What's new

ALL STUDIOS, we will not tolerate P & S only! (1 Viewer)

Rob T

Screenwriter
I will never buy any DVDs that are not in their OAR. I will buy them if the are non-anamorphic though, but anamorphic is much more prefferable.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If any of you studios are considering this pan and scan/open matte-only crap, prepare for a battle royale.
We will not let this stand. If you dump on the loyal home theater enthusiasts who paid good money for their widescreen equipment and those who got this format off the ground in the first place, I guarantee you will piss the hell out of a lot of consumers all around the world.
The internet is a powerful force. Circuit City found that out the hard way.
OAR only.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on October 12, 2001 at 12:26 AM]

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
->Artisian: Keep up the great work
Yeah but we Canadians Don't like PAN & SCAN Either!
I'm pretty sure it was Artisian that decided it would release a canadian movie in P&S and in Stereo only, when in the US they released the film with a DTS track and in Widescreen.
I am talking about "The Red Violin" I'm still peeved that I have to go to the USA to purchase a CANADIAN film!
------------------
Visit My Site!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Link Removed
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Simple: No OAR, No sale - Yes boycott.
"we will not tolerate P & S only" or any film deformed to fit your screen.
(And thank you to those studios who have been good about releasing consistently high-quality, original aspect ratio DVDs.)

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
I would kindly suggest to all the studios that they consider how many DVDs the average person on this forum owns and will potentially buy in the future.
I currently own over 250 DVDs and that is probably well below the average for this forum. We are a big part of the reason this format took off. If it wasn't for people like us, the average person on the street (our friends and relatives mainly) might not have propelled this format to where it is today, and frankly, the bright future it has. We have been it's biggest supporters and promoters; and all for free to you studio's. In fact you've gotten a heck of a lot of our money in addition to the free promotion!
So please reconsider if you're thinking about cutting back on production of OAR DVDs. The numbers of our collections will probably remain stagnant.
Thank you, one of your valued customers,
Rick Deschaine
------------------
Why should people go out and pay to see bad movies when they can stay at home and see bad television for nothing? -Sam Goldwyn.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
If you must release a title in P&S then please put in the additional effort and do a simultaneous widesceen version. We early adopters helped build this base, and to ignore our educated taste is a slap in our collective faces. Give us the option, please.
------------------
kdp.jpg

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
There are a couple of titles which I refuse to buy because they are NOT OAR (Sea of Love and Arthur). It's a shame it has to be this way, but my money will not be shelled out for something that is cropped.
Furthermore, I do believe that the studios need to educate the masses better in regards to blackbars, etc. instead of just writing in small print on the back of the bottom of the case "blackbars are normal, blah, blah."
MOST people who watch do not understand OAR and the blackbars on their TV. But, once they are educated, a strong (not all) percentage will accept it and want it.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
If you want to release both formats for the J6P thats fine by me. But PLEASE release OAR for the rest of us.
icon13.gif
P&S
NO OAR= NO SALE
[Edited last by MatthewButler on October 16, 2001 at 11:13 AM]
[Edited last by MatthewButler on October 16, 2001 at 11:14 AM]

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see what is the problem. I mean, all the studios have to do is release both versions of the film. Also, they can educate the masses about how Amamorphic Widescreen is better and how it gives you the chance to see the film how it was intended, in it's OAR. I mean, seriously "Wider is Better!!!" Let the studios hear the words "No OAR=No Sale!!! Anamorphic Widescreen all the way!!!

Adam N

Agent
This is simple. Anyone who cannot (will not) understand and appreciate widescreen, does not deserve the added quality that it brings to the true home theater experience. Does this concept vaguely remind anyone of say ... Darwinism?
rolleyes.gif
Keep VHS alive ... for the morons!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I hope the studios wake up. Yes, the "average" person may not know about widescreen. But how many DVDs do those people buy? 10? 20? How about us Home Theater fans who do care about widescreen. How many do we buy? Hundreds, each! So the "majority don't care about OAR" argument doesn't wash if you consider the amount bought by the "average" guy and the HT connoisseur.
OAR ONLY!!!!!!!!!!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I own over 100 DVDs (which is nothing compared to some of my HTF brothers and sisters but is way more than most J6Ps out there!). ALL are OAR. None are pan and scan or open matte. Simply put, I will not buy a non-OAR DVD. And if this pan and scan stuff continues, then I will boycott whatever company is involved.
[Edited last by Todd H on October 18, 2001 at 01:23 PM]

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Adding my my voice as well. NO OAR = NO SALE.
Studios, SHOW THAT YOU CARE ABOUT ARTISTIC INTEGRITY. Don't mess with the director's original aspect ratio.
Also, consider the fact that not providing OAR shows disrespect to the passionate film lovers who MADE the DVD format successful in the first place. This is POOR customer relations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks