What's new

Amazon.com Removed Willy Wonka Reviews (1 Viewer)

Mike A

Agent
The reviews are for the product right? The DVD itself is what people are reviewing, which includes the transfer, sound and extras. If I was buying a product I would want to know these things, not just what people thought of the movie. If I wanted a strictly movie rating I'd go to IMDB or read real critics reviews.
What's the point of having product reviews if you are going to censor them? Bad move by Amazon. Maybe I'll post a review like everyone else at Amazon does. "Best movie EVAR!!".
biggrin.gif

------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
You're missing the point.
What if "DOG POOP" was really a chocolate pudding desert?
It is called dog poop, but if you say it's bad from just the name, is it really bad?
In the case of "Wonka," we know what "Dog Poop" is. This isn't a disc mistakenly labeled as "full frame" that really has a letterboxed transfer on it — we know for a FACT that the transfer really is Dog Poop (aka full frame).

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Has no one noticed Amazon's guidelines?
"Your review should focus on the book's content and context."
They also prohibit "Profanity, obscenities, or spiteful remarks."

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and here's the likely reason why the review on this list was removed:
"A review is not an appropriate place to tell us our catalog has typos in it. If you'd like to tell us about a specific problem, please send us the e-mail at [email protected]."

JamesCS

Stunt Coordinator
Kimmo, thanks for clarifying that I'm flat out wrong. For awhile there I was under the delusion that I was the expert and you were the novice on this issue. But you have convincingly demonstrated to us that the reverse is true. I'm glad you have cleared that up.
I was merely pointing out the fact the Amazon removed many of the 1-star DVD reviews while leaving in tact most if not all the 5-star DVD reviews. Here's an example of a 5-star DVD REVIEW THAT IS STILL ON AMAZON -
It's about time this one got a special edition DVD, May 30, 2001
Reviewer: Ernest M Bhend (see more about me) from Columbia, MO USA
Personally this is one of my favorite children's movies. Gene Wilder does a fantastic job as Willy Wonka. The story is great, the sets are fantastic, and the music is good too. A true classic. The extras to be featured on this DVD (new documentary, audio commentary, etc.) are a great improvement over the previous DVD release. I would highly recommend this DVD.
[Edited last by JamesCS on August 19, 2001 at 07:36 PM]

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Well, that was the reviewers honest opinion. To him, the full frame presentation probably wasn't a big deal - if, indeed, he was even aware of it - but the great extras etc (which I'm sure nobody here would argue with being great) probably makes this the best presentation of this movie - to him.
I'm sure if you were to write a review, giving the movie five stars but ending it with something like "Unfortunately, this 30th anniversary special edition has one huge flaw, and that is that the movie is not presented in its original aspect ratio. For that reason alone I could not recommend buying it, despite the fact that the movie itself is a classic." That would probably be allowed.
However, writing "This is a wonderful movie, the extras are top notch. This is one of my all-time favorites. Unfortunately it's full frame, so I don't want anyone to buy it, so I'm giving it 1 star!" is something I would probably remove myself were I to work at Amazon...
I don't know, I guess I'm just amazed at all this anger at Amazon. They're a business, trying to make money. They altered the information about the disc and mailed all prospective customers and pointed out that the change had occurred.
If you really want to effect a change, then mail them and request they separate the reviews into reviews of the movie and have specific reviews for the technical presentation of that particular DVD.
------------------
/Kimmo
[Edited last by Kimmo Jaskari on August 20, 2001 at 03:20 AM]

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
What if Amazon got flooded with more 1 star reviews? It would keep them busy (Ok, probably get them mad!) :)
Seriously, I know they are in business to make money but wouldn't it be great if they could say that they won't be carrying it? Ask their readers to sign the petition.
Glenn

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
They never even posted mine. I wrote a review mentioning the lack of WS and it never appeared (I checked over the next 3 days).

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
I'm in the same boat as David... I posted twice, in fact--six days apart.
-Mike
------------------
.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.
void *: Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything
.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.

Users who are viewing this thread