What's new

'Allo 'Allo! 30th Anniversary? (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
BobO'Link said:
That's it... *tease* us with releases that are either R2 only or incomplete in R1. :P I'm a huge fan of British series, especially comedy and frequently lament that there are wonderful British series that just got abandoned after US releases of a series or two. I chalk quite a bit of that up to the somewhat inflated prices, typically 2-3 times more than a comparable US series, on most British series.
I just can't bring myself to purchase R2 releases. I fear that as soon as I make the plunge my hacked player will die and there'll be nothing at a "reasonable" price to replace it so I'll be "stuck" with content I can't watch. :(
Oh, I don't think you'd have to worry about a region-free DVD player being too hard (or expensive) to come by if yours gives up the ghost. I see Philips machines for $15-20 at pawn shops all the time, and my Oppo Blu-Ray is easily rendered region-free for DVD (either with the hardware mod that also works for BR discs or the software SuperDisk hack if all you need is DVD unlocking).
I can't bring myself to be limited to R1 just on the off chance a player dies. They're too easily replaced, and for me, the lower cost of many of the R2 titles compared to their R1 cousins more than offsets any hardware replacement cost replacement cost (for example, One Foot in the Grave: R1 is about $60, on sale, while the R2 version is roughly the equivalent of $28!).

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
you ca also easily watch R2 DVDs on your computer ith vlc and kmplayer so if your dvd player dies you can get the equipment to hook your pc to your tv.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I agree that the number one reason to buy a lot of these region two releases is the price. I just bought the complete series of All Creatures Great and Small in Region 2 for around $75 shipped compare that to the $250 price of the Region 1 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks