Amazon.com and a May 5 release day let-down. 8-(

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Paul Hillenbrand, May 5, 2009.

1. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    In the past I've received most pre-orders to my area via 2-day UPS from Amazon on release day, but today there were two Blu-ray titles (released today) that haven't even shipped as yet. [​IMG]

I pre-ordered "Grease" (Blu-ray) for a usual release day expectation of 5/5/09 but have received no sipping notice. When checked, the order hasn't even been marked as it's "getting ready for shipment".
    Their site has an - "In Stock on May 7" - note. [​IMG]

It's the same situation for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" ((Blu-ray) pre-order I made. It also has an "In Stock on May 7" note on the site.[​IMG]

Both titles are Paramount Studio releases, yet "Saturday Night Fever" (Paramount) is listed as "In-Stock" on the site.

Paul

2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    For what it's worth, sometimes with Amazon I've had the shipping status not change while the package did go out when it was supposed to, and I only saw the website updated once the packaged had either made it out to me or was in transit. So perhaps it's on it's way out.

If you don't get it in a couple days, though, give them a call -- I remember one time I ordered something and paid for 2-day shipping to get it as close to release date as possible, and due to an error on their end, it didn't ship until a few days later. I either called or emailed them and quite politely explained my dilemma, and that I didn't think it was fair to be charged for two-day shipping on a time-sensitive package (which a pre-order is), only to have the package ship late. They refunded my shipping charges for the trouble.

3. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Same situation here. [​IMG]

4. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

Ditto.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The Benjamin Button Blu-ray is the same price ($25.99) at Best Buy stores as Amazon.

6. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

Thanks, Travis. Action taken. Pre-order cancelled. Trip made to BB, four blocks away.

I haven't been inside a BB for about 7 or 8 months. I was blown away by the Blu stock. Both sides of a long isle. Very impressive for the format. But still, I'm primarily an Amazon boy.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I was also surprised that Grease did not arrive today
    with Saturday Night Fever. I am now being told May 7th
    as well.

8. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    At least for me, the effective BB price is actually more than $2 higher due to sales tax. I can wait a few more days for Amazon to ship.

Sounds like Paramount really screwed Amazon over this week.

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Ouch. I had a $5 Reward Zone certificate and the tax was $1.20 so I got it for $22.25.

10. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

This is weird; the last thing I ordered from amazon was Beverly Hills 90210 season seven--I actually received it on the Saturday before its release date. That was also a Paramount title. Don't know what's up with amazon at present.

11. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

I generally never receive pre-orders earlier than the Thursday following release - that being said, they need to get crackin' to get these to me as promised.

Update: May 6, 1:16 PM - Shown as shipping soon so I can't cancel. Still expected delivery date tomorrow...are they gonna ship overnight even though I have 2-day prime shipping....stay tuned

Update: May 6, 9:43 PM - Finally shown as shipped - got an e-mail stamped 9:33 saying they were shipped. Were not shown as shipped around 8 PM. Still show estimated arrival as tomorrow....we'll see.

Final update: Credit where credit is due - Amazon overnighted these to me and they arrived today. Way to go! [​IMG]

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I stopped buying all my pre-orders from Amazon because they could never get them to me by release day. If the Blu-ray streets Tuesday, I want it Tuesday, not Wednesday, not Thursday...etc. I buy from BB or some other B&M. Prices are usually just as good and I get my movie on street day.

13. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

It is 10:20 PM Eastern Time & Amazon shows "Grease" BD as being in stock. I expect my One Day delivery to ship on 5/6/09. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Martin Teller

Martin Teller Cinematographer

You have 2095 other DVDs in your collection, but a couple days late for two more is cause for frowny faces? You'll get 'em eventually, just watch something else.

Between this thread and the LOTR thread, I'm wondering if "patience" is a dirty word around here.

15. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Well it is more than 12 hours later & there is NO INDICATION on Amazon that "Grease" BD is going to be shipping anytime soon. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Does anyone have any insight as to what is actually going on with this title & Amazon?!?!?? [​IMG]

16. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Very helpful post.[​IMG]

FYI: The title does say "May 5 release day let-down", not massacre. It was the Cinco-de-Mayo Holiday that came and went and plans & invitations were made & given.

It would be nice to know why Amazon.com didn't come through like other sources did on these titles, because people depend on release dates.[​IMG]

Paul

17. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Well it is 2:10 PM and Amazon has "Grease" BD in preparation for shipping. Hopefully it will go out before the day is done & I'll get it tomorrow via 1 day shipping. [​IMG]

18. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Amazon moved my delivery date of Grease to May 12-13.

Honestly, I am not upset over this. I have bought hundreds upon
    hundreds of DVDs and BDs from Amazon and this is the first time
    in 4 years that the company ever delayed a release.

19. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

My BD of "Grease" has shipped. I just got the email from Amazon notifying me. I'm curious Ron as to why your copy will ship so late!?! Are you using Standard shipping? I think using Standard shipping sometimes causes an order to ship at a later date.

20. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand
    FYI: Received a 1:48PM PDT email from Amazon that Grease (Blu-ray) shipped.

Paul