What's new

All The President's Men: Feb 21 See Post #34 (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I am fully aware of that. You will note that my final sentence has no question-mark and is therefore rhetorical. I was merely expressing my wonder at their prolific, high-quality, fairly priced output over the last year and ahead to next year. ;)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

On what basis do you make this statement?

I've never seen any statement made by anyone from WB or other studios to that effect.

Just curious...

TimJS

Second Unit

This was a press release? Thought it was an interview for a news story in USA Today.

Like it or not, and whether or not it is wholly appropriate, this is not the only film/dvd release pertaining to the past with 'issues' related to the present. The director of a doc on active duty resistance to the War in Vietnam told me recently that current events played a pivotal role in making his film. I assume the film's motivation and financing were dependent on current 'issues'. Don't know if current 'issues' are anything but a marketing angle for the ATPM SE, but it would be foolish to ignore that perspective.

Tim

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor

Yes, THAT is absolutely indispensable!

But I'm worried about the ATPM SE. Only Redford on the commentary? Why ONLY he? Woodstein and Bradlee have NOTHING to contribute? The film is justly lauded for achieving an impressive level of verisimilitude... but I really NEED to know how CLOSE it was -- scene by scene -- from the MEN themselves! Why not?!

I have always harbored a few doubts about the dramatic license taken with some aspects of behavior in the film, and I would love if the MEN themselves would confirm or deny it! Or even at least non-denial deny it!;)

If the film looks and sounds great, that's certainly enough for me to justify rebuying it. And I will! But I need the SE extras done RIGHT, dammit!:angry:

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
From what I remember of reading the book a few years back, the movie was very faithful to it, with the main difference being that they had to leave stuff out for length purposes (for instance, the book continues on after the '72 election, up until late '73/early '74, I believe). I don't recall any aspects of behavior that seemed to stand out as dramatic license on the filmmakers' part, though there might be some in there somewhere.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Looking forward to this one. Saw the movie in a journalism class I took a couple years ago, but never got around to buying the current disc (mainly because of rumors/expectations of a re-release). I'll be picking this one up in February.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor

I don't know any for sure myself. Just some very small doubts that I'd still like resolved.

For example, I never believed that Woodward would have spoken so crudely to his fellow reporter about the Canuck letter, "do you think he said he wrote it to get you to go to bed with him?" Of course, Woodward MIGHT have said it -- but I never quite thought of the real man's personality or style of reportage being so offensively blunt, especially with a colleague. I could be completely wrong, but at least how Woodward appears, he seems far less obviously aggressive, and I think that's how he's portrayed throughout the movie, excepting that one line. Bernstein is shown as more the bulldog.

It's just this kind of thing that I'm so VERY curious about.

Even little things too!

I want to KNOW for SURE whether Woodward REALLY said "I don't want a cookie"!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I read that Redford is preparing a sequel to The Candidate. My guess is that a new DVD of the first film will surface at the time of the new movie.

Real Name
Anthony
Not worth a new thread but zetaminor.com has just announced the R2 BEN HUR 4-disc, and the last paragraph says this :

The new edition of Ben-Hur will be released alongside Special Editions of six other Oscar-winning films: Dog Day Afternoon, All The President's Men, Ryan's Daughter, Mildred Pierce and Captain's Courageous (the latter two making their UK DVD debut). More details will follow.

DOG DAY AFTERNOON for February then ?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is just another heads up that those wanting this title can also purchase it as part of the Controversial Classics Volume 2. As stated in the "Dog Day Afternoon/Sidney Lumet" thread, you can buy the Special Editions of "Network", "Dog Day Afternoon" and "All the President's Men" in one boxset which is cheaper than purchasing them seperately. The only problem is that instead of purchasing the seperate "All the President's Men" on 02-21-06, you'll have to wait another week to purchase the boxset on 02-28-06.

http://www.lasersedge.com/item_detai...68469&tMedia=1

Crawdaddy

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yep, and the description says they are all Special Editions. Thats cool. Is Network a good movie ;) ... (jumping into flame suit!)...

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Is Dog Day Afternoon a good film?

I'm excited Warners is getting these out as Special Edition DVDs as well as ATPM & Network are going together in a boxset. Sure hope for a good sale price on release day for the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks