What's new

"Amelie" or "In the Bedroom"? (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Edwin and Seth.
Next time either one of you are in NYC, it will be my treat.:)
BTW, Michael, why won't you be seeing Amelie? You are usually one of the first to see these films. What gives?:confused:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, "Amelie" is by far the best romantic comedy I've seen in quite awhile. Audrey Tautou reminded me of another Audrey that first graced the silver screen back in the early 1950's. What a charming and very fulfilling film. I'm definitely buying this dvd!

Crawdaddy

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
BTW, Michael, why won't you be seeing Amelie? You are usually one of the first to see these films.
I see a lot, but I can't see everything; so I have to make choices. Amelie gets very low priority because I have never once seen a Jeunet film that I enjoyed. I'll see it on video, and I may even like it. But for now, there are too many other films in theaters that interest me more. Examples include Scotland PA (which I saw today), Last Orders (limited release next weekend) and Shiri (currently playing in limited release; won't last long).

M.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Amelie gets very low priority because I have never once seen a Jeunet film that I enjoyed.
Which means, you must've only seen Alien: Resurrection. If this is the case, then you're depriving yourself of a truly wonderful theatrical experience.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Paul
I'm pretty sure Michael is including Delicatessen and City Of Lost Children which were co-directed with Caro, Right Michael?
What didn't you like about them?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If this is the case, then you're depriving yourself of a truly wonderful theatrical experience.
I could say the same thing about many of the more obscure titles I review on HTF and few people go to see. But we all have to recognize that life is short, films are many, and choices must be made. When a director's work consistently fails to engage me, his future films get a lower priority on my list. I see over 100 films theatrically every year, which is far more than most people here. With so many wonderful theatrical experiences at hand, I'll just have to reconcile myself to the fact that I may miss out on one or two. ;)
M.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I'd cast another vote for Amelie. I saw this afternoon and it was great. I don't usually like comedies at all (I know that is a broad generalization, but comedies rarely do anything for me!), but this one did give quite a few laughs. It is not going to be for everyone, but then very few French films that I have seen are for everyone.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Delicatessen said:
It's inevitable one can't see every film released in a given year. But I think its a big mistake for a movie lover to miss a treasure like Amelie on the big screen. Best film of last year IMO. NO one should miss it, regardless of their opinions of Jeunet's other work. It far surpasses anything he's done before.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yes Michael, Amelie was quite strong by most accounts, period.

But I appreciate the limited time thing and at least you have very reasonable reasons for passing on it.

kevin_tomb

Stunt Coordinator
WOW......just saw AMELIE....AWESOME> Its one of those movies where you just say "why cant all movies be this cool" Something about it kinda reminded me about RUN LOLA RUN. But, AMELIE is nothing like LOLA, just has that cool feeling and style about it.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
You're not biased are you, Double-E? :D
FWIW, I'd rather watch Amelie as well. It's a charming and quite enjoyable film with an engaging star. In the Bedroom is also a fine movie with outstanding (though understated) cinematography and acting. It is deliberately paced so you need to have patience with it. Still, for me, Amelie has much more replay value.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This will probably come as no surprise to some of you, but I find In the Bedroom both a significantly better and more re-watchable film. It is not the more pleasant film, though.

BTW, I have seen and own both films.

I also want to point out that saying the story line or "twists and turns" are obvious means you are completely missing the point of the film. One of the greatest dramas of all time has the line, in the first minute, "Star cross'd lovers take their lives." Sometimes it is not just about what happens, but experiencing what happens. Shakespeare knew this when he wrote "Romeo & Juliet" and it applies every bit as much to In the Bedroom. In fact, when I recommend it to people, I tell them, you can see most of what will happen coming from a mile away, but that isn't what the film is about. It's a shame that almost every film made these days is expected to be about twists and turns.

Amelie is a sweet little piece of fluff, and quite nicely made. It is easy to watch and won't burden you with any unnecessary or unpleasant thoughts. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The cinematography is lush, if a bit obvious, but that is the style of the Director. In fact, it is pretty subtle for him. Still, in my book, In the Bedroom is the significantly better made film. Nothing against Amelie, it's just that in my opinion, ITB is almost transcendent in its artfulness and quiet passion.

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
I also want to point out that saying the story line or "twists and turns" are obvious means you are completely missing the point of the film. One of the greatest dramas of all time has the line, in the first minute, "Star cross'd lovers take their lives." Sometimes it is not just about what happens, but experiencing what happens. Shakespeare knew this when he wrote "Romeo & Juliet" and it applies every bit as much to In the Bedroom. In fact, when I recommend it to people, I tell them, you can see most of what will happen coming from a mile away, but that isn't what the film is about. It's a shame that almost every film made these days is expected to be about twists and turns.
John puts it a lot more eloquently than I can. In The Bedroom's subject matter is serious, but the film is so powerful it is an easy re-watch for me. Amelie is a fine film, but I only re-watch if my wife requests it :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the strength of ItB is what it allowed Spacek and Wilkinson to do. Watching them go through the various stages of mourning was what drove the film for me. The ending felt quite inevitable to me, and in fact I think the actors/script really established that subtextual desire throughout the film.

It was more about the emotional states that they were reaching and how their relationship was strained beyond the breaking point. Even after the "satisfying" ending I think the film tells us that resolution has not been found and that the resentment between the two has not and will not diminish, or at least never leave completely.

Having said that I still find Amelie much more rewatchable and rated it bit higher than ItB (I have Amelie as my #2 film for that year with ItB at #20...both come highly recommended from me of course).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, Seth, and all others here, I hope you will be joining in on the discussion of ITB in the second cine discussion.......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks