something a little less bubble gum than Journey. You would also think at this point in the competition that James would be nailing the songs. But this performance was among his pitchiest, as James whiffed on notes all over the place and when he wasn’t off-key, he generally sounded like a squealing tire. I guess all the sucking up to Randy Jackson, a former Journey bass player, worked — Randy didn’t mention the pitch problems at all. J. Lo said that she liked it when James went into his higher register. I don’t know if he was ever out of his higher register. It’s probably not fair to say that the guys and gals from Glee did it better, but man — they were sooo much better. James made fishy kissy faces at the crowd, and one of the dudes rooting for Jamesapparently thought he was at a WWE match. There’s enthusiasm, and then there’s murderous rage. Perhaps Durbin surrounds himself with people like this so he can appear to be the normal one by comparison. Dressed in a tuxedo jacket with tails and Golden Girls era mega shoulder pads, James reminded me of Riff Raff from The Rocky Horror Picture Show lumbering down the stairs. Incidentally, Richard O’Brien, the man who portrayed Riff Raff, was actually the guy who created the stage play that became the cult film. And if you’re even slightly curious about what he’s up to today, he’s the voice of Lawrence Fletcher, the dad on Phineas and Ferb. This is all apropos of nothing. James’ second song was Love Potion #9 by Leiber and Stoller. But this isn’t just an old song — it’s an old novelty song. There’s absolutely zero way to make this sound modern, or relevant or artistic. Imagine if you will singing The Chipmunk Song. Or Purple People Eater. Love Potion #9 is the kind of song that could be found on a KTel collection of wacky favorites. So even if you stick a hard rock guitar solo in there, make with the voodoo fingers and pyrotechnics, all you’re doing in the end is putting lipstick on a pig. The singing here was more solid that his first go round, but you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear, if I may use another porcine metaphor. Randy said that James was having a moment week after week. I guess he already forgot that James sucked twice last week. Oh, and Lady Gaga mentored James by getting behind him and manually swiveling his hips for him. This is mentoring? Looked a little bit like there was some entering. What did you think of that, James? The Haley-tards are an interesting bunch. They elevate her to mythical status and sob at the injustices and burdens she’s had to endure. Most of them are the kind of people whose knee jerk reaction is to support the underdog and forgive her of any shortcomings. But I don’t know how many of these people are going to justify Haley’s first performance. Earth Song is one of those Michael Jackson songs I’ve never heard of, and when all is said and done, I wish I’d never heard it at all. It’s a horribly treacly and preachy piffle of crunchy granola sentiments, and as each contestant carved out their voting niche, Haley decided to go for the lefty, environmentally conscious crowd. But this was just a godawful performance, so full of growling and yelling that if I had my eyes closed, I would have sworn she was defecating on stage. And it was consistently pitchy to boot, with the last note just off enough to cause aural discomfort. And while I can understand that the judges are into praising piles of dogshit all season long,Haley took Randy’s criticism way too personally. It wasn’t like any of it was off-base — he was correct that it was shouty and pitchy and not sung very well at all. But Haley threw massive bitchface at Randy and started talking back to him. We haven’t really seen that all season, but then again, the judges are so effusive in their praise that there is little opportunity to do so. In years past, talking back to the judges, especially Simon, was a quick way to punch a ticket home. I don’t know how Haley’s act plays this season, but I suspect it’s not going to help her cause at all. I will say that I laughed very heartily at her passive aggressive throat clearing. It would have been awesome if she cleared her throat and told Randy to eff off in the same breath. Due to the excessive red lighting and her piled up hairdo, it looked as if Haley’s hair was on fire throughout most of the song. And coupled with her outfit, Haley ended up looking like the growly niece of Heat Miser. I have no idea why no one in Idol production notices these things. Either that or they do it on purpose and laugh their asses off backstage. Now, I don’t mean to confuse you, but Haley was the first to get mentored by Lady Gaga. I know she’s built her career on being a weirdo, but she seemed to go out of her way to be extra weird with the Idols, offering little in the way of advice (she told Haley to take a breath before her last big note) but giving up tons of spacey looks and crazy faces. Wearing bizarre eye makeup, a Cruella DeVille wig and an oversized beauty mark, Gaga walked around on impossibly high heels and no pants. I think she’s crazy like a fox, but that bitch be totally crazy on Idol. Haley sang I Who Have Nothing with overly dramatic arm movements that were positively Celine Dion-esque. But the vocals were kind of boring, and Haley equated Diva song with oversinging, and it caused a lot of the song to sound shrill. Now, there’s such a thing in sports officiating called “the make up call”. In say, football, if a ref calls someone for holding that wasn’t really deserving of a flag, they might throw a phantom pass interference or equally bad holding call in favor of the aggrieved team to make up for the first bad call. Haley was a recipient of a make up call from the judges, and received accolades and praise for something that was so-so in spots and plain bad in others. Haley’s performance was a pedestrian effort at a Diva song, and contrary to the judes’ nonsense, it was neither a moment for tonight nor for the season. This wasn’t even anywhere near Haley’s best performance. But I guess the judges felt bad about actually criticizing her earlier, so make up call it is. In light of the fact that Haley got one bad critique and then one effusively positive critique, it was quite apropos that Haley dressed up like the statue of Blind Justice. Although considering the flagrant way in which the judges ignored some of the terrible singing, Idol Justice isn’t so much blind as it is deaf. Haley said that the reversal from negative to positive from the judges “was a whole 360 that happened”. What, no love for 720 and 1080? I think Haley was thinking of 420. Steven told Haley “you Reinharted yourself into next week.” I think it would have been better if he said, “I have a total Reinhart-on for you”, amirite? Pffft. His writers are so lazy. Lauren was more obvious and more shameless in her pandering tonight. Taking a cue from the Idol Queen of Pandering, Lauren selected Always just like Kristy Lee Cook did back in season 7 when she kept getting sent back to the silver chairs. Always was a double pander whammy — first off, it has the lyric, “God is great, God is good”, which will do her well with the Southern and religious voters. But it also has the lyric, “one storm can come and blow it all away”, which is a reference to the tornadoes that hit the South last month, with a lot of damage done near her hometown of Rossville Georgia. Maybe it’s just me, but I always get uncomfortable when contestants pick songs to reference recent tragedies, and even if they don’t mean for it to be exploitative, it ends up being… exploitative. Always was a just kind of okay vocal, and there many scooped notes including the last big one, which was scooped from so low that it reminded me of the THX Swoop. Lauren wore one of those dresses where it looks like it’s hiked up in the front. Whenever I see a dress like that, the first thing that comes to mind is that the front of the dress looks like the curtains behind a proscenium, and I imagine a puppet show of some kind taking place inside. Also, it’s ugly. U-G-L-Y. It looks like you got out of the bathroom and got the front of your dress trapped in your underpants. Lauren’s second song was Trouble, and she was completely wigged out about it becauseshe didn’t want to sing, “I’m evil”. Now, I understand that the producers have a large hand in selecting the songs, and I will preface this by saying that it might have been Nigel’s decision to have Lauren sing Trouble. But Leiber & Stoller wrote, literally, dozens of hit songs — she couldn’t pick anything else? Why on God’s earth did she select this song when it made her so uncomfortable? I guess she got over it somewhat since she did eventually perform it. But there wasn’t a lot of pop to the vocals, and she again ran out of breath after circling the judges’ table. There were times when she was growling as if to emulate Haley, but lyrics were delivered without much conviction and the rhythm of the vocals got all out of whack at the end. You could tell that Lauren was still uncomfortable, as she did that pigeon-toed stance she does when she’s unsure of herself. I guess she still had reservations about singing, “I’m evil”. I wonder if it’s because she thinks voters will be offended or if it’s because she doesn’t want the mean girls in high school to taunt her with it. Or maybe she was a mean girl in high school and the truth hurts? By the way, I don’t know who picked out the outfit for Lauren, but they should be toasted… IN A PIT OF FIRE! Not only did the bronze and chocolate monstrosity look like it was from the closet of a Real Housewife of New Jersey, it also made her look waaay older than she is. The girl is 16, but she looks like she pushing forty in that get up. And that Bonnie Raitt hairdo is not screaming youth. The boxy shoulders give it a Romulan look. That’s TNG Romulan, not TOS Romulan. And definitely not the Romulans from the JJ Abrams reboot. And somehow, I moved out of my mother’s basement and got married. Scotty started out his night by singing Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning, a song so pandering that it might be even worse than God Bless The USA, which Kristy Lee Cook used to great success in season 7. Triangulating explicit mentions of Jesus, 9/11, and referencing the recent death of Bin Laden, this shout out to Amurrica was a perfect storm of pandering, exploitation, and lowest common denominator scraping. In short, Scotty is in it to win it. The only other thing he could have done to top himself would be if the wood grain of his guitar formed an image of Jesus and people drove from miles around to treat it as a shrine. As for the vocals… look, if you’ve ever heard Scotty sing a slow tempo song once, there’s no difference the second time. Or third. Or infinity. At least he’s consistent. He’s in it to win it. There was some Gaga piece played for yucks before his Leiber & Stoller number. I’m not sure how Gaga will take the fact that Scotty kissed his cross after meeting her, implying that she’s some sort of demon and he needed blessings to remove her taint… of evil. In it to win it. This being Scotty big Amurrica push, Scotty came out dressed like Larry the Cable guy and proceeded to sing in his uptempo style. Young Blood was like all of his other uptempo songs — full of crazy faces, occasional hip thrusts, and sprinkled with hip hop mannerisms and lots of working the crowd. The only deviation was an oddly limp-wristed performance style — for much of the song, Scotty let his hand dangle from his wrist as if he were carrying a purse or something. Not sure what that affectation was all about. But if he’s going to do something like that, he should counter it by getting even more Larry the Cable Guy. Now, that guy is in. it. to. win. it. IN IT TO WIN IT!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Scotty was really doing GWB faces last night. When he starts doing that, I can't concentrate on anything else.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hanson, what do you mean, Lauren maybe *was* a mean girl in high school? She's got another year or two to go, doesn't she? :)

And never mind the "evil" stuff, is anyone else totally creeped out by a 16-year-old gussying up to look 40 and singing a song like that? In years past, didnt' the judges tend to comment on that sort of thing?

I have to disagree with Hanson on James -- the best way I can describe last night's show is that Durbin was a professional performer and the others were amateurs. It wasn't even close.

Finally, with all due respect to my Christian bros, brahs & sistahs, to Randy Jackson I have to say that "I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran" is SO NOT the sentiment that "this country needs right now." Good grief!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
On a side note, I'm still waiting for Lady Gaga to display any evidence that she's more than a second-rate Madonna Wanna-Be.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

On a side note, I'm still waiting for Lady Gaga to display any evidence that she's more than a second-rate Madonna Wanna-Be.

So I'm not the only one who thought LG's latest "Born This Way" was a rehash (musically) of "Respect Yourself"?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Personally, I think her current act is very post-modern and intelligent. I'm using postmodernism in the literal sense, here. In many ways, she looks at what a lot of commentators say is "wrong" with pop culture/pop music, and shows how that meta-narrative is not, in any way, objective or scientific.

She uses the typical postmodern tool of deconstuction (a la Derrida) to undermine many of the constructs of pop culture, and also to show how many critiques of pop culture can be seen as contradictory and irreconcilable.

Typical postmodern techniques seen in her music/videos/fashion include irony (which is usually there in spades), binaries (often black and white, male and female), pluralism, multiple/double meaning. Most of these tools are also seen in her stage presentation.

For example, look at her exagerated cheek bones (via prosthesis) and over-sized beauty mark on Idol. These are two things taken to extremes, which is often the lengths women (and men) will go achieve "beauty." People often enhance themselves artificially, and enlarge exisiting aspects of their body. However, we see the contradiction, here, as when taken to the extremes Lady Gaga has, those aspects are hardly what modern society would call beautiful. Thus, what is beautiful is merely an objective meta-narrative.

She didn't perform on the show, so I can't speak to that effect. However, careful examination of her music and videos can easily find evidence of what I've said above.

Clearly, she isn't everyone's cup of tea, but in my opinion, her singing ability is proven (as heard in the linked video, and basically any stripped-down version of her songs), and I am convinced everything she does is carefully-selected to convey meaning.

Read Derrida and Foucault, and I think it's hard *not* to find some brilliance in Lady Gaga's act.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson

Hanson, what do you mean, Lauren maybe *was* a mean girl in high school? She's got another year or two to go, doesn't she? :)

And never mind the "evil" stuff, is anyone else totally creeped out by a 16-year-old gussying up to look 40 and singing a song like that? In years past, didnt' the judges tend to comment on that sort of thing?

I have to disagree with Hanson on James -- the best way I can describe last night's show is that Durbin was a professional performer and the others were amateurs. It wasn't even close.

Finally, with all due respect to my Christian bros, brahs & sistahs, to Randy Jackson I have to say that "I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran" is SO NOT the sentiment that "this country needs right now." Good grief!

Meaning Lauren isn't in high school anymore, as she gets on set tutoring instead. Depending on how her career prospects shake out, she may never go back.

Durbin may be a step above when it comes to performance skills, but DSB sounded awful. That was amateurish singing.

That Alan Jackson song is the kind of thing that gives me the heebie jeebies. So many messages in that song that I flat out don't agree with.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Scotty was downright eerie in his anthem to his pink cell phone voter tweenies ... with his creepy prancing and crazy eyes = Chester the Molester?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
it's worth remembering that WWYWTWST came out in october 2001 when we hadn't yet gone to war in Iraq and before Fox News became the official propaganda machine it quickly morphed into (otherwise, would a country song ever reference The Great Satan lamestream media CNN?). It's also worth pointing out that like a LOT of country songs it's very ill suited to Idol. The song itself is a long recitation of what people were doing when they heard the news interrupted by two chorus. Scotty used the first four lines and repeated the chorus twice, it makes the song sound much worse. The power of the song comes in the recitation of real experiences, not the invocation of god and ignorance in the chorus. As done on Idol it is indeed more pandering than god Bless the USA. It could have been worse, he could have sung Toby Keith's "We'll put a boot in your ass! it's the American Way" Courtesy of the Red White and Blue song.

Why do I get the feeling that when Gaga was telling Scotty not to move his lips off the microphone she didn't actually say anything about tongue down the throat. Why do I feel like Gaga probably referenced kissing other lips (not the mouth) and that Scotty should not move away from the mic just like you shouldn't move away from the other. that the line about the tongue down the throat was a wild line because the producers couldn't have anything as racy as that. :D ;)

I loved Gaga's intro line. "I don't think any of these kids would be heard without American Idol, so it's doing such a nice service." lol. Saying that none of them are good enough on their own merits. So true this season.

I'd have loved to see Casey meet Gaga. It would be even cooler if Casey went full crazy and did one of Gaga's songs. :-p

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I wasn't commenting on the song lyrics per se -- in October of 2001 they made a lot of sense. I was commenting on Randy's comment about how they're relevant *today*.

Josh, you lost me when you used the words "intelligent" and "brilliance" in the same sentences as "post-modern." I'm very post-post-postmodern, myself. ;)

Gaga is a decent singer performing mediocre songs with a shock-value fashion sense. Derrida is dead!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
ahh, well I typically fast forward through all the judging and commercials. I just watch the packages and peformance, whole show is done in about thirty minutes.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Josh, you lost me when you used the words "intelligent" and "brilliance" in the same sentences as "post-modern." I'm very post-post-postmodern, myself. ;)

Gaga is a decent singer performing mediocre songs with a shock-value fashion sense. Derrida is dead!

If you were truly a postmodernist, you would easily spot its application to Lady Gaga. It's a pretty simple application of binaries and deconstruction--two of the most-common tools in the postmodern toolbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks