What's new

american electronics in an english socket? (1 Viewer)

Tyler Cookson

Stunt Coordinator
Bad news came today, and I am moving to England. My biggest concern is, how will I be able to use all my electronics over there? I think we use a 120v 60hz kind of thing and they have like 220v and 50hz. there are things that change 120v to the 220v but I havnt found anything that does to 60hz to 50z.
Has anyone from England done anything to theirs when they came to America, or anyone from America done anything for their electronics when they went to England? This is just of utmost importnace. Thank you

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, there are converters that will convert it from 240 to 110 and vice versa:

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
All the electronics that I have ever bought overseas were dual voltage, all I had to do was buy an adaptor for the end of the cord and flip a switch on the back of the unit. I have never taken American electronics overseas, though I have had friends that bought power convertors. Why are you moving to England?

Tyler Cookson

Stunt Coordinator
fathers business. oh well. I hear electronics are really expensive over their, so might as well stock up. I am selling a lot of my audio stuff though. bringing over my newest edition (my DIY sub with a RE HC and nadyXA900 I am ordering soon) along with some polk lsi9's (which i can get for $420 shipped with my circuit city accomdations) and HK's best stereo reciever. should be fun. thank you very much.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Stepdown transformers are about £15. These are suitable for low-current devices like DVD players, CD Players, VCR's etc. I use one for a imported DVD player.. for poweramps you will need something of a higher output. Personally I would just bring over the low-current devices (and passive speakers). Sell off the poweramps/amps that do not have switchable PSU's in the US and buy the 240V versions. :-(

Roughly wherabouts are you moving to? London/ dahn sarth :) (very expensive to live):thumbsdown:

Tyler Cookson

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah heading over to London. Thing is I get Harman Kardon recievers for an incredible price due to my circuit city accomodations. Are their any online English stores where I can buy stuff for a decent price? because I honestly will be wanting to spend more money on travelling than anything.

Mike Co

Agent
I lived over there for about 13 years; the 'keep-ables" when moving either way are speakers, CD players, amps--but forget about video devices, PAL vs NTSC is a no go, though some DVD players will do both,and pre-amps.
Receivers & amps: if you really like what you've got you can have the transformers modified over there (Harman UK, Ltd in Slough), though I'd be surprised if Harmon Kardon doesn't already have a switchable/tapped x-former (will indicate 110/220/240 on the back). The tuner will have different frequency steps vs US tuners, and as mentioned, the video circuitry is NTSC.
You'll love the pubs, though they seem to be cost prohibitive these days!
BTW Frequency of the mains (50/60HZ) is a non issue for most electronics as most power supplies convert AC to DC; the exception is clocks and other AC motor driven stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks