What's new

ALL STUDIOS, we will not tolerate P & S only! (1 Viewer)

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I'm in. I also only get the OAR versions, and I only have a 27" set.:b
NO OAR = NO SALE, NO RENTAL

Mark Giesenhagen

Auditioning
I have two problems with studios releasing multiple version of the same film on DVD (one P&S and one Widescreen).

First of all, the film should be offered like it is shown in the theaters, period. The assumption that people want their (4x3) screen filled up is in error. The trend towards widescreen even exists today in network TV. NBC broadcasts ER with those black bars on the top and bottom. I bet most people don't even notice that they are there.

Secondly, releasing two editions of the same film on DVD is flat confusing. Some ill-informed retailers and movie rental companies only stock one edition. Unfortunately, they all too often choose the P&S version and not how the director intended the work to be viewed.

Studios, please offer DVDs of films as they are released in the theaters. If you have to do P&S, do not do it as a separate release; add it to the proper widescreen edition.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I've read a ton of threads about OAR vs Pan & Scam in other areas. We should all put our attention here since the discussion of OAR trancends any one title, studio, or retailer. I too paid dearly for OAR during the laserdisc era. I too was an early adoptor of DVD. I only have one DVD that is non-OAR (The Sting). Now its definately "No OAR-No Sale". Now if I can only get my hands on an affordable 16x9 TV so I can take advantage of anamorphic transfers.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Skerik

Auditioning
this may be the better way to get the attention of Blockbuster, they so far have shown no interest in listening to the complaints of those of us who put DVD on the map. We have the petition, but lets' try going to the studio, maybe they can force bb to realize the errors of its ways. I tried to contact Universal but their "contact page" doesn't let me send... nice thanks for the customer service!

this is what I tried to say:

I would like to inform you that your policy of making two separate editions of movies (Widescreen and Pan and Scam) are costing you rentals. Blockbuster has deemed themselves all knowing and have told me that if I want to rent movies that have been released in both formats, that I want to rent the pan and scan version. However, their assumption is far from correct. I want to, and will only, rent the widescreen version of movies. Blockbuster seems to ignore any input from its customers, so I go to you. I would suggest that you and other studios, either insist on Blockbuster and any other retail/rental place order both versions, or change your policy and put both widescreen and pan and scam (or widescreen only, as it should be, support your directors vision!!!) in one package. DVD was built on movie fans, I got into DVD because I could consistently get widescreen versions of movies, in my opinion the only way to view movies. I have bought over 100 dvd's in 3 years, I have rented a similar amount. I have also 75 laserdiscs, all widescreen. In 15 years of owning a vcr I have bought only 7 movies, half of which are widescreen, and very rarely rented. If Blockbuster doesn't respect your movies, and your directors, then you should. Release all films in Original Aspect Ratio (meaning the way it was in the theater, if it was an old Academy aspect ratio, then fine, I want to see it that way, if it is scope, I wanna see it that way.) If you wanna cater to the uneducated filmfan, fine, but don't allow others to dictate to me how I see my films.

thank you for your consideration. btw there is a petition forming on the internet that has over 7,000 signatures on it so far. This petition is against Blockbuster practices as I have outlined above. I am not alone in my feelings. Until they/you figure out how to release movies, I will not be renting from them, or your movies. It works both ways.

Chris Skerik

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Just found this thread (I never really check this section of the forum, came in by accident today :b ). I'll add my vote.
No OAR = No Sale
OAR is right. Widescreen is the future of television. Please stop chopping up our movies.

Clint B

Second Unit
I used to hate widescreen, because I never understood the point of the black bars. I thought I was missing out. Due to friends' efforts and sites like HTF, I have been educated that widescreen is the only way to watch most movies that have been released since the '50's. I'm relatively new to DVD (only about 15 so far), and I have a 27" TV set. However, the only DVD's that I have that are not in widescreen are The Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD and Citizen Kane. Neither of these were ever intended to be in widescreen, so I have no problem with these DVD's. But if a movie was shot in widescreen, I refuse to buy anything other than a widescreen/OAR DVD!! Studios, listen to the people who really care about movies and want to see them as the director wanted us to see them, and not with blinders on that will cut off the sides!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I can't believe we can't get more members to at least post a little positive comment in this thread!

C'mon there's got to be more members against the P&S ONLY abomination! We are not asking you to post as OAR extremists, just post your support against Pan and Scan ONLY DVD releases! Thank you.

NO OAR = NO SALE!

GinoA

Auditioning
NO OAR = NO SALE!!!

these works of art we call films need not be butchered to fit the un-enlighted majority...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
While a huge proponent of free choice with regards to Home Theater...I have not and will not purchase a P&S disc, for myself or as a gift. I will not rent one either. I have converted most of my family, and will continue to campaign to anyone who CHOOSES to listen.

Take care,

Chuck

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Well... since I rarely buy movies, I'll have to say NO OAR = NO RENTAL! :)
Really, it's depressing that P&S seems to be making its way into DVD in a big way. :frowning:
/Mike

Clint B

Second Unit
While I understand that old habits die hard for most people (I used to be very anti-widescreen until I understood it), the OAR really is the only way to watch a movie. Perhaps it would be beneficial to point out to J6P what was pointed out earlier--that widescreen is designed to more closely mimic our actual field of vision--therefore, widescreen is, by definition, more realistic than P&S.

Anyway, this is just an excuse to bump this thread up again!

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Needless to say, I will never buy a P&S DVD, never.

But, I am having trouble understanding the problem. Why don't the studios put anamorphic OAR on one side and P&S on the other? Wouldn't that solve the entire problem?

If someone wants to argue that the other side is needed for "extras", I'd say forget the extras. After all, which dedicated fan is willing to trade OAR for more extras? Not me.

Deane

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks