What's new

Am I the only one is DOES NOT want to see Lord of the rings? (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
No. You couldn't pay me to go see this overhyped monstrosity. Likely just another piece of trash that will never live up to it's gargantuan expectations.
patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Ditto.
Hey does Lord of the Rings have a hidden meaning or something?
My Dad has read the book and he compared it to the Chronicles of Narnia where the hidden meaning is Christ (Aslan) dying for the sinner (Edward?) and is killed by the White Witch (Satan).
Does Lord of the Rings have a backstory or hidden meaning?
I've heard the Tolkien was Religious.
Oh, one other thing. This is NOT a debate, just a question and if this goes too far, I'll have a moderator remove it.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
C.S. Lewis was an understudy of Tolkien, so your dad should really be comparing the Narnia books to the Middle Earth stories rather than the othe way around.
Tolkien was indeed religious (as was Lewis) and quite eccentric in some ways. He often referred to himself as being a Hobbit in every way except physical size. A dislike of machinery (he never owned a TV or washing machine), good, plain wholesome food (detested French cooking and most things refrigerated) and was most happy at home with a blazing log fire and pipe.
However Tolkien went on record as saying that his stories exist for reason - to exist. Those that insist otherwise are wrong. There is no hidden meaning or allegory (he hated allegory) and certainly no religious meaning apart from the basic struggle of good and evil. The books have some religious elements (especially in The Silmarillion, the opening chapter of which details the creation of Middle Earth) but these don't come up much in The Lord Of The Rings and are not really meant as anything other than a foundation for the world he created.
------------------
"We shall never surrender"
Winston Churchill.
[Edited last by Rob Gillespie on November 03, 2001 at 08:49 AM]

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to see this movie, cuz I got high - cuz I got high - cuz I got high.
biggrin.gif

------------------
B00005LC4P.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305499128.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
0792846427.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305165912.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
B00003CXRM.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

My Top 10 Movies of 2000 of 2001
Fox: Please release P.C.U. on DVD!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
There is no hidden meaning or allegory (he hated allegory) and certainly no religious meaning apart from the basic struggle of good and evil.
Well Tolkein disliked allegory (his exact words) but said that the book may have applicability. An exact quote is found in the foreword of FORT: "But I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied appllicability to hte thought and experience of readers."
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hell, I liked From Beyond.
------------------
-Kevin M.
I can brave the nastiest weather, even when it's eighty below.
My Pa was an Elephant, but that's irrelevant,
My Ma was an Eskimo."
- Cannibal the Musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks