What's new

Amazon out of stock on Phantom menace? (1 Viewer)

My friend got this email today, what is up with this?
"Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.
I've checked into your order (#002-3121554-4052031) and found that you may
have already received e-mail from us about this item. Unfortunately, when
we contacted our supplier, we learned that "Star Wars - Episode I, The
Phantom Menace (English/ French)" is no longer available.
This unavailable item has been cancelled from your order, and your credit
card has not been charged for it.
I apologize for this inconvenience. Until recently we still hoped to be
able to obtain this item for you.
We make a significant effort to keep abreast of prices and availabilities,
but our reliance on our suppliers for information about the items they
offer means that, occasionally, our database will not reflect all changes.
Again, we are very sorry for any disappointment this has caused. Please
know that we value your business, and hope to see you again soon at
Amazon.com."
What is doubly weird is that this is listed as being English/French, but the site shows it as English/Spanish . . . this may be nothing, but what is up with Amazon?
Is this title that MUCH in DemanD?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I do hope that was a mistake! How can they run of something before it is even out? If they ordered 100k copies and they are reserved, why can't they just order more? Could this have anything to do with the announcement tomorrow? - this could be scary, so I'm stopping here.
Glenn

According to our supplier (Image Entertainment) the title is going to be severely allocated according to Fox. We were told this 1 week before the title even cutoff for dealer pre-books. As a result, we were told to expect to be shorted. I talked to a couple other distributors and was told the same thing.
My personal thought is Fox is going to try and create some artificial demand. It is very difficult for me to believe that they cannot make enough to cover the demand.
Mark
Digital Eyes

I haven't been following this topic at all until my friend emailed me about Amazon's reply, but I thank you very much, Glenn and Mark, you are both right on target.
I asked my friend why Amazon?
I guess my other friend is starting to look *smart* by pre-ordering the Japanese R2 version . . . .

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I was going to buy this locally, but if it's going to be out of stock right away, screw it...wasn't my favorite anyhow...

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
That's scary. Since I haven't pre-ordered it yet, I guess I'm off to my local B&M on the 16th. Yikes!
If I get there when they are open and they say that they are all gone I'm going to turn them in for early sales.
Glenn

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to run this back up. I ordered TPM with DvdEmpire. I figure that if it doesn't ship out on the 12th, I'll just cancel it and pick it up locally.
Glenn

CRyan

Screenwriter
Is it not illegal to create an "artifical demand?" I thought it was but I amy be wrong of course.
C. Ryan
[Edited last by CRyan on September 13, 2001 at 02:44 AM]

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think that it is artificial. Why would Amazon say that? I'm sure that GL ordered enough to be made, but it sort of comes down to distribution. More people use Amazon then someone figured.
I almost feel sorry for Amazon. Did they not order enough or hit their limit?
Glenn

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a scary thought... Maybe they haven't been paying their bills as regularly as they should be.
Daniel L

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Part of the problem is that they are printing for the entire world at once. Something like 8-10 million copies. I think the US is getting about 2 million to start with, but even so, do you really think that's enough?
Jeff Kleist

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, mine always ship on the previous Friday, and I've used both priority and FedEx 2nd. That's really strange about yours. The only thing I can think of is that they didn't have yours on Friday, so they couldn't ship them out.
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread