Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Since updating my Toshiba firmware to 2.0 a few weeks back
I noticed something....

If I turn my player off in the middle of a movie and then back
on a few hours later, it actually goes back to the point where
I left off.

Originally I thought that the Tosh did not do this.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hmmm, that's something I never considered.

It is with sDVD, come to think of it.

Is this why I am getting the auto-resumes? I just figured
the player didn't do it...period.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Is this strictly for DVDs that are still in the player, or will it resume on an SD-DVD that has been removed and reinserted?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have allways been able to resume play on a SD-DVD on the HD-A1. And have not been able to do that with any HD-DVD discs. I think you may have been resuming play on SD-DVD's there Ron. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
SD DVD resume on the HD-A1 will not work with discs that have been removed from the player.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
My A1 does resume play with my homemade HD DVDs (using regular DVD blanks). I think the lack of resume play has to do w/the authoring of commercial HD DVDs to date.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
That is one of my pet peaves with the HD-A1 is that if I mess up and hit the stop button. I can not hit the play button and have it resume when watching HD-DVD movies. That is something I exspected to have fixed with ver 2.0.

Real Name
Jeff Durboow
how is 2.0 working for you Ron..still haven't jumped the fence on that one. and Batman Begins is staring at me to update to hear it in TRUHD

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
It is not fixable, since the Resume Play feature stupidly was made part of the HD DVD spec as an optional software-dependent flag. The studios refuse, for some misbegotten reason, to set the flag to On, and the authoring software for HD DVD has it set to Off by default. :angry: :angry: :angry: It is the one thing that annoys me most about the format, and it can't be remedied without either the studios getting wise that it's very annoying, or the spec changing (good luck with that). :angry: :angry: :angry:

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Agreed. But, you can at least save bookmarks on several HD-DVDs, especially Warner's. The bookmarks are still there when you stop or take out the disc & re-insert it later.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey JeffdDurborow,

I have used the ver 2.0 update and it works great. I would not put it off any longer as it does not take much time for it to update. If it hickups the first time you power it up just turn it off and turn it back on and no worries. I only had it seem like it was hanging up a bit at first after I installed it and I just shut it off and powered back up and have never had a problem since. I beleive it was because I installed the version I installed off the net. But after reinstalling of the Toshiba disc everything was fine.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Installed the 2.0 recently too and after a "re-boot" if you will....plays flawlessly with no issues. Unreal. I love this baby. :)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
While reviewing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I discovered that bookmarking is disabled when you're running through the In-Movie Experience. So you had better be prepared to sit through the whole thing, start to finish, because when I tried skipping chapters in it the player locked up completely and I had to unplug it. Very obnoxious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks