What's new

am i nuts to do this? (1 Viewer)

sweet dick willie

Auditioning
Real Name
Dick
hello all - first post here.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

i'm looking to replace my several year old yamaha htr-5460. i've been looking at all sorts of stuff from denon to newer yamaha's. i've also been looking at NAD stuff as i've always been a fan of theirs. i used to have several of their amps and cd players through the years.

anyway, i found a t762 for fairly cheap($275) and am wondering if i want to replace my current yamaha with it. it seems like a great deal but on the flipside i can't help but wonder if i'm pretty much trading apples for apples. in other words, i'm not going to get any newer technology by getting the NAD.

thoughts? recommendations?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum Dick.

Everyone goes for what is important to them, but if I were buying a new AVR, I’d make sure that it had several HDMI inputs and could decode the new, BD audio formats.

sweet dick willie

Auditioning
Real Name
Dick
well that's just it - it wouldn't be a new receiver. it's several years old just like my current yamaha is.

i have no doubt that the NAD would blow the yamaha out of the water on sound and loudness potential but i'm not sure about sound fields and other features. i guess hearing from t762 owners would be ideal.

thanks

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the HTF, Dick!

You would have increased the likelihood of that by including the model name in the title of the thread. Generic titles such as "am I nuts to do this?" or "You're not going to believe this!" are generally discouraged because they don't work that well. The more specific...the better.

There are tons of people here, though, with expertise that are more than glad to help you out.

See you around! :emoji_thumbsup:

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
YMMV with the 762, but...

I just decided to replace my 762 after 5 years because it inexplicably stopped working properly with regard to movie soundtracks. The problem started with HD DVD, but then I realized it had more to do with the receiver than with the format when standard DVDs (digital optical connection) and my X-box 360 (connected via analog) wouldn't work either.

The effort and the cost involved in just ascertaining the problem (before even thinking about fixing it) were prohibitive enough that I gave up on it and decided to get something that can do the newer HD audio formats. I found a great deal on a Pioneer Elite VSX-91TXH and have been enjoying it for 3 weeks now. I actually find that I like the sound of it better than the NAD (especially for movies, even with standard Dolby and DTS).

Physically, the 762 is built like an Abrams tank, but it was also known for having issues (not all dealbreakers, as I bought it knowing the problems with this model) right out of the box. I encountered a few of them (fan noise, audio from different sources available on multiple inputs) but still enjoyed owning it. The sound was truly great, but the fact that I only got 5 years of use out of it for the money I spent made me leery of trusting a repair to be effective (and long-lasting), or even trusting a newer NAD model for a replacement. Its the main reason why I decided to switch to another brand and lower price range.

Given its apparent age, and that cheap price, I'd be suspicious of buying that 762. Is it a refurb? Is it used? New? I'd find it hard to believe if it was a brand new, factory-sealed unit at that price.

If you have the itch to replace your Yammie, IMHO, you're better off going with a new receiver that has HDMI, Dolby True HD, etc., etc. -- the other reason behind my decision to replace instead of repair.

Users who are viewing this thread