What's new

Am I the only one buying DVDs faster than I can watch them? (1 Viewer)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I have plenty of unwatched discs too. Not nearly in the range of some people in this thread (some of you have more unwatched DVD's than I have total DVD's period!).

Sometimes I buy a film and put off watching it because I like the idea that it's always there to be watched sometime. So if I watch it immediately, some of that thrill is gone for some reason. Kind of hard to explain I guess.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
?? Is that when you follow the links on those pages further? Or do we see different figures?

To me it says on those pages:
5 used & new available from $9.99 (on the US site),
(1) New from CDN$ 14.50 (on the Canadian site).

But perhaps it ain't so....

(OK, I'll put my copy in an even safer place now :) - it's a snapper, BTW.)

Cees

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Patty,

Although I have a large number of unwatched DVDs, within the first 24 hours of purchasing them, I will take them out of their shrink wrap and scan them to see if the disc plays okay and everything is intact that the disc promises.

I know a lot of people leave them in their shrinkwrap and unopened until it's time to watch them but a lot of stores won't take it back after a certain time and how many peeple keep their receipts. I purchased a copy of Viva Maria (the Louis Malle western) and though I haven't watched it yet I'm glad I opened it because there was NO disc in it! What if I had opened the disc 9 months from now and then found no disc in it?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Nope. We're seeing the same things. You've just got to go one step further.

The line you quote above is a workable link and will take you to the vendors who are selling the title.

There is one vendor selling the title for $9.99. That vendor is upfront that the version he/she is selling is an IMPORT (probably the Region 0 Japanese import that is cluttering up eBay right now). The others listed claim to have copies of the original US release and are selling it for $189, $199 and up.

Change the combination on your safe. ;)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I know this has been said before, but I don't feel like quite an idiot anymore. Over the summer, I tried to weed through things I had only watched once or never and just got rid of them. Of course, now I have new stuff I haven't even thought about watching yet...

I am making progress, though, since I've plowed through the first discs of He-Man, Simpsons S7, Superman V2 and the entire He-Man/She-Ra Christmas Special. But that still leaves disc 2's and too many movies...

My name is Jason and I am a DVD addict...who currently has no place to put his movies.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Yup.. I have only 20 or so.... movies..but the tv sets...good god... Lots.. But I don't plan on watching those for awhile......................

R~

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Not only do I have DVDs I have not watched or opened...but I have laser discs and VHS tapes I have not unwrapped yet.

Fortunately last February I finally discovered EBAY, so now I watch quite a few old films with the underlying purpose of selling them (The Mask of Fu Manchu, The Opposite Sex, Dames). So for me EBAY has worked as a wonderful incentive, as I do now watch more films.

The only "problem" is too many of those films I rather liked and want to keep (The Miniver Story, Plymouth Adventure, Air Force), so they never end up on EBAY!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I have really slowed down my DVD purchases in lieu of renting them from NetFlix. Why buy them when I can log on to my computer, queue the movie, and have it delivered in a matter of a day or two?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Uh, because the time may come that for one reason or another (e.g., copyright lawsuit), that film you really love may no longer be available to rent from Netflix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks