What's new

ALL NEWBIES: Want a Home Theater System real cheap? There is hope! I am shocked! (1 Viewer)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Nice comments there ron. I know many people who always say to me "Why did you buy the sony davS300" its probably garbage. Its considered along the lines of the JVC version you talked about since it has everything in one box for $600(dts/dvd reciver/dvd player.radio tuner). Then when they come over they just sit there in silence. If i had a system that was any louder, clearer and awesome my neighbors would come kill me for making their house shake, and i live in a single family house for god sakes. My home theater is also half of a bigger room in our basement and it still sounds perfect. When i first got the system I was skeptical also as you probably were Ron, but i learned like you did that just because everything comes in one box does not mean that its crap. Some systems may be made live crap, but as far as i know The Sony Dav and now you mentioned the JVC system are terrific for people not willing/or not able to shell out $2000 or more right away on a system.
Capt

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Well, obviously, they must have hooked the entire thing up with expensive 10 gauge speaker wire and $300 interconnects! After all, that's what really makes the difference in the sound quality!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Seriously, great story Ron! I'll have to check this out as a potential Xmas gift for our daughter.
Mark
------------------
Our DVD Collection (Password: dvd123)

Bing Fung

Agent
Great story Ron, Often I'm asked to recommend a starter system to co-wokers of friends. The problem I have had was not knowing how one of these lower cost system could sound.
I full realize that most times the general populace does not require the level of equipment that most folks on the forum strive to obtain, not just yet
biggrin.gif

We all have our price and committed level of envolvement. This is good to hear.
------------------
Bing
images_spin.gif

Link Removed

Matt_P

Second Unit
Okay, before I start, I want you all to push aside your predispositions about HTBs and brand names.
Ready? Don't kill me now.
I recently purchased an RCA home theatre in a box from Radio Shack. That's right: RCA. The rt2250 to be exact. Being a college student, I'm on a budget. A very tight budget. I debated between a Kenwood setup, but opted to go with the RCA because I've had great luck with them in the past (TV, DVD player, all great stuff), and because the center channel had 2 woofers (all made of kevlar). Also, she retails at about $299, which is $200 bucks less then the Kenwood, et. al. I'm very happy with the system's performance. Great, clear DD sound, with a boatload of connection options. No dts, but what more can you ask for at this price? Surprised, huh?
I'm still not sure why people rip on RCA. Like I said, I've had great experience with them in the past. Most people don't even consider checking this brand out. It's impossible to find a review of this system, as well. It seems that people won't give it a chance. Well, I'm telling you to check it out if you're on a really tight budget like myself. For under $300, you'll have a great DD discrete setup that is unparralled in this price range. Until I have the monetary resources to rival Rockefeller, I'm sticking with what I know. Trust me. I've researched, and researched, and ultimately came to my original preference: RCA.
*Putting on my flak jacket....*
------------------
"Off the record, on the QT, & very hush-hush."

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Ron,
Great story, thanks for sharing.
Matt,
RCA is responsible for my very nice DVD player, you won't find me badmouthing them!!! As a matter of fact I'd point to the current RCA $200 DVD player in a second for someone on a budget.
It's amazing how much bang for the buck you get in these little systems these days. Nothing that's going to compete with mine, but some damn good sound nonetheless.
------------------
Philip Hamm
htfphil1.jpg

AIM: PhilBiker
Rock over London, Rock On Chicago, Mitsubishi, the word is getting around.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
While I do love marveling at the great systems that many members here have (hey it gives me something to shoot for), I do think it is very important to include the entry-level / low budget HTs as well. For those of us without a lot of money, it's a great way to enter the HT market, taking the beginner squarely out of J6P range and into Home Theater Novice. As our resources grow (I'm only four years out of college and when I built my first version of an HT four years ago, it probably cost no more than a grand, TV included...) then we can add on as our budget allows. During this critical stage in HT development it is helpful to see reviews of entry to mid-level equipment. It's cool to hear about the Yammie DSP series or the Denon 5800, but for some of us that's about 2 grand more than we can spend.
Thanks for the review Ron. You've just given me a great idea for a Christmas present for my parents, who are just starting to appreciate Home Theater (they live in a distant city from me, otherwise they would have converted long ago).

anthony peel

Auditioning
good story ron.
my friend has been trying to convince his wife that home cinema was too good to miss but she would not agree to him bringing into the house a seperate player ,amp and speakers.
last week he phoned me to ask my opinons on the sony davs300 package and i must admit i did not have much of a idea about the system.
seeing that he could not buy sperates i suggested that sony have produced some nice players here in the uk and i would imagine he would me happy with the setup and the store offered a 7 day refund if he was unhappy so he took the plunge and invested.
well he is over the moon and more to the point so is his wife!!! , films have never looked so good and his jaw dropped to the floor when his could see the picture quality of the jaws dvd.
he invited me around to help him setup his speakers and i must say i was very impressed with the sound and picture that the davs300 delivered.
i would not hesitate to recommend this setup for people who are on a limited budget and also require a setup that is basically plug and play.
anthony

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Ron/admins,
May I suggest that this would be a good thread to ARCHIVE so that we can point new members to it when asking questions about a good starter system?
Just an idea.
------------------
sig.jpg

Rob Lambert

Auditioning
Here is my theory.
Everybody who works for their system loves is. PERIOD. NO MATTER what the cost.
$500 is the same as $5,000 or $50,000. ,,,IF it is something you love. Yes, some "audiophiles" will say that one is more "transparent" and has more "headroom" and some other stuff (polite term) like that... but what matters is how much you enjoy whay you have
As long as it is something you have longed for you will enjoy it. If you don't have this opportunity to wish for something and the work for it then you are really missing out.
ENJOY whatever you buy
Rob

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Cool Story, it's nice to see one of the big boys finding the small systems acceptable in Home Theater. It was the forum that got me started from a Kenwood VR 209 with Jensen and Sony Bookshelf Speakers to Harman Kardon AVR 500 and Platinum Audio speakers all around. Ron, maybe you can convince him to upgrade next year and even go HDTV. Heh Heh
biggrin.gif

------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

DaveM

Grip
I just purchased one of these HT's in a box as well, the Sony HTDDW820. I had a limited budget of 500.00 to spend but knew I wanted a DD and DTS receiver since my DVD was compatible with both. After a few days of shopping and pricing I realized I needed a few hundred more to piece together a system with the same specs as the Sony. So I had to abandon that idea and went shopping for the Sony. I was disappointed at first but through the posts on this forum I was able to set up the system correctly. My wife and I watched Gladiator for the first time Friday night. I found myself on the edge of my seat and noticed that my wife really did not talk much at all. The speakers on my Wega and the Pro Logic system never had that effect on either of us. We both love the system and hope the neighbor doesn't complain about the bass being to loud. One day I will have an expensive setup like the majority here, but till then, I will enjoy my Sony setup to its fullest.
DaveM....HT newbie and loving it :)

JeffreyC

Auditioning
Anyone find this cheaper than $328 on line? I'd like to get this as an xmas gift for the wifes family....
I couldn't find it at Amazon, Buy or 800...

MatS

Screenwriter
nice story Ron. A little over a year ago I did my research, homework etc..and used this very forum to help guide what would be my ultimate decision. I decided to go with the Kenwood HTB system and have never looked back with regret.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
It's actually kind of amusing to read some of the posts from people who start out apologising for buying a budget system. You'd think they were "coming out of the closet" on a MUCH touchier issue.
biggrin.gif

I try to steer those of my friends who want to get into HT away from the budget systems. I don't do it because I feel the Sony, JVC or Pioneer all-in-one systems aren't pretty darn decent performers, but because most of them have no upgrade path beyond trading the entire system in and starting from scratch.
Instead, I try to find budget alternatives for those friends that will get them properly hooked on this hobby; one of the smaller Yamaha receivers with built in DD, perhaps, and a moderately priced sub and small-satellite combo. It's not quite as low in price as some of the budget systems but you can get very close and still have a completely modular system you can upgrade later with a beefier receiver, bigger speakers etc.
Hey, if I'm going to suffer and live in upgrade hell for much of my waking hours, I want to spread the agony around a bit!
wink.gif

However, if I were giving advice to someone like my mother or another friend with no real interest in the technology, then I would probably suggest they look at one of these all-in-one systems instead - few hassles, low price and sound that to them will sound great.
------------------
/Kimmo

Brady B

Auditioning
Great post Ron! I think now what you'll have is more HT in a box owners who might have been less inclined to talk about their systems due to feeling "inadequate" so to speak, will now feel less inhibited and feel free to talk about their systems. I also own a Sony HTDDW820 system and am quite happy with it. The reasoning behind buying it was not necessarily finacial either. My wife and I are both professional people who own a nice home in the Princeton area of New Jersey. We bought a RPTV, DVD and sound system for about 3k total and felt that this was great for our needs. We could have spent more sure, but everyone's needs and wants are different. I do think a section for HT on a budget where people can get advice from others in regards to these so called starter systems. Also it is nice to discuss with people who have common equipment. I think it will add to the enjoyment of this great forum.
Brady

Kevin P

Screenwriter
It just goes to show that... it doesn't cost much to get into a decent HT setup...
... what gets expensive are the inevitable UPGRADES!!
biggrin.gif

Case in point: I'm looking at replacing my $300 Pioneer DVD player with a $1500 Sony. Have I gone crazy? No, it's just part of the disease...I mean hobby!
wink.gif

KJP

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I can't bring myself to disparage those home-theater-in-a-box systems. Know why? Anything will sound better than listening to a film's audio track over a television's built-in speakers. Anything.
So, I'm glad Ron posted this charming little anecdote. In this post-stereo era, many people are getting their first introduction to enhanced audio from these all-in-one systems. Whatever it takes to raise the general bar of excellence, I say.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
I went to the new CostCo here in Minneapolis and they didn't have any JVC systems. They had a decent Pioneer package with DD/DTS for around $349. Anyone know for sure the model number of the JVC package?
------------------
Scott's Link Removed - By Appointment Only

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Great story. Me, being of extremly modest budget have a very decent sounding Technics DD/DTS reciever, a Panasonic A110 dvd player (don't worry, the firmware and optical pickup have been upgraded and she's runnin just fine), and some pretty good speakers, not the best of course but my little system rocks the house and is my pride and joy. I am constantly giving my friends and neighbors demonstrations, and I blow em away every time, two of my neighbors have even went out and bought decent systems because of what they heard at my house. The way I see it ANYTHING is better than those poor people who watch movies on tape rented from 'BlockBuster' video and on a 19' B/W t.v., with the sound coming from one tiny speaker. To me, any multi-channel system can sound good if you tweak it out enough.
------------------
"How do you feel?"
"Like Richard Petty drove a stockcar into my b***s!"
'Ready to Rumble'

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks