What's new

American Dreams Season 3 thread (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I hope it will stay around. This show has never really done that well in the ratings. I just hope NBC will stick with it because I think it is a high quality TV show.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
What grade is Meg supposed to be in now, anyway?

She can't be on Bandstand if she's out of high school, and this is year 3 for the series.

Glenn

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This, supposedly, is Meg and Rox's senior year (thus Rox's reaction to her mother getting re-married and moved out of the school district for her senior year at East Catholic).

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

Actually, I think the age limit was 19 if I am not mistaken. I recall there were some dancers on the show in the late 60s that were in college.

Of course, we have to suspend reality for this show now. This show is now taking place in 1965 and in reality American Bandstand was in L.A. by this time, shown only once a week on Saturdays.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Patrick is correct. When the series started JJ was a senior and Meg was a sophomore—she could not yet drive.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
If Cold Case is killing American Dreams in the ratings, why aren't we seeing any posts raving about Cold Case?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Shows with ongoing plotlines tend to have more discussion life that the shows that are wrapped up each week. Just nature of the beast.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I was just trying to point out that since she seems to be the lead character, when she graduates AB will be gone, and that is a major draw to the show for me.

I don't see anything wrong with having a good and solid 3 year series rather than have one that can drag on and on.

Glenn

Terry H

Second Unit

I suspect they would find a job for her on Bandstand. Producer or assistant producer. I seem to recall her assisting with some shows and showing she had a talent for it.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator

Wasn't it that the Bandstand producer or director got her an internship in the newsroom? That was where she worked with the pot smoking son of the news producer. He seems to have disappeared this year, Meg's new neighbor being the bad-boy flavor of the year. Meg seems drawn to these types, even more so than Rox. Apparently this is her way of trying to undo the inluence of her father. I liked Luke and I liked the news room guy ok, but I really dislike this neighbor.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
They seem to be spending less time at AB this year, espacially with Meg's Viet Nam war protests. Don't forget that Patty will be old enough to go on AB before too long, won't she?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
10/17/04

Meg finally gets her Henry, but it takes some crafty manuevering, and some leverage exerted by one of the teachers in lieu of completing homework.

Rox is almost bounced out of the Pryor house, but at the last moment, Jack reconsiders.

Pete gets suspended from the police force due to a bar brawl, and his support of Jack for his run for city councilman.

JJ becomes closer to the girl from the hospital, Ahn?. They share a kiss on one of their "dates".

JJ has to endure the interrogation of a friendly Vietnamese bartender, but speak up for the bartender. This results in him not gettting the assignment he was in contention for among the others. Later, the bar is bombed, and Ahn is killed. That gets JJ out of a mess he might have gotten himself into, with a child on the way with Beth.

Beth and the singer share a kiss after she inspires him to finish a song for her. She's definitely confused by the whole situation.

Henry finally meets Sam's girl Melanie at Sam's first basketball game, and gives Sam some teasing about it. Melanie also meets Meg at the game, and Melanie seems to have a jealous streak about her given her concerned look as Sam acknowledged Meg's presence during the game.

Jack wins the election, on the strength of Henry's neighborhood voters, who were blocked by red tape, but the neighborhood walked all the way to the polls to vote for Jack.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I figured the JJ & Ahn relationship wouldn't last too long, but I was surprised to see it end this suddendly. Previews for next week looked interesting.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
So is the singer-guy that Beth has been hanging out with supposed to be James Taylor? Sure sounds like him when he sings.

Rob

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
From what I've read the bar singer is Ben Taylor, who is the son of James Taylor and Carly Simon, and it's eerie how much Ben sounds like his dad in some lyrics. Now, I don't know if Ben is supposed to be playing his father on the show.

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning

Did the bartender plant the bomb? The look between him and JJ seemed to indicate that to me.

Terry H

Second Unit

The obvious answer: because he's Viet Cong. The fact that he ran when he saw JJ also leads me to think he did it. How ironic that JJ defended the guy who ended up killing his Vietnamese love interest.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

James Taylor would have been only 17 in 1965, so I am not sure if he is portraying his father or just an anonymous folk singer. But who knows, they had "Janis Joplin" on the show last year.

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator
He's James Taylor's son, huh? The first thing I said to my roommate when I heard him was, "Man, he sounds like James Taylor." I thought they had James singing instead of the actor. Now I know there's a good reason he sounds like him.

I doubt they want him to be playing James Taylor. Why do that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks