What's new

"All That Jazz" - Any news on a DVD release?? (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Columbia is very near depleting their popular

catalog titles. Fox is a studio with a very

small catalog base. Warner and MGM lead the pack

with catalog titles and they can afford to be

more gung-ho on their releases.
I wonder what will happen at that point.

Bot Columbia and Fox have lots of TV-on-DVD product they can release, of course. :wink:

However, I am sure that the Warners and MGMs will be pleased that more resources (replicating plants, authoring houses, distribution facilities, promotional item printers, etc.) are available once other studios have no need of them.

However, I also wonder whether studio cross-licensing will occur. I rather doubt it, but it's a possibility. "Hey WB, don't have time or resources avialable to release Adventures of Robin Hood? We'll do it for you, for a sizable cut of the profits!" But, again, I doubt that this will happen. That was the crux of the Universal/Columbia deal about foreign distribution, right? Uni decided to wait until the deal expired, rather than share the profits.

So instead, those studios with depleted catalogs will probably start pushing for the next set of upgrades. At first that will be "Super-Ultimate Editions" of previous releases. Next, they'll push for HD-DVD.

What are y'all's thoughts on all of that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks