AMADEUS: Director's Cut, Poltergeist and Gremlins SEs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim RH, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

2. Frank Tran

Frank Tran Agent

Amadeus!!!!! Finally!!!
    Now I can give that dang flipper away!!!

3. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

I'll only buy the new Poltergeist if the weird cut is out of there. If not, the one I have will do fine [​IMG]

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

What? No mention of the SE for The Color Purple as well? [​IMG]

5. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Another Warner 2-disc SE.

I hope we'll see packaging similar to Citizen Kane instead of going the el-cheapo route like they did with the JFK: SE.

6. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Whoa...all these...MINE! [​IMG]
    Dan

8. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

If you've seen Cartman's reaction to inheriting $1m, then you know what I sound like now [​IMG]
    Yay.

9. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

According to dvdfile, the theatrical release will be a director's cut with 20 minutes extra. I realize this is a bit early to start speculating, but I hope both the original and the director's cut is on the DVD when released. I have been waiting for a rerelease of this movie, I actually saw it in a theatre when it opened, but only remember being bored out of my mind back then. Later I have seen more Milos Forman movies, and liked them all a lot, so I have been wanting to see this one again as well. Unfortunately I haven't even found a rental locally, and I did not want to buy the current DVD.

10. MichaelO

MichaelO Stunt Coordinator

I too hope they put both the theatrical and the Director's Cut of Amadeus on the disc. I for one thought the movie was pretty much perfect as is. Can't wait for these titles.
    Also, could someone please explain what is meant by the "weird cut" in Poltergeist? Thanks.

11. James Miller

James Miller Stunt Coordinator

12. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Very happy about all those films arriving from Warner. Can't wait for Gremlins 2...oh I love that one!

NOW...Warner...let's visit the vaults alright?!

Maybe this year is shaping up DVD wise...have to wait on whether or not I will be totally happy this year with DVD based on the pending Paramount announcements....

13. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

14. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    According to www.filmratings.com the Amadeus Director's Cut (2002) is rated R for brief nudity.
    I'm not thrilled with that news. First of all, this picture won Best Picture of 1984 as it was released theatrically (rated PG). The current DVD (a flipper) of that original version is inferior in quality and extras for such a big film and in need of re-issue.
    Our family rented and watched Amadeus on DVD recently. We enjoyed the classical music and the story, but as noted the current DVD is lacking. I looked forward to a special edition DVD release to purchase. We could live with the PG-level content for our 8-year old daughter, who took up violin in the past year and thus enjoyed the music in the movie. But now I don't want her to see the Director's Cut, which is a different movie.
    They should release both versions on DVD, either separately or in the same package. I'm only interested in the picture that won the Oscar.

15. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

According to DVDfile, Amadaeus is going to have a re-release of the new expanded version in a limited amount of theaters this spring. So when the new version comes out on DVD later this year it can still be called a theatrical version (of sorts).

When the new dvd comes outI wish that the added 20 minutes could be accessed via seamless branching so that the original version could still be watched. Guess I'll have to hang on to my old copy.

Still, it's about time Amadeus got a re-issue. It's long over due. Looking forward to this

16. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I'd love to see Amadeus get a nice DTS track on there. The music would really benefit.

Come on WB!!!!

Dan

17. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

As exciting as this news is and as much as I love Amadeus, I think the theatrical version is perfect as it is. Of course, I will see the new version but I personally don't feel the movie needs to be longer. As noted by other members in this thread, I just hope both versions will be presented on DVD.

18. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I've been looking forward to the Amadeus 2-Disc SE for a while, but if the original theatrical cut isn't on there, well then, I'll be pissed. It's a 2-Disc Set though, so I HOPE they are leaving all the room on Disc 1 to watch the original 1984 cut or the extended cut with branching.

I refuse to buy a DSSL flipper of the original cut, but let's just hope both versions are on this disc.

19. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Any more news on this release?

20. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

I've been waiting so long for a re-release! Admittedly, the news might become a little tainted if the original theatrical release isn't on the disc as well, especially since this is one of my top 5 favorite flicks of all time.