Am I the only one buying DVDs faster than I can watch them?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Thomas T, Nov 16, 2005.

1. PattyFraser

PattyFraser Second Unit

My sister and I have been dvd addicts extraordinaire, and she purposefully was not watching some of her discs because she is about 2 years from retirement and wants to be able to enjoy them unwatched then.
    But something has happened to curtail both her enthusiasm for stacking her discs for later viewing and mine --defective discs or sets.
    She recently purchased The Return of Sherlock Holmes Collection from MPI media through DDD. She went ahead and watched it quickly, cause she was just "in the mood". I got a call from her tonight, asking me where the bonus features mentioned on the cover were, or how to access them (she knew I already had this collection.) Turns out, some of those discs did not have the bonus features on them (?--!!) After seeing a similar comment in the reviews section of amazon for this collection, we realized it was a problem not only her disc had, so she called the company. The bonus features appear on only the first disc, yet they wanted her to go to the trouble of sending that disc back (with no proof for her of her having sent it unless she went to the trouble of sending it registered mail). My sister is a severe asthmatic, and doesn't get out much, so for her, this is a problem. They acknowledged the blame, even to saying that "they thought they had recalled all those discs!" but they wouldn't just send another copy of that first disc. The fault was theirs, but they couldn't do what was easiest for the customer to make it right. How much could that disc have cost them?

Now, basically the same thing happened with her PD James Dagleish collection--only this time they had 2 of one of the discs and none of the second disc. This was Koch ( I think). Anyway, they said that they had checked and had accidentally sent this out to many of their distributers (DDDVD being one, where we buy from.) Koch made good and just sent her the missing disc.

But my point is, this is twice in just a couple of months there has been a problem.

Buying them and shelving them unwatched is losing its appeal for us.

2. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

I have plenty of unwatched discs too. Not nearly in the range of some people in this thread (some of you have more unwatched DVD's than I have total DVD's period!).

Sometimes I buy a film and put off watching it because I like the idea that it's always there to be watched sometime. So if I watch it immediately, some of that thrill is gone for some reason. Kind of hard to explain I guess.

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    ?? Is that when you follow the links on those pages further? Or do we see different figures?

To me it says on those pages:
    5 used & new available from $9.99 (on the US site),
    (1) New from CDN$ 14.50 (on the Canadian site).

But perhaps it ain't so....

(OK, I'll put my copy in an even safer place now [​IMG] - it's a snapper, BTW.)

Cees

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Patty,

Although I have a large number of unwatched DVDs, within the first 24 hours of purchasing them, I will take them out of their shrink wrap and scan them to see if the disc plays okay and everything is intact that the disc promises.

I know a lot of people leave them in their shrinkwrap and unopened until it's time to watch them but a lot of stores won't take it back after a certain time and how many peeple keep their receipts. I purchased a copy of Viva Maria (the Louis Malle western) and though I haven't watched it yet I'm glad I opened it because there was NO disc in it! What if I had opened the disc 9 months from now and then found no disc in it?

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Nope. We're seeing the same things. You've just got to go one step further.

The line you quote above is a workable link and will take you to the vendors who are selling the title.

There is one vendor selling the title for $9.99. That vendor is upfront that the version he/she is selling is an IMPORT (probably the Region 0 Japanese import that is cluttering up eBay right now). The others listed claim to have copies of the original US release and are selling it for $189, $199 and up.

Change the combination on your safe. [​IMG]

6. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I know this has been said before, but I don't feel like quite an idiot anymore. Over the summer, I tried to weed through things I had only watched once or never and just got rid of them. Of course, now I have new stuff I haven't even thought about watching yet...

I am making progress, though, since I've plowed through the first discs of He-Man, Simpsons S7, Superman V2 and the entire He-Man/She-Ra Christmas Special. But that still leaves disc 2's and too many movies...

My name is Jason and I am a DVD addict...who currently has no place to put his movies.

7. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Yup.. I have only 20 or so.... movies..but the tv sets...good god... Lots.. But I don't plan on watching those for awhile......................

R~

8. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

Not only do I have DVDs I have not watched or opened...but I have laser discs and VHS tapes I have not unwrapped yet.

Fortunately last February I finally discovered EBAY, so now I watch quite a few old films with the underlying purpose of selling them (The Mask of Fu Manchu, The Opposite Sex, Dames). So for me EBAY has worked as a wonderful incentive, as I do now watch more films.

The only "problem" is too many of those films I rather liked and want to keep (The Miniver Story, Plymouth Adventure, Air Force), so they never end up on EBAY!

9. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

I have really slowed down my DVD purchases in lieu of renting them from NetFlix. Why buy them when I can log on to my computer, queue the movie, and have it delivered in a matter of a day or two?

10. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Uh, because the time may come that for one reason or another (e.g., copyright lawsuit), that film you really love may no longer be available to rent from Netflix.