What's new

All In The Family DVD: Some Advice (1 Viewer)

Mike*SC

Second Unit

I haven't, but it's of no consequence. These shows were shot differently, lit differently, made use of different cameras, stored differently... they're not the same. In other words, this is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Both "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Attack of the 60-Foot Centerfold" were shot on film, but that doesn't mean any amount of restoration could make the latter look like the former.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
For myself, I haven't had any problems with the quality of All In The Family. The show has always had that 'bland' color sceme and look to it. Nothing was ever 'bright.' Now The Jeffersons, the color just jumps out at you. I've been very, very pleased with All In The Family. I just wish the release schedule could be a little faster.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, after these past few weeks and taking full advantage of Best Buy's Buy 1 Get 1 Free sale I've finally gotten the chance to watch all five seasons that are currently ouot and I'm pleasantly pleased with the sets. I haven't had any problems with these sets although I would have prefered an exterior slipcase box for Season 1 as they did with Sanford and Son.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I agree with you there, though it was Columbia TriStar's first TV-DVD set, so I can forgive them at that point.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
They were out of them at my store, so I bought 1 & 2 and 4 & 5. Still great price. But I thought it was odd, they were also out of #3 for the King of Queens! Go figure...

MattHR

Screenwriter

I just saw a newly repackaged AITF:S1 set at Costco (with the other sets currently available.) It's now packaged with an outer case sporting the new Sony label. I believe they were priced at $13.88 each.

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie
New to this thread....

I have all 6 thus-far-reloeased seasons of AITF and have watched them each at least 10 times. Having grown up watching AITF on a black & white TV, with snow and interference (Reception was via an antenna, 60 miles from the broadcast signal origin)- all I can say is that I have no complaints with the DVDs and the show looks better than ever!

Today, there seems to be such concern with video quality. It's almost as if the shows that are produced are of such little substance, that viewers derive more pleasure from the appearance of the images on the screen, than they do from the actual content of the show.

With many of the classic shows, like AITF and the Honeymooners, the actual appearance of the images was only a secondary concern- an enhancement, if you will. The shows were so good, that you really don't notice or care about the details of picture quality, because you actually enjoy the content of the show, and they make you think and fantasize.

I have a home-made copy of a short-lived series called It's Your Move, which I was elated to get. The picture quality is horrible! (Looks like the person who recorded it also had the old antenna....likely the same one I had in the 70's!) but I enjoy the show anyway.

And while I'd consider the AITF discs of good quality (and I don't see the red lines that others mention...), they are not up to what I'd imagine current shows look like (I haven't watched broadcast/cable TV since '92, so I can only imagine).

In fact, I think a lot of these classic shows would lose something if the picture quality was as pristine and homogenized as modern shows. The discs accurately represent the broadcast quality of the time (a little diminished throu87gh neglectful storage- but still better than what we actually saw at the time through an antenna.) and IMO, the shows look "realistic". (The lighting and super-high resolution of modern shows make them look detached from the real world- whereas these older shows look more natural).

My AITF sets are the pride of my collection...and I just watch them over and over and over! (Been watching that show since it debuted in '71, when I was 9)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Richie,

I too watched the show from the time it debuted. I love it for a lot of reasons. Your post above has convinced me to take the plunge with All In the Family. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Richie,

I will have a better look at it tomorrow. But at first glance, I love the colors of the background -- purples and blues. And the scrolling effect is really neat. I love that picture of Archie with the cigar! :emoji_thumbsup:

redbird

Agent
Real Name
M
I have some advice on this show-hey Sony, finish putting this show out on DVD already!:P

As for the show itself-yeah, the video isn't the greatest but anyone who likes classic TV needs to get at least a couple of seasons of this show. It spent years at the top of the ratings for good reason.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I own all the available DVDs. What is interesting to me is that other Norman Lear sitcoms of the same vintage (and other 70s and 80s videotape material) look better on DVD. Right now I'm watching The Muppet Show and I'm impressed by the picture quality. Of course that was shot in PAL, yet that has been through several different owners.

I don't believe these are anywhere near first generation tapes.

If you want a good (but long) read on the state of TV and video preservation in 1996 (Ernie Kovacs fans keep away from sharp objects), here is one:

TV/Video Preservation Study: Los Angeles Public Hearing, March 1996 - National Film Preservation Board (Library of Congress)

Martin Welch

Agent
Real Name
Martin Welch
Is there any word on when Sony will release the last few seasons of All in the Family on DVD? I know they're not considered the best ones, but I still enjoy those final seasons a great deal and would love to have the complete series on DVD.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Sony's just being ignorant ... seems to me they just want to release any more AitF sets and they suck serious behind.

It's sad that they've completed I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched is nearly finished, Season 8, the final season, will be out by Summer.

It's really pretty sad.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Or maybe they're not releasing any further seasons because the previous ones just didn't sell that well. Anyone ever think of that ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks