What's new

All of my favorites are tanking.... (1 Viewer)

julienUK

Stunt Coordinator
I understand what you mean. I think u're right, sony/columbia and universal are the worst at this. I can't wait for Charlie's Angels season 3-5.

Also I'm kind of looking forward to get Frasier season 8, last year it seemed like a box set was out every 2 months and this year nada, have to wait till June!!!

Also waiting for twin peaks S2, Hart to hart S2 and Nancydre/Hardy Boys S2 &3.

arghhhhh.

_william_

Grip
They certainly better start getting them out faster or many series won't be finished before we get to buy them all over... again.. in various High Def. format(s)

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator

The comments have been made about buying a VHS tape that contained 1 or 2 episodes and we were amazed at that. I think that to fast forward 10 years, we'll be amazed that we ever bought season sets. I'm willing to bet we'll start seeing entire shows released with Blu-Ray or whatever HD-DVD format really moves to the forefront and makes current DVD's obsolete. :)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I think a lot of the talk about better formats, BluRay, etc., is making a few people hold off on buying dvds anymore. I think tv on dvd is dying because too many people have been burned by studios not releasing the entire series, and/or incomplete, shoddy releases. Yeah, I'm glad Cagney & Lacey is coming to dvd, but I have a strong feeling that we're only going to see the one release. People will see it and not want to wait an eternity for the rest of the series to come out. Or they'll figure that BluRay will come along and do a complete series release at some point. If dvd sales are dying, maybe it's partially because BluRay makes people nervous.

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
I think the dvd market will die in about three years because that is when cable is going to make the switch over and I think alot of people will be making the change. I think offering tv shows on demand will become big once it goes mainstream-like what Warners and ABC are doing now. I watched an episode of Chico and the Man and I really like being able to watch it whenever I want. I also must admit I am a niche viewer-the shows I like will probably not come back on tv or video so this would be a great way to see the shows. In my viewing area you can buy movies on demand-maybe we will buy tv shows this way too. It would have to be cost effective though. But I do believe the market will be shifting within the next few years. Hopefully this will be better for people like me who like the older shows that aren't on dvd or are stalled at one season like Barney Miller. I wish Sony would get off their butts and release Barney and Charlies Angels and Starsky and Hutch and so on and Universal would put out Quincy. And Paramount would put out the Odd Couple. Let's hope the new formats don't leave us out in the cold because cable tv sure has. And the dvd market seems headed that way. But sometimes it just takes the studios longer to release items that aren't going to be big sellers but they do eventually come out. It seems like the top tier shows like I Love Lucy etc; are going to be done being released so what are the studios going to do-just stop releasing older shows? I noticed that my brick and morter stores are not ordering the products that I want so I have to order online. I would rather have the item in my hand but that being said maybe the studios could save some distribution costs by just selling the older shows on the internet. Anybody else think that dvds will be finished by 2009?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'll NEVER buy into "on demand" programming. I want to own my films and TV shows as part of my own library.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think the TV Home 'Video' market will die, even with on demand - its not going to be the same as collecting it, and I doubt it could ever hold every TV series. I don't think that the on demand TV Shows will be used by anybody out of the 18-34 demo, I imagine that'll be for College Students - who can't afford DVD's/don't have a place to keep them...collectors will keep the market alive.

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
Video on Demand can be nice if you're at home. Doesn't work so well when you're out and about without an internet connection. :)

That's when I like to have a season set and my battery powered dvd player.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Hope you're right. I'm one of those collectors that's really enjoying the TV/DVD mkt. I've wondered if/when this sector of DVD may peak or decline. I haven't seen a slowdown of older series releases. Seems like they're coming out more frequently, examples of "Time Tunnel" and "Voyage...Sea". I never thought these would see a release on DVD. "Perry Mason" coming this summer. I think, hopefully, correctly, that there's a lot of Baby-Boomers out there (I'm one) with available income and interest in TV/DVD to support the product for a long time to come.

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
My biggest issue right now is the fact that there are so many shows which I collect which are not selling as well as the studios had hoped, so they are slowing the release frequencies. Prime example is Hunter. Season 4 was supposed to be April 4th, now we're not sure when, because apparently it isn't selling as well as Doogie Howser..Go Figure.
Although on a good note. Charlie's Angels season 3 is still set for July 4th. If they could only finish up Starsky & Hutch.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
I wonder what ever happened to the last season of My Favorite Martian. The last seaon was planned for last year, the date came and went, then suddenly it's delayed so they could release a "Time Travelers Favorites" set. Still nothing. If the delay has to do with Season 2 not selling as well, it would help if it was more widely available. I got Season 1 at WalMart. I had to go to ebay to get Season Two. Thankfully I have a debit card now. :)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Duane; well that makes sense to me because I didn't even realize that Martian was out on dvd at all! I mostly shop at BestBuy and have a look at the dvds everywhere else I go; Walmart, Suncoast Video, KMart, etc. Never seen it; not one copy. The same thing seems to be happening with the Flying Nun; it's very hard to find. I had to get it on Amazon. But oh boy; you can sure find all those tacky comedy Central cartoons on dvd, everywhere you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks