What's new

ALLIGATOR ('79) & ALIEN FROM THE DEEP Coming To DVD (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
ALLIGATOR (THE GREAT ALLIGATOR) came out a few years ago from No Shame under the title, THE BIG ALLIGATOR RIVER. Mya Communication is putting it out this time under the title, ALLIGATOR, on January 25th. ALIEN FROM THE DEEP, coming from One 7 Movies, which is connected to Mya, is coming out on January 11th.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Ah, CAV distributing is a new company that will be putting out genre stuff. Since we haven't seen any of their product yet, I'm all about waiting for some reviews.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I don't want to flat out call them a bootleg company but I think they're going to be like a couple others who are using certain loopholes around the rights to release these. I'm going to wait for the reviews as well but there are rumors going around that they're connected with a certain other company and they're not buying rights either.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
If this film was shot 1.66 like most late-80's Italian movies were then I don't have a problem with them releasing it fullscreen since there's not a whole lot of information lost. An ideal release would be for this to be shown in its OAR but I'm thinking they don't have the proper elements, which brings me to question why they're charging so much. The plot sounds interesting enough that I may actually splurge for this.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Aren't the Italians more apt to put their flicks in 2.35:1? Or, is that just my own twisted logic at work? Anyhow, regardless, I've always been curious about this flick, it never aired in my area, and I'd like to check it out, if it weren't for that damn hefty price tag.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Mya Communication is now planning on releasing ALLIGATOR, the, Italian, '79 version we all know as THE GREAT ALLIGATOR. I reconfigured the opening post to highlight htis new information. Artwork has also been provided.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
THE GREAT ALLIGATOR RIVER has already had a legit version released so it's interesting to see Mya now putting out a version.

Mya and their head scratching releases and now putting out legit stuff under "new" titles, which makes little sense to me but I guess people keep putting down $30 for their questionable titles.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
ALLIGATOR is more affordable; Amazon's got it for $17.99. ALIEN FROM THE DEEP, now the pricing on that one is ridiculous.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I already have No Shame's "Big Alligator River" version on DVD. Frankly, I think it's a big waste on Mya's part to re-release stuff that's already available. How about the Jaws ripoff? No one has touched that one since the Greek VHS bootleg days.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
THE LAST SHARK and GREAT WHITE would probably make for a nice release. I have a fairly good copy of each but CRUEL JAWS (aka JAWS 5) would be a major pain trying to release. I'm really not sure how well Universal is keeping up with things but I was told that a certain well known studio wanted to release the Mattei film and Universal was quick to put their foot down. The Mattei film is pure hack-fest as it contains lines of dialogue as well as footage from the Universal series so I'd say this one here would have a lot of trouble.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
No one can touch THE LAST SHARK in the U.S., which 30 years later is still under a legal cloud. I've seen it, and it makes ALLIGATOR look like PSYCHO or CHINATOWN. The YouTube clips show all the "best" parts. (Or am I confusing THE LAST SHARK with GREAT WHITE?)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
What movie am I thinking of? I never saw either, but I have a memory of seeing a trailer for something on TV, and the one scene that's burned into my mind is some guy falling off the side of a ship, or about to, and the camera is looking straight down into the water and you can see this humoungous shark, mouth open, about to surface. My gut says it's GREAT WHITE; is my gut wrong?

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
GREAT WHITE and THE LAST SHARK are the same film.

Both THE LAST SHARK and CRUEL JAWS (JAWS 5) are available on import DVDs - and include the English tracks.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks for that correction, Jeff. I got my titles mixed up.

I was meaning to say MONSTER SHARK (aka DEVIL FISH) from Lamberto Bava instead of THE LAST SHARK again..

There's also DEEP BLOOD from Joe D'Amato, which might come from Mya since they've released quite a few of the directors films.

I've got those import discs and I think they're rather questionable and they're certainly better than some of the copies from TV floating around.

Shawn, I'm not sure which film it's from as I haven't seen any in a while but I can try and spot check at some point.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Elliott
Shawn, I'm not sure which film it's from as I haven't seen any in a while but I can try and spot check at some point.

Yeah, that would be great. I think I just about either have bought, or pinned down the title, of every horror flick that scarred me when I was a kid. There are still a few, I think, where I have only an image in my head, with no title, or actors, or anything to clue me in on what the movie is. That aforementioned image is one. And, for some reason, I wanna say it's GREAT WHITE. ALIEN 2: ON EARTH was another I had images of but no title, until a year or so ago when I started doing some research to pin it down. THE STRANGENESS is, yet, another, and EQUINOX.

But this possible GREAT WHITE scene is one I just can't label. Any help wouild be appreciated. The next steo, of course, after learning the title, is whether the movie is really any good. But first thing's first . . . I need that scene pinned down as best as possible.

Oh, yeah, now I remember another I can't title . . . now, I think this is a TV movie. All I remember is some creature covered in black mud, or slime, humanoid, and it was going around killing people. I rememeber a scene in the woods where everything was covered in back slime, even the dead bodies. I think it's some TV horror flick from the seventies, or real early eighties. Need that one pinned down, badly, because, I remember that scene scaring the shit out of me when I first saw it.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Wow...I didn't know there were so many shark-movie copycats. Jaws 5? Ha! Ya gotta love those Italians - always ripping movies off. I'd love to see that artwork turn up if it ever gets released legitimately, maybe it'll be one of those alternative reversible covers. If anything, Universal should be happy that they're calling it Jaws 5 - maybe it'll help sell copies of their own sequels. Anyway, speaking of acquatic adventures, has anyone seen Cyclone? it's pretty much a basic survival flick with a little bit of cannibalism thrown in. It's fairly enjoyable for what it is.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by SWFF

Quote:

Oh, yeah, now I remember another I can't title . . . now, I think this is a TV movie. All I remember is some creature covered in black mud, or slime, humanoid, and it was going around killing people. I rememeber a scene in the woods where everything was covered in back slime, even the dead bodies. I think it's some TV horror flick from the seventies, or real early eighties. Need that one pinned down, badly, because, I remember that scene scaring the shit out of me when I first saw it.

Shawn, I'm pretty sure this is what you are thinking of (THE WORLD BEYOND - 1978):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235068/

A great made-for-TV pilot that a lot of horror fans have been looking for for years. Granted, I also saw it as a kid when it first aired in '78, but my memories of it were that it was pretty creepy and disturbing for a TV movie. I think the only chance we ever see it might be if it makes it to one of the MOD programs one of these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks