What's new

All SACD players can play conventional CDs and make them sound significantly better (1 Viewer)

Mike__P

Grip
Well, that's what BestBuy says on their web site in the little SACD and DVD-Audio guide.

I'm just getting back into HT, and picked up one of the Pioneer DV-578A uni-players. Had no idea it was going to make my regular CD's sound better. (Not sure why I spent all that money on pricey transports and outboard DAC's when I could get better performance for $149).

Just curious, what do y'all think BestBuy had in mind when they made that statement? I must be missing something really basic.....

-- Mike

Mike__P

Grip
But that's a function of DAC's, transport mechanisms, electronics, etc. (all price sensitive) like any other player, right? There is nothing inherent architecturally in an SACD player that gives it a leg up in rendering regular CD's, right?

Of course for me, re-introducing myself to the technology and still fairly clueless, this leads to the larger issue:

I'm updating what I thought was a fairly substantial 1995 installation -- ordered the Yamaha RX-V2400 Receiver and the Pioneer DV-578A. When I lash all this up I'm going to wonder whether I want to do the DAC for regular CD's in:

(1) The DV-578A?
(2) My circa 1995 Parasound C/DC 1500 Compact Disc Changer?
(3) My circa 1995 Theta Digital D S Pro Prime outboard DAC?($1000 investment at the time).
(4) My new RX-v2400 when it shows up?

Anyone care to take a crack at that one?:)

-- Mike

P.S.By the way, this site and this forum has really been invaluable over the last week. I'm learning a lot quickly, and am also grateful for the very thorough HT Basics section. Thanks, guys, this seems like a very grown-up place.;)

gregD

Second Unit

Sure... the only recourse is to try them all... otherwise you'll never know for sure.

My money's on the Theta... even at its advanced age.

If not --- it wouldn't be the first bet I ever lost...

Drew_W

Screenwriter
When was the last time Best Buy knew what they were talking about? Their ads have more holes than swiss cheese. Their sales associates...well..there is no cheese...just a big hole.

It pays to do your homework. And your friendly sales associate is not your "Smart Friend" as Best Buy wants it to be. If you don't care enough to do the research into what you're buying, then you can't possibly care enough for it to make a difference what you buy in the first place anyways. I just feel bad for the people who actually believe what spews out of the mouths of Best Buy sales reps.

"Only the top of the line Monster digital cable can do DTS."

"Let me sell you this top of the line fibre optic cable...it's super high resolution, so it's perfect for SACD."

...UGH. :angry:

I'm quite happy with the Redbook reproduction on my Sony SCD-1 although I didn't get it at Best Buy. Maybe compared to what they carry in "stand alone" CD players the SACD units they sell arebetter as I haven't seen any really decent CD players at BB lately.

Good reproduction of any format requires players with high quality DAC's, power supplies, and other components. It also requires a system capable of hearing the differences and I haven't seen a heck of a lot (any?) of those at BB lately either.

A friend just got a low priced Pioneer so he could get started in SACD and,while the SACD performance is quite decent for the price the Redbook isn't that great. His older Pioneer CD player being used as a transport along with an Adcom 700 DAC kills it on Redbook.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
My new Sony CD-595 has excellent redbook playback for the price. I figured Sony would skimp on that area due to the low price, but was pleasantly surprised. I'll admit I'm not usually a Sony fan, but I'll recommend this player to almost anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks