Am I hurting my speakers?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by tmartin316, Mar 5, 2010.

1. tmartin316

tmartin316 Auditioning

I like to think that I'm not a noob in home theatre, but I really probably am. I feel like I have pretty decent speakers, but I don't know much about the power side of things, so I'm always worried that I don't have the right hardware to suit my speakers. Given my setup below, am I hurting my speakers? Do I need an amp/preamp/better receiver/something else? Setup:
    Also, since I plan to get a subwoofer at some point in the future, will the answers to the questions above change? Will I need new/different hardware at that point? I really appreciate anyone's feedback! Thanks!

2. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    You're good. The 604 puts out less than 90 watts, your speakers can handle more than that. They are all 8ohm. You are also set for the subwoofer.

Looks like you have a very nice setup. Add a good sub and be really blown away.

3. tmartin316

tmartin316 Auditioning

Thanks for all the great info! Yea, I love my speakers, I just really need to get that sub. Not sure what kind I'll spring for, maybe one of the paradigms to have a complete set - or maybe just something cheaper to get the job done.

It's good to hear that I'm not delivering too much power to my speakers, but I was also worried that I wasn't delivering enough. Is that an actual problem? Can I damage the speakers by turning it up and not delivering them enough power? Since the 604 puts out less than 90 watts (is that per speaker?), should I be careful with how high I turn up the volume?

Thanks again!

4. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce
    You can damage your speakers with not enough power due to distortion. If it still sounds clean you're probably fine.

5. David Willow

Supporter

Dave
    FYI - When you look for a sub be sure to check out internet direct companies like SVS and ED. You will get more for your money.

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I thought this myth had died years ago. http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/stable/tech/A2420_Some_Facts.pdf

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Robert, you may wish to cite a more reputable source when trying to dispell audio myths.

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It may be hosted on Monster's site, but it was written by Richard Clark. If you aren't familiar with him, Google is your friend. But he has done some work with Tom Nousaine

9. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I thought this myth had died years ago.

There's this from
    Alan Lofft, Former editor of Sound & Vision and Audio Magazines:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/receivers.html

The rated power output of the receiver's internal amplifiers, stated in watts per channel into 8 ohms, will ultimately determine the unit's selling price. ... Don't scrimp on the power: the greatest source of damage to speakers is using too small amplifiers to drive speakers at high volumes, especially when you might "crank it up" at a party. The amp runs out of watts, distorts, and the distorted signal burns out tweeters or woofers in seconds. And one basic truth most consumers do not understand when they are shopping for amps and speakers: smaller speakers generally require more power-not less-to produce realistic volume levels than big speakers do because they use smaller woofers and are less efficient.

10. tmartin316

tmartin316 Auditioning

Thanks everyone - so does the TX-SR604 have enough power for me to not worry about that? Would I benefit from adding an amp or something so I could worry *less* about it (especially when I add a sub into the mix)?

11. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The TX is fine.

The rest of us are just discussing the finer points of distortion. At least Richard Clark explained WHY distortion doesn't kill speakers. Alan Lofft is just restating the myth.

12. David Willow

Supporter

Dave
    Don't believe everything Alan Lofft states. I've had a few "discussions" with him on the Axiom forums. Once he gets an idea in his head, he stays with it no matter what the evidence suggests. Ask him about modern auto EQ systems, for example.

13. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    Yeah, kind of forgot about you there didn't we? I agree with the others that the SR604 is fine. (Removed sub comment.)

I don't claim to be an expert, so I don't have anything personal to add. But even the Monster hosted Richard Clark article says this:

Richard Clark:
    Prevention
    It is sometimes claimed that a good way to prevent speaker damage is to use a larger amp. This is true
    only if you don't turn the larger amp up until you exceed the average power to the speaker. ...

And yes, I do judge by the company you keep. So I can't allow myself to use that article alone to sway me.

14. tmartin316

tmartin316 Auditioning

Haha no problem Al Anderson. Thanks everybody, I feel much more comfortable now that I am not hurting anything. I'll definitely check out those sites (SVS and ED) when it comes time to buy my sub.