All in the Family S6 - Will Sony pull a Fox?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Joe*A, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Joe*A

Joe*A Stunt Coordinator

I've been collecting the incredible All in the Family [in of my all time top 10 sitcoms] and now TVShowsOnDVD.com report that Season 6 will be coming out in the early new year. All in the Family season sets are bare bone - no extras, commentaries, etc. Just wondering if Sony will pull the same stunt that Fox did with MASH and release a Complete Series of All in the Family with loads of extras at a very low price. Fox gave me a bad taste in my mouth re. MASH and has indelibly made me weary of season sets without any extras. Does anyone feel the same way?

2. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Sony never does much about extras in the first place, so I'd say no. Plus they haven't released complete boxed sets of series that they've managed to finish, like Sanford and Son.

Sony seems to have an incredibly long sell-through schedule, taking at least a year for one season set to sell before introducing another. Where's Party of 5? Where's Green Acres? Only Sony knows for sure.

3. 70sTVlover

70sTVlover Stunt Coordinator

They took quite a while in releasing Starsky and Hutch season 4... And where's Cagney and Lacey?!?

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Cagney and Lacey was produced by Orion, which was acquired by MGM, thus now at Fox along with Green Acres.

5. StacyV

StacyV Second Unit

In terms of extras, I don't know if any were added, but Sony did release a complete collection of Tour of Duty

6. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I think the chances of Sony releasing a complete series set with more extras is very, very slim. The sets are coming out once a year because sales aren't strong; there wouldn't be a market for a complete series set.

There weren't any extras for Tour of Duty (which had 3 seasons released in 13 months).

Gord

7. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

Just be happy that the next season has been released and don't worry about down the road.

Paul

8. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    After this there are still 2 more Mike & Gloria seasons to go at which point I will stop collecting this series. The last season with Danielle is of little interest to me. It plays out like a season-long pilot for Archie Bunker's Place.

9. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland

That is exactly what I am doing also. This gives me hope that Season 7 WILL indeed be released. It has one of my favorite Carroll O'Conner performances in "Archie and the Draft Dodger."