What's new

am a new svs sub owner (1 Viewer)

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

Just want to say that I just finished ordering the SVS 20-39PCi model. I can't wait to hook it up to my Yamaha RXV-1400 receiver. So guys, please tell me what things I need to configure in my Yamaha receiver to get the best possible sound. If possible, can you say it in steps? :)

Thanks.

Neil

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
That's just too bad... My DIY Tempest sub will kill your SVS for half of the price... Good thing you still have some waiting time to think about it...

:D :D :D :D :D

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator

Just messing w/ him :D

Ronniel, still though think about it... Money wise, DIY subs are just can't be beat :D

terence

Supporting Actor

To some this is the case, but to others who don't have the time, tools, skills, patience and etc to deal with DIY projects. They rather go a different route, not to take anything from DIY fans. There is a lot of value/performance on all scales in the DIY world. Some people feel more relax buying from a company, it just comes to what you like "To each his/her own" when it comes to this hobby. :)

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
I'd rather believe in audio experts than what myself can do. :) It's not my forte. I am just a small creature crawling on earth and wants to be one those creatures that praises someone's great invention.

Terence,

I will try to follow the steps you've mentioned on your post. I will go over my Yamaha manual tonight and hopefully, my RXV-1400 will support what you have mentioned.

Hopefully, my sub will arrive tomorrow.

Thanks.

Neil

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator

I would not change my decision about SVS. But I can try your DIY Tempest sub to my other room. Do you have link or screenshot or review?

Thanks.

Neil

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Alex, Before you get too cocky, A Denali with the Tumult and twin 18 inch Passive Radiators has a cost of parts of $1050 and you still have to build the enclosure.

The SVS PB2+ exceeds it by 4-5 dB from 16 Hz and up... for $1198 complete.

Looking at Adire's site, a Tempest is $150, and a 270 Watt amp is $179... That is $329. And you still need an enclosure, mounting hardware... etc...

It would be interesting for you to post all the necessary materials for a completed Tempest-based subwoofer, you game ?

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
I own 2 SVS 25-31 CS+'s and when I purchased them I was blown away by the results. SVS does make a wonderful product and if you cannot build a sub then it's the way to go.

I started diving into DIY Home Theater subs (made many car sub boxes) and without a doubt you can get equal or better results.

My duel 4 Tempest sonotubes tuned to 18hz crush the 2 CS+'s. Of course it's 2 extra drivers and twice the power but that's why it's so diverse. The sky is the limit when you build your own. Next up 2 Tumults with 2000 watts 5 cubic feet (each) and tune to 18 Hz with 35 square inches of vent (say, 17.5" by 2") that was 51" long.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Ronneil,

Congrats on the sub purchase. What other speakers are you using for music and home theater with your Yamaha 1400?

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
I have Paradigms Atoms for my fronts. No centers and surround yet. That's my next target. :)

I love the Atoms. I have tried setting my Yamaha to 3db and the Atoms can still take it :) I don't know the limits though because it can go only as high as 85 watts

Thank you.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Ronneil,

Have you already heard an SVS before you bought one? If not, you're in for a real treat. :)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Is it just me, or does anyone else notice the DIYer's never come up with all the costs, nor any measurments, for these amazing bargain subwoofers ???

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
The enclosure for just about any sub built is approx. $75CAN...$200 for Tempest driver and another $210 for a 250w amp. Total $485CAN...
Check out this site and scroll down until you see "Vented 214 liter kit". He shows the output of the Tempest.

BTW The less costly Adire driver(Tempest or Shiva) are just the beginner drivers, next comes Adire's Tumult.Tempest Output Chart

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Craig,

Good point. I have (2) Shiva-based D.I.Y. subs which I am totally enjoying right now. However, let me elaborate a bit.

- MDF was hauled to my house via a rental truck from Home Depot because I needed approximately 12 sheets of MDF for another work project I was working on.
- At the time I had to cut the MDF, the weather outside featured lots of snow, so I had to make the cuts inside my garage.
- MDF dust was everywhere. Including the work projects, I had to clean my garage by sweeping the floor daily. The final cleaning involved nearly a day's worth of work by taking out almost everything from my garage so I could connect the leaf blower to get rid of all the MDF dust that took my garage hostage.
- After building (2) 85L cabinets, I realized that they were too big and my wife would not care for a pair of them in our family room.
- I had to purchase a pro audio amp that could drive both of my subs.
- The damn cooling fans for the pro audio amp are a bit too loud; A modification is in order to quiet them down a bit.
- I then planned to revise my plans and build some small cabinets (approx. 54L in size.)
- I wasn't happy with the way my Makita circular saw cut the MDF and my Delta table saw couldn't cut widths greater than 11".
- I had to buy a new Craftsman table saw that could rip 24" wide cuts.
- I desired a slight "round-over" on my cabinets. Home Depot only wanted $18.00 for this bit.
- I spent my time building some fine cabinets and finishing them off in a good manner.
- My wife stil questioned me as to where I would be placing the subs as a final resting spot.
- After exerting so much energy into building the subs, I really don't have too much extra energy to properly mount my pro audio amp on my audio shelf. I also don't have the energy to conceal the speaker wires leading to my subs, so I look at the cables on a daily basis.

Oh, I'm quite happy with my "D.I.Y" subs. However, the process of building them did consume a bit of time and the mess that was made was a bit more than expected.

If you are an individual who looks to work with tools and wood and you have a fair amount of free time to devote to a hobby, then, by all means, go the D.I.Y. route.

However, if you have very limited time, tools or working areas to make such a project, then consider a sub from the Internet-only type of vendors who offer an amazing value for what they charge.

For me, this is kind of becoming like personal computers. 8 or 9 years ago, one could build a personal computer for hundreds if not a thousand less than some of the bigger manufacturers. Nowadays, if you include the operating system software, you'd lose money by building your own computer vs. purchasing it from a company such as Dell. I guess I keep seeing lots of competition through 2004.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Dean - Thanks for the reply, but as I stated above, I have a Denali now. That is a Tumult, twin Passive Radiators... etc... I am very familiar with Kyle's stuff... The cheapest Tempest kit is $470 US... An SVS 25-31 PCi is $549...

I think if a guy wants to build a subwoofer, that is wonderful. But every post I have ever seen talks about the huge money savings, and thus far I have yet to see these savings.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator

Hi George_W_K,

Honestly, I have never heard any SVS subwoofer yet. From what I have seen on the other threads in this forum about SVS subs, I know, I won't get disappointed.

Blesseth art thou who haven't hear, yet believe!!!

hehehe...

Ronneil

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
rofl... you guys are too funny... I'm just playing around :D Go easy and don't be so sensitive... I know SV Subs are the best bang of the buck subs... Totally understand why people choose SVS route and why I choose DIY route... Can the brotha take a joke here??? :D Perhaps admins here might consider open another forum, calling it "You mess w/ me, you mess w/ my family -SVS brothas-" :D***Peace***:D

Alex,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks