What's new

Amazon BOGO sale on BDs 1/1/08 (Deal is dead) (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

$14 may not be as good as $11.xx, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized it was a lot better than $25 (which is what each of them would have been with only the standard 10% off), and still better than even the $18 the 'sensibley priced' titles were (again with the standard 10% off).
This is the cheapest these are likely ever to be (until another BOGO), so you might as well indulge.

I would have liked to have taken this opportunity to replace the old Full Metal Jacket that I ebayed off a few weeks back, but I honestly can't find another $19.95 title I want. If they had Eyes Wide Shut or A Clockwork Orange, that would have been perfect.
oh well- something to pick up in future BOGO.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
2 upgrades:

Planet Of The Apes (yes, I do like this film)
The Wild Bunch

Still pay $11 for USPS to Canada, but it's still a far better deal than local blue-and-yellow big box B&M for PotA with US/CDN exchange and taxes.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

I hear ya. I want The Shining, but the only other 2 Blu-Ray titles I'm in the market for right now are Eyes Wide Shut and Hellboy, neither of which are part of the sale.

UPDATE: Never mind. Somehow I missed "Galapagos" before. It'll make a nice companion to my Planet Earth set. BOGOs rule! :D

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
Not to complain about free stuff, but I'm kind of disappointed that Amazon's blu-ray buy-one get-one free selection is more impressive than their HD DVD bogo selection.

BrandonH

Stunt Coordinator
man I love this form!
Thank you for this post.
just bought Fantastic 4 Rise of the silver surfer and teenage mutant ninja turtles
Free shipping no tax sweet deal.
Yeah the selection on the HD DVD BOGO was not very good did not find anything there I wanted.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
It's $5 off $50, but they use the total before the discounts, so the two Fox titles are $55.90, so the coupon applies. It was even better with the bonus 10%.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Thanks for confirming what I found out elsewhere. I ended up breaking up my orders a bit more to make better use of this -- and decided to go for The Usual Suspects afterall because of it (and just keep my SE DVD for the supplements and not worry about a future double-dip). :D This certainly helps bring the net cost of those ~$28 titles on par w/ the cheaper ones...

_Man_

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
Cast Away and (shudder) Eragon.

Almost picked up planet of the apes and ice age meltdown, but just couldn't hit the proceed button.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm finding it hard to pull the trigger on the barebones Fox BD releases (I fear the High-def Double-Dip).

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Yea, but one is free! ;)
I agree however. the price, and lack of extras makes FOX a hard sell. Thats why i wouldnt buy any without the sale. No way would i pay the FULL price. FOX still plays the games they did with LD, and the early days of DVD!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Pat, you can always just keep the old DVD for the extras though. That's what I decided w/ The Usual Suspects (after factoring the DVDSAVE5 coupon) to go w/ Mr. & Mrs. Smith -- another title that was marginal for me -- for a net cost of $11.50 each. :D Even if you wait for the eventual SE double-dip, there's no guarantee the extra content will be any better than whatever offered on the SE DVD, and there's also no guarantee you'll get the same kind of net cost on it.

_Man_

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Anyone know how long this sale will continue for? Im at work and wont be ordering until tonight or tomorrow.

Ill prolly get the three Die Hards, most definitely. I really want to get Cast Away but I dont see it listed on there anymore. Must all be gone. :frowning:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Sadly, I don't always have the tricked out DVD edition of some of these films, so if I get a BD with little in terms of supplementals, it'd mean a double-dip decision if/when the next version of the BD shows up with the supplementals.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
The Harry Potter titles were gone for a little bit, but now they're back, so I picked them up and will be bringing my previously bought copies back to Best Buy. Also picked up Usual Suspects as it usually retails for a whopping $35 to go along with the Departed. Sweet deals! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks