What's new

Amazon Prime membership just got better - includes Amazon Instant Videos (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
On the main page for Amazon:

www.amazon.com

they announced that Amazon Prime membership ($79/year for 2-day shipping on any order for the year) now comes with free Amazon Instant Video streaming.

http://www.amazon.com/Video-On-Demand/b/ref=sa_menu_atv3?ie=UTF8&node=16261631

Not a bad bundle if you order a lot from Amazon, but now you would not need to try to reach the $25 threshhold for Amazon free ground shipping on smaller orders if you didn't have the Amazon Prime membership.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
But since most studios do not allow their more commercial, recent, or successful films to be streamed (by anyone), Netflix still has an advantage, since Netflix includes one DVD along with their streaming. In that way, you can actually see popular films of the past two or three years. With only-streaming, you can't. Just old films and a huge selection of 2-star films, and a few pretty good tv series.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Will_B

But since most studios do not allow their more commercial, recent, or successful films to be streamed (by anyone), Netflix still has an advantage, since Netflix includes one DVD along with their streaming. In that way, you can actually see popular films of the past two or three years. With only-streaming, you can't. Just old films and a huge selection of 2-star films, and a few pretty good tv series.
Really?

"Up"?
The Steig Larsson trilogy?

"Alice in Wonderland"?

"Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs"?

"District 9"?

plus most BBC America series

Hardly what I would call old or 2-star films....

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I just posted this offer just in case some people were on the fence about Amazon Prime, this new addition might just push them into going for it now. No one said it was a replacement for Netflix, but if I were to pick between the 2 offers, I might be inclined to give the Amazon Prime some consideration if I bought a lot of stuff from Amazon, or would buy more from them (especially with brick-n-mortar stores/outlets drying up) if I didn't have to meet the $25 per order level for free shipping (my personal threshhold for placing orders with Amazon these days).

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I can't afford PRIME. I had it free in January and I ordered more movies last month than I did the previous 6. I would be way too dangerous if I had it for a whole year. :D

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Netflix streaming only runs $96/year. 1 disc at a time is $120.

If the Amazon streaming library approaches what Netflix has, then it'd be more than worth it to switch.

And there are ways to get up to 6 months of free Amazon Prime, but you'd have to ask my wife how she pulled it off.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by nolesrule

And there are ways to get up to 6 months of free Amazon Prime, but you'd have to ask my wife how she pulled it off.

This offer is only good for *paid* (regular) subscription to Amazon Prime -- they specifically state that. I also use Amazon Mom to get free, short term version of Amazon Prime, and this new offer certainly does not seem to apply for that.

_Man_

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by EricSchulz

Really?

"Up"?
The Steig Larsson trilogy?

"Alice in Wonderland"?

"Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs"?

"District 9"?

plus most BBC America series

Hardly what I would call old or 2-star films....

They are promoting the Steig Larsson trilogy heavily because it is so very lucky that they have it. Scroll through the films while in the Netflix interface and you'll see that more than 90% of them are 2 star films from no-name distributors. This is because those distributors have nothing to lose. But distributors of popular films believe that streaming reduces sales, so there are very few of them. Even very old popular films, like the first Harry Potter films, are not available on Netflix streaming.

I agree the BBC titles are great, and are pretty much what I watch with Netflix streaming. Lots of great BBC stuff.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Aren't people who have Amazon Prime supposed to get new releases on street date? Or does it depend on WHEN the order is placed? I ordered DRIVE on Sunday afternoon and I thought it said "receive by street date' but they just emailed me with an "estimated" delivery date of Thursday. This is unacceptable. I don't want to make a big deal out of this but getting stuff delivered a couple of days late is happening with increasing frequency with Amazon. I could've grabbed this at Best Buy after work.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
You could always contact their customer service department Luis. I order a lot of stuff from Amazon and my Blu-rays arrive on street date 99.9% of the time. In fact I ordered To Kill a Mockingbird on Sunday evening and today it's out for delivery with UPS. Of course, it probably helps that I live in Phoenix. They have a huge distribution center here.

And speaking of Prime Instant Videos, I agree that it's a pretty good deal if you do a lot of purchasing from Amazon. My biggest gripe is that there is NO way to manage your free streaming content. There is nothing like the Queue that Netflix provides, so you either have to browse or search for a title when you want to watch it. Only purchased or rented streaming video goes into your Amazon Video Library. I hope they fix this at some point, because it makes the service very convenient to use.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
dpippel said:
You could always contact their customer service department Luis. I order a lot of stuff from Amazon and my Blu-rays arrive on street date 99.9% of the time. In fact I ordered To Kill a Mockingbird on Sunday evening and today it's out for delivery with UPS. Of course, it probably helps that I live in Phoenix. They have a huge distribution center here. And speaking of Prime Instant Videos, I agree that it's a pretty good deal if you do a lot of purchasing from Amazon. My biggest gripe is that there is NO way to manage your free streaming content. There is nothing like the Queue that Netflix provides, so you either have to browse or search for a title when you want to watch it. Only purchased or rented streaming video goes into your Amazon Video Library. I hope they fix this at some point, because it makes the service very convenient to use.
Thanks for the tip! I emailed customer service and they apologized and gave me a $10 credit towards my next purchase, which I promptly used for a Blu-ray copy of The Thing. I try to only contact customer service in extreme cases, if something is delayed for an extended period, got lost, etc., but in this case it was the right move. I actually didn't expect to get a credit but they went above and beyond so I'm happy.

tbenedict

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis Benedict
Will_B said:
They do? I just signed up and streaming is 7.99 and it doesn't include any DVD's. I double checked and it would be ~$15 for both. Just curious if I am missing something...because that would be handy.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
tbenedict said:
They do? I just signed up and streaming is 7.99 and it doesn't include any DVD's. I double checked and it would be ~$15 for both. Just curious if I am missing something...because that would be handy.
It was true in February 2011 when he posted that. It's not the case any longer.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by elDomenechHTF

Thanks for the tip! I emailed customer service and they apologized and gave me a $10 credit towards my next purchase, which I promptly used for a Blu-ray copy of The Thing. I try to only contact customer service in extreme cases, if something is delayed for an extended period, got lost, etc., but in this case it was the right move. I actually didn't expect to get a credit but they went above and beyond so I'm happy.

Glad you got it sorted out. My experiences with Amazon's customer service have always been the same as yours. I think they're one of the best in the business.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks