ALL THINGS 'GODZILLA' ON DVD AND BLU-RAY!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JeffT., Feb 22, 2013.

1. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has (tentatively) scheduled for an April 01st, 2014 release a bluray edition of KING KONG VS. GODZILLA (1963) so from all the news-information that has been made known in this discussion forum it appears that some effort is (fittingly) being made to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the (now) legendary Godzilla.

It would great if some of the spectacular theatrical trailers dynamically promoting the film could be included as extras. Lately it seems that these companies are getting real lax in this.

[​IMG]

Jeff T.

:D

2. TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    These will be blu ray counterparts to the DVDs...oh well

3. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

What? Nobody's mentioned this:

www.dreadcentral.com/news/73510/kraken-releasing-godzillas-battles-smog-monster-sea-monster-and-gigan-blu-ray-summer
    Sounds like we're getting both the English and Japanese versions, too! So while I'll probably pass on the new Kong v G, these ones are a sure buy for me!

4. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Thanks Tony! This was mentioned earlier in the discussion thread but it never hurts to reaffirm great news.

As I (previously) said somehow I misplaced my standard DVD pressings so this comes as welcomed news indeed.

While I'm here Universal Studios Home Entertainment will also be releasing KING KONG ESCAPES (1968) in bluray on April 01st, 2014 as well. It unfortunate that it couldn't have been doubleteamed with KING KONG VS. GODZILLA (1963) in a two disc set once again.

Keep up the fine work and enjoy your blurays!

[​IMG]

Jeff T

5. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Yeah, but does G VS. SMOG MONSTER have the original AIP English dub (which I have on VHS) with the "Save the Earth" song or the inferior Toho-produced English dub which doesn't have that version of the song? That could be a deal maker or breaker for some of us.

6. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    Preordered these three but am not double dipping for the two Universals. If Universal gave both versions, of course we would all be double dipping. Since Universal did no restorations on these two, my SDs will do me just fine!

7. Tony J Case

Yeah, if the Kong v Godzilla had sported both versions, I'd have bought them in a hot second. Hell, even with some extras, I might have given the releases some serious thought. But untouched, as is releases? No thanks!

8. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    G vs Smog is just about guaranteed to be a rehash of the Sony release. There's been no word of Titra dubs showing up on any of these Kraken titles. Outside of the additional resolution, which has been questionable on the Toho BLUs released in Japan, don't expect anything that hasn't already been released for years now.

9. SWFF

SWFF Screenwriter

Shawn Francis
    Here's some news from the Kaiju & Tokusatsu On Video on Facebook. From various posters about the Section23 titles. :

"I received word today from Section23 that the upcoming Kraken Releasing DVD/BD will NOT contain the original American dubs. Toho was implied (but not outright stated) to be the reason why. Unfortunate news." (SOURCE)

"A bit more Kraken info: The subtitles for the films are "brand new". The trailers will also be subtitled. I'd asked if they'd include the Japanese 5.1 remixes but got no reply on that." (SOURCE)

10. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Good heavens! These are all Toronto-based movie theatres!

King Kong looks much better in the newspaper ads than he did in the poster advertising to be sure. No wonder I wanted to see this movie so badly!

I really wouldn't have expected Universal to release the Japanese version of KING KONG VS GODZILLA (1962) but surely Toho and various online Daikaiju media news services are well aware of the tremendous North American interest in it and some movement would be made to influence its stateside release.

It would have been (very) nice if some Godzilla experts could have been recruited to provide an audio commentary on the film...this is more in keeping with what practically could have been done.

For me the U.S. version gets off to a bad start with the main opening titles underscored by the lackluster theme music taken from the Universal Pictures produced THE GOLDEN HORDE (1951).

But as I (repeatedly) said before the Godzilla design in this film is awesomely superb (far and away outclassing the King Kong) and one of the finest incarnations in the early classic series.

Another weak aspect of this sensational confrontation (and it's not Universal's fault) is the poor rear projection screen work of the natives frantically chucking their spears at the marauding giant octopus with the spears' shadows clearly seen on the projection screen completely destroying the intended illusion.

I am assuming that Kraken will (further) get around to releasing in bluray GODZILLA VS THE SEA MONSTER (1966), SON OF GODZILLA (1967) and GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA (1974) sometime later in the year.

(Once again) thanks to everyone for the great information and your tremendous enthusiasm!

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

11. Tony J Case

Okay, question for you guys -

So I have the old Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Gojira release from a couple of years back, this one: [​IMG]

So Criterion has all their DVDs and Blu Rays on sale at 50% off until tomorrow and I have to admit that I'm tempted. How's the difference between the two? Are we losing extras? Gaining anything significant? Is it worth throwing 15 bucks at the new version?

12. Tony J Case

God damnit, Toho! Would you stop with the bullshit shenanigans like this. Withholding extras, denying dubs and other uncool stuff really just pisses the fans off. Just let them put together really nice, comprehensive packages of your flicks!

So I wonder how Classic Media was able to include both versions in their releases? Whos ring did they kiss that Kraken did not?

13. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Opinions may vary but the Criterion bluray version is considered the better (less visible wear-and-tear, more complete image scope and better sound quality) so it is really up to you to decide whether it is worth investing the additional money for it. I may have purchased mine cheaper but I would have to look up the purchase records to confirm this.

I didn't realize that GODZILLA VS THE SEA MONSTER (1966) was coming out on bluray by Kraken!

Anyway I placed my advance order putting my money where my mouth is.

Now when is the bluray version of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS (1968) coming out again?!

Happy collecting.

Jeff T.

14. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I'm glad I still have my DVD's of these.

15. Jari K

Jari K Producer

16. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    Not for nothing, but Toho is notoriously difficult to work with, however they can be worked with. The bottom line here is that Kraken isn't willing to put forth the effort so you get the bare-bones, pre-approved Toho release which is just a rehash of their transfer with the international dub thrown in. These will simply be the Sony DVDs with higher resolution. I'm not sure what complaining about Toho gets you when it's Kraken who won't be bothered. If Kraken wanted to include Titra dubs and other cool extras, they could have. It just would have taken more time and cost more money. Presumably too much of both for a company that just wants to cash in on the coming Godzilla wave.

17. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Oh my G-O-D-Z-I-L-L-A!

On May 06th, 2014 Sony Home Entertainment plans to release on bluray three Heisei (1984-1995) and Millennium (1999-2013) Era(s) megablockbuster doublebills:

GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA (1990)/GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA II (1993)

GODZILLA VS DESTROYAH (1995)/GODZILLA VS MEGAGUIRUS (2000)

and GODZILLA VS KING GHIDORAH (1991)/GODZILLA VS MOTHRA (1992).

Coming out the same month as the three Kraken bluray releases this is really going to prove costly for some.

Nothing like celebrating the 60th anniversary in a big way!

Jeff T.

18. TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    Its actually four sets - Godzilla Tokyo SOS and FInal Wars are coming also on a blu ray set

19. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA was 1974, not 1990. (And it was released in the U.S. in 1977 as GODZILLA VS. THE COSMIC MONSTER.) There was no 1990 Godzilla movie. The 1993 entry was actually called GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA also, but with the "II" added for its American release, for reasons that never made sense to me since it had nothing to do with the earlier MechaGodzilla film. Can anyone clarify if the 1974 film is indeed the one being paired with the 1993 film on this release? And where is SPACE GODZILLA (1994)?

(For the record, I don't remember liking the 1974 film at all. I'd hesitate on springing for that Blu-ray if that's the version contained on it.)

20. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Hopefully these blu-rays of the 1990's films are widescreen since the DVD's were not. I would definately upgrade if thats the case.