What's new

Am I Unimpressed with Home Theater or does mine just suck? (1 Viewer)

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
by the way im getting that SPL meter, speaker wire and an xbox high definitions kit in T-minus 10 hours.

Depending on how much information i gather within the next hour im gonna start a thread that has massive confusion about 6.1 and 7.1

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
people go nuts on this calibrating thing, what more is there to calibrating other then making sure all the speakers are the same volume when they hit your ear?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Allen,

The calibration is also intended to make the whole audio spectrum more even (all frequencies equally loud), helps to get speakers in phase, helps placing them properly in regard to the "hot spot" and other chairs, etc.

If the hiss continues to exist, your mom may be right! However, don't buy a receiver without trying it first, preferably also in your room and your setup (if they allow that).

Cees

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jawhn MacCaine
First, after calibration, your Sub won't NECESSARILY be set to 0. But, if it is, that's where the BEST sound will be. If , by "boring", you mean it won't sound like some cars I've heard with the bass so loud that the parts were vibrating loose, then "YES it will be boring". If the sub is adjusted properly, the bass will stand out WHEN IT IS SUPPOSED TO, not all the time.

As Richard said the Yammy may be a bit bright for your speakers, and a Denon (or another) receiver, may be a better choice. BTW: I own a Yamaha RX-V1000 and I'm VERY happy with it. My speakers however are not very bright and there a good match.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
well i fixed my "check sp wire" problem and watched a couple of movies in Dolby Digital EX with 6.1, i havent picked up a noticable difference is this because the movies i watched havent made good use out of that middle rear?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Allen --

I have moved the discussion about a new receiver to your existing thread in the Receivers section. This thread can remain open for further discussion, as needed, about system calibration.

If this thread drifts back toward a duplicate discussion of your new receiver project, it will be closed.

M.

MikeDLeslie

Auditioning
Yes, they sell them at RS unless they've been discontinued. It looks like the one you linked to only with an analog meter. Good luck!

-Mike

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
How do i know if im hurting my speaker? lately i've been hearing noises that have to do with bass, it sounds like well basically a piece of wood vibrating, when i put my hand on the my front speaker i feel all the sound vibrating the wood im concerned if this is normal or if its damaged, sometimes it gets kind of annoying sometimes i noticed it real well when i watched X-men 2 today when they do alot of that no noise stuff but just really deep bass, not strong just ooooooooom type of noise and the speaker vibrates resulting in a noise im not to fond of, if i knew it was normal i wouldnt care but uh..any help?

i've noticed it for a couple of weeks now i dont know if its been doing it ever since i got it or just recently

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Allen,
Here's two suggestions that should make a huge difference. The first one as suggested by everyone else is for you to return the receiver if possible because its probably faulty. If you cant return it for a new one then you'll probably have to get a new one to eliminate that hissing problem.
The second suggestion has to do with the placement of your front speakers. You have an identical viewing/listening position as I do...8-9 feet from the fronts and 4 feet from the rears. You said that your front speakers are 14 feet apart. This is WAY to far apart for this setup. They should be about 5-6 feet apart. Bringing the fronts closer together should really improve the sound. Youre probably getting too much seperation from the right and left speakers right now. The "sweetspot" is probably located someplace on the other side of your pool table. haha
Good luck. I sure hope you get things fixed properly.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Allen,
I have one other suggestion that I forgot to mention and this one is the most important. You absolutely MUST do a better job of connecting your speaker wire. By your own description you've got frayed strands of wire touching the other terminal or even the other wire. You also mentioned that your center speaker might have been wired in reverse because it was sitting upside down although I find this difficult because the connections are still colored red and black arent they? Anyway, wiring the system the way you do can cause damage to the receiver, damage to the speakers and if they're wired out of phase like the center it will cause poor sound and a lack of bass. Hopefully you're not using the cheapo wire that sometimes comes with systems. At the very least you should be using some 16 gage speaker wire. Also if you dont want to use anything like banana plugs, spades or pins on the ends of the wire then once again at the very least make sure that you take the time to twist the ends of the wire nice and tight so there are no loose strands!!! You cannot have even a single strand sticking out and touching any part of the other connection or wire. Make sure of this not only on the speaker end but also on the receiver. If you just get some inexpensive banana plugs from radio shack or something it will make everything so much easier. When I got my Yamaha receiver and saw the binding posts on the back I knew that trying to mess with a bare wire connection wouldnt work very well and would be a pain in the butt. I headed down to radio shack and just picked up some cheap banana plugs that screw on instead of needing solder and it made connecting everything so simple. It also removed the possibility of any bare wires touching anything else. You should make this your next project. Sorry for making this so long. Good luck!!

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
alrighty bill, i dont know where i said the fronts were 14ft apart or if i even did but if i did i dont know what the heck i was thinking cause there like...ehhhhhh 4-6 feet away from each other. Im going to get a new reciever or a pre/pro in 4 months at the most so im just gonna have to put up with it :frowning: because my subwoofer is comming SOON! :D (SVS PB2+), Basically whats goin on now is im tryin to figure out what planet im supposed to go to to get a Analog SPL meter for calibration, i'll get those banana plugs in a day or 2 and also waiting for my subwoofer then from there its a silent road until its time to get a reciever or seperates, then its gonna be somewher ein the 4th quarter of 2004 when i get my new more expensive front speakers and maybe turn my 6.1 to 7.1 and after that i can finally sit down let out a deep breath and tell my family "IT IS DONE, GREATNESS HAS COME UPON US" then watch movies, listen to music, be obsessed with sub sound, learn more about hometheater on this forum until 7.1 discrete comes out and i urge to get a new reciever. Then after that, gotta get my friends and girlfriend into home theater and spread the craze. her quote: "the noise comming out of those holes on the tv is good enough for me"

Oh yea i gotta get an XBOX high definitions kit ((snaps fingers))

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Allen,
Maybe I misunderstood but in your first post you talked about moving the bed out of there and then the speakers would be about 14 feet apart. You might have been talking about the rear speakers and that would be fine for them. Good luck with everything and I sure hope you get it sounding GREAT !!!
Have you tried plugging the receiver into a different outlet to see if it eliminates the hiss? When I first got my sub it had a constant hum so I switched outlets and it was fine. Also try disconnecting the cable for the TV from the wall just to eliminate that as the culprit. Sometimes cable has a bad ground. Once again good luck!!!

JackLonn

Agent
Upgrade your display NOW. That alone will make a huge difference. Once you've done that you'll be itching to upgrade the audio. Without a large display you're only watching TV, not HT. I know, I was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks