What's new

Almost done with Star Trek Voyager (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Voyager over Next Gen and TOS?

Voyager had it's good points but the negative thing about it was the lack of character development.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why so many trekkies hate Voyager. I watched around twenty episodes on Spike(and enjoyed them) so I picked up the complete series set a few weeks ago, and I'm halfway through season 1. I have to say that I reallly like this show.

Now, The only series of Trek I've watched all the way through is the original series. As it stands, I'm 3 seasons into Next Generation, 2 seasons into DS9, and I haven't checked an episode of Enterprise that I've liked yet. So here is my order of favorites so far:

1. Next Generation

2. Original Series

3. DS9

4. Voyager

Voyager is at the bottom of my list, but that isn't a bad thing, because in my opinion most Trek is escapist tv at it's finest. Sooner or later i'll get to Enterprise.

Also, a while back on Spike I caught a 2 parter of Voyager starring Sarah Silverman!! ...?...
Really weird seeing her on there, because I kept waiting for her to say something completely twisted, but there she was as a real actor on Star Trek. Kind of funny in itself.

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
1) TOS - This show looks awesome on DVD
2) DS9- The update of Star Trek that really got it right
3) TNG- Just a little too PC
HUGE DROPOFF
4) Enterprise- at least a different look and vibe but doesn't feel like Star Trek until Season 4.
5) Voyager- combines the worst elements of DS9 and TNG with the dumbest premise of any Star Trek show. I didn't hate Voyger, but I didn't like it either.Voyager and Enterprise are bogged down by too many what ifs and should have beens.
By the way, how was Hoshi on Enterprise a rip-off of Kara Thrace?

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

I'm almost done with TOS, tho there are some key S3 episodes that I have seen before, just not on DVD especially with my new TV/DVD player set up. Am about halfway through S3 of ``Voyager'' and what I've seen thus far is a pretty decent series. Yes, some episodes are really shaky, but you could also say that about some of the TOS S3 eps, too. As for Enterprise, after having shelled out a fair amount of money to buy some new and some used Voyager sets to complete the series, I'll hold off on this one. Don't ever see myself buying DS9 as it never grabbed me when it aired.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Voyager - well for me it was very much a "meh". It had some terrifically good episodes such a Year of Hell. But sadly counterbalanced against that was the dreadful saccharine sweetness of it all. I think the biggest spoiler of all was the way that the Maquis all jumped into their Starfleet uniforms with indecent haste. Aside from "Learning Curve" (one of the most dire episodes), hardly anything is made of the possible conflicts - there was enormous potential for development there for character episodes, they could even have done a mutiny or Maquis takeover with the ship running on NON-StarFleet terms for a while, which would have added much interest.

But instead, they were more interested in Neelix's recipes, mucking around in the holodeck and the doctor. The characters were all extremely shallow and predictable; you knew what would happen. Most of the crew were superperfluous since Janeway apparently knew more about everything than they did anyway (with the absurd situations where she ended up operating in sickbay and the like). Tuvok was a sort of annoying Spock-Lite but without any of the character that made Spock interesting, and all Chakotay was interested in was being a good little StarFleeter with homilies about "his people".

Equinox was a good example of where they *could* have gone, but didn't.

And as for the Borg - well, what can you say about a series that turns the most feared, most implacable, virtually undefeatable series enemy into something whose appearance merely prompts one to say "oh but Janeway will just reconfigure the warpfield flow thingy and that will fix it".

Aside from a few decent episodes you never really got the feeling that they were ever at any risk, and the characters were all far far too good to be true. Oh except the crew member who turned out to be a murderer.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Because in the single worst episode of the show, the Observer Effect, they had her give her back story, and the main thing was that her career was stalled because she organized illegal card games that were so popular that her commanding officer attended, and she ended up striking him. Just like Kara in the mini-series. :laugh: Yeah, that makes a *lot* of sense for Hoshi! She was so traumatized, she became the meek and docile creature we met at the start of the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks