What's new

All Things Godzilla (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I picked this up, and can confirm that it does indeed contain the same ancient transfer of the English cut of RODAN, with extremely weak sound. Are there no good elements left on this?

Luckily, the Japanese version looks and sounds a zillion times better, at least. Very nice to have that. And the American WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS looks specTACular! A joy to behold. Haven't watched the Japanese version yet.

The documentary is fantastic, BUT, due to improper authoring/flagging/encoding/whatever, it's herky-jerky-strobey, especially during the film clips. Pay close attention and you'll see that none of the pictorial transitions are smooth like they should be. This doesn't affect the stationary talking heads much, but it's really distracting during all the rest. It makes the film clips in particular look really bad. I wonder what happened there...?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I ordered this dual title last week. What is the release date?

I wanted it for "War of the Gargantuas," which I have waited years
to see on DVD. Does that film look fine on this release?

Depends on which version you watch. The dubbed version looks great. The Japanese version, for whatever reason, is much darker and slightly washed out.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

In the Southern California area this film was overplayed if anything back in the 70's. A local chanel KTLA(5) used to have one movie they would show a week straight everynight from Monday-Friday at 8:00 p.m. I got my 1st exposure to Godzilla vs. Monster Zero this way and War of the Gargantuas showed up numerous times as well. I would frequently get to see these movies two or three times in the same week. I must have seen War on T.V. at least 12 times back in the 70's.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
@Randy
I'm guessing I've seen it and forgot. I mean, I was a fan of Ultraman in the early 70s because we lived near Atlanta and WTBS Channel 17. Ted loved this stuff! :D Those big dudes do look kind of sort of familiar....

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else found this hard to get. Went to CC didn't have it, went to BB and they had one left. Be surprised how many people were waiting for this I guest. I'll pop it in tonite.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would stick with the dubbed version if the Japanese version
quality is worse. However, how much extra material is on the
Japanese version and is it anything substantial I would miss?

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
The American version has some alternate footage, including more scenes with Tamblyn. I'm not sure exactly what, as I've never seen the Japanese version, and have yet to watch it on this release. Also, it's got Tamblyn doing his own dubbing...yes, he had to dub his English into English because apparently the on-set dialogue recording was lost or damaged before the postproduction phase began.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
The most grievous thing re: the American cut of Gargantuas is the terrific Ikira Ifukube score has largely been replaced with stock music that's played over and over. Other than that (and the dubbing, of course) not a big difference.

Actually the only piece from Ifukube's score that was replaced the excellent march (which was itself played over and over, to the point I was ready to start hurling furniture at the speakers by the end). Everything else is the same.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Enjoyed WOtG a great deal, (3x watched), and the picture is really a good picture. Now Rodan, that's a different story, but the fact it's on DVD it's a bonus. I haven't seen this movie in so long I completely forgot: the opening with the giant octopus and the boat
Certainly will go as one of the frequently viewed DVDs with me.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

Wait until you watch the Japanese version of WOTG. The whole movie is one big edge enhancement. The most glaring is the one running horizonally on top of the picture under the black bar!

Most all the reds have vertical lines in them. The pic is dark and, like what Jim Peavy said, it looks sqeezed in some spots.

Now, the US version looks super. Just watched a few minutes of it and it's night and day with the Japanese.

We sure got screwed on these DVDs and what's sad is, we'll probably never see them again in our lifetime!!!

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I picked up the Rodan/WOTG but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing the documentary. I've been ordering all of other Godzilla titles from the 50s through the 70s recently,that I don't already own, from Amazon. They have been on sale for $8.49 each. Not sure if I will buy the later movies. I do wish Megalon was available though.

My nephews, both under 10, are just starting to get into these movies. Every time they come over to visit, they ask to watch them. Their favourites are Godzilla's Revenge (only shown them the English version), Terror of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla Vs Gigan and Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla. I haven't shown them Godzilla: King of the Monsters, not sure if it is too scary for them.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know anything about the new King Kong vs Godzilla that just came out today: http://www.amazon.com/King-Kong-Godzilla-Ichiro-Arishima/dp/B000P24FAE/ref=sr_1_96?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1253031032&sr=1-96

Anything new about it, or is it just a single disc reissue of that Kong vs G/Kong Escapes two pack from a couple of years ago?

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Well, King Kong Escapes is released today as well, so I presume they are merely reissues of the original release. Even the cover art looks the same.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Considering the two pack has been floating around Big Lots for under ten bucks, (I just got around to watching the copy I bought there recently) this seems an odd time for a reissue.

Is it just coincidence the main villain in King Kong Escapes is named Doctor Who?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The word out is that the new US GOJIRA BR is crap. They just took the desperately in need of restoration transfer as was used on the then pretty good DVD, so that scratches and speckles and tears take on a whole new dimension in viewing pleasure;

However, it appears that TOHO have done the right thing based on one google translated pre-review ive read and restored it-one of their crown jewels; It is out this week, no english subs and will set you back about $60;
We do need a confirmation, anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks