What's new

All these oldschool 70's/80's-esque rock bands... i like! (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
First it was The Hivesm the Strokes and the white stripes with their grungy, garagey-rock sound.

Now its The Darkness, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand... just to name a few... ive been listening to their albums SO often... they're just so awesome and so catchy with their oldschool sounds, the driving drums, guitars, synths.

Anybody also taking a liking to these bands and similar?

my current fav is most probably Hot Fuss by The Killers... I dont care that its played a lot on the radio (dont listen to it mcuh more anyways... no more hating a song coz they're overplayed :)), its just so damn catchy and good.

Then Franz Ferdinand... then The Darkness, prolly coz they came out earlier, and i listened to their CD way too much :)

Can anybody recommend me similar sounding bands, both "modern" and true "oldschool" rock bands?

Ike

Screenwriter
For the roots of bands like Franz Ferdinand (and some of the more stomping bands, like !!! and maybe The Rapture) I'd get the first two Gang of Four records (especially Entertainment!) and the first three Wire records. Gang of Four is stomping drums, clean bass, and weird guitar. Wire are short blasts of punk goodness, that on the later albums morphed into synth led experiments.

I'm not familiar with The Killers, but All Music says they are influenced by Television. Marquee Moon is one of my favorite records-it's just a beautiful guitar record, with out being overly showy or masturbatory.

As for current acts, I actually thought the Eagles of Death Metal record, aside from some shitty production (terrible guitar tones as compared to them live on Conan O'Brien), was pretty fun.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Nick,

Go get yourself the Joe Jackson Band's Volume 4. Best "revival" album ever; all the original four members of Joe's original band from 1977 reunited to make some old-school-style rock. This is the album all those other old farts "revitalizing" their careers have been trying to make. It will whisk you back to 1977 in a jiffy, and even though the musicians are in their 40s, they are fresher and more youthful than a lot of 20somethings in the biz now.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Nick, I'd check out Jet. They are a band with a heavy AC/DC and Beatles influence. Their album, Get Born, isn't extremely original or anything, but it's just plain fun to listen to it.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
Elefant, Les Savy Fav, The Faint, TV on the radio, The music, The cooper temple clause, Broken Social Scene, Longwave, Secret Machines, The Walkmen, Xiu Xiu, Yo La Tengo just to name a few =)

i saw the killers last sunday, they were awesome live, especially with their intro song Can't take my eyes off of you by Frankie Valli and the four seasons, with the lights off everybody started singing and swaying back and forth, the lights came on and they started playing Jennie was a friend of mine, PUURRFECCTTT

!!! is awesome too i saw them live at Coachella

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks