What's new

"all channel stereo" mode (1 Viewer)

Serge Ch

Agent
I am considering receiver purchase. Some receivers have the "all channel stereo" mode. Sometimes it's called also "Party" mode. Is it a good feature to have? It sounds as "all channel stereo" mode would make stereo sound better and more dimentional?

Thanks!

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I use mine for standard broadcast TV and sports as I have a semi-large room for entertaining. This gives me the same sound in the front and back of the room. As for music listening I think this would destroy the soundstage effect so I wouldn't recommend it for that.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Tim nails it -- All-Chl (Yamaha calls it 5-Chl Stereo) delivers the same sound all around -- great for walking around the room or the kitchen etc with TV going, or music CDs or FM -- and the rears deliver the same as the fronts.

It there had to be a choice in features, I wud go first for Dolby ProLogic II to listen to while seated and playing stereo TV or stereo CDs, to get the mixed dimensional surround sound.

DarrellP

Stunt Coordinator
I use the Yammie 5 channel mode while listening to the radio or a CD, it seems to add depth to the sound and increased Bass response. I don't like it if I am sitting down listening, then I prefer just plain old stereo.

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
It is a good feature to use. It takes the incoming stereo sound and sends the same information to the SR and SL as the FR and FL speakers. It "blends" the FR and FL signal in some manner and sends that to the center channel. That is how it is performed on my Denon 3802 and most probably how it is done on other machines with this DSP.

Sean L

Stunt Coordinator
I use 5-channel 'stereo' mode on my Denon 2802 quite frequently, however when I want to really sit down and listen to a CD I will play it in DIRECT mode utilizing the mains and sub only.

Dolby PLII doesn't work very well with music IMO, it does much better with TV/movies.

I have recently bought a few DTS music CDs and some DVD-As so my receiver auto senses the signal and selects the appropriate processing.

Sean in Nor Cal

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've had 5 channel stereo or now 7 channel stereo for awhile now and frankly i've never used it thanks to more real sounding DSP modes like Pro logic II and DTS:Neo.

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
sean, if you are using dvd-audio discs you should be using the external inputs on your receiver and using your dvd players internal decoder. otherwise you are not getting the true 24 bit 96khz 5.1 sound. no receiver other than the denon 5803 has internal decoding for full spectrum dvd-audio 5.1, and that is currently only when it is used with a denon 9000 dvd player and their proprietary digital link. just an fyi. the dts-cd is fine using your internal receiver processor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks