What's new

"All about Eve", "How green...", "Grapes..." and other Fox DVD in '03 (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
You guys are totally jumping the gun. Nowhere does it say that Sunrise won't be available for sale separately.
I just can't see them putting a movie on DVD that would only be available on a promotion. It's not like we are talking about a Boba Fett action figure here.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Sunrise, which picked up Oscars for best actress, cinematography and a statue for best picture in the one-time category called Unique and Artistic Production at the first Academy Awards in 1929, will be offered free by mail to consumers who purchase three other titles in the Fox Studio Classics line. Wings was the overall best picture winner in 1929.
This is from the Video Business article.

DVDFile mentions that it's availible ONLY by the special offer. (Also note that it says that Sunrise and Wings won the 2 picture awards in 1929. It's false. They won for the 1927-1928 awards, with Broadway Melody being the winner for 1929-1930.)

I hope someone can prove that DVD File and Video Business are wrong...a film of this calibre doesn't deserve this kind of poor treatment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick,
Where in the article does it say that "Sunrise" will be offered free only? Also, our good friends at DVDFile have been known to be incorrect about information attached to initial press releases. Let's see what shakes out first, before assuming the worse thing that can happen to silent film lovers.

Crawdaddy

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I've seen several mentions of My Darling Clementine as being included in Fox's Oscar 2003 schedule in this thread here.
Hopefully, My Darling Clementine will be released in 2003 but it won't be included in the the Oscar series. Why? As hard as it is to believe, not only did My Darling Clementine not win any Oscars but it didn't even receive one single nomination. Shockingly, the same fate befell Ford's The Searchers ten years later.
Laura did win a cinematography award so it qualify as part of the series.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The quote I pasted was from the article.

DVDFile's blurb mentions that it's by the special (buy 3 get one) order.

Sure, to people who have no idea of silent film or think of it as a "cool extra" that's nice. Well, some people don't want to pay 70 dollars worth of DVD's, just to get a freebie. I'm one of them.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I hope that Sunrise is available individually because there isn't a single title of those mentioned that I can definitely say I'd buy other than maybe My Darling Clementine. I would maybe buy Eve, but the others are a pretty big stretch.

If Sunrise is special offer only, I could be waiting months to get it. Of course if Fox includes The Ox-Bow Incident and a remastered South Pacific, I have no problems.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I'd sure love them to redo THE ROBE and restore the film this time instead of the substandard release that's out there and make it a special edition. Also, let's hope that ALL THAT JAZZ makes the list next year.

David

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad that All About Eve is getting a new transfer. I would also like to see Sunrise sold separately.
~Edwin

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Sweet news on Grapes of Wrath , I've wanted to see that one ever since I finished the book. If anybody knows when it comes on TV, let me know. I guess handle watching it that way, since it'd still be in its OAR.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
How Green Was My Valley and Gentlemen's Agreement look just fine on DVD.
You are joking, right? How Green Was My Valley suffers from "floaters" throughout the entire feature, where elements of the picture disembody themselves from the rest of the image.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
You are joking, right? How Green Was My Valley suffers from "floaters" throughout the entire feature, where elements of the picture disembody themselves from the rest of the image.
That's absolutely right but suprisingly I've hardly seen anyone else comment on this. I will certainly buy a remastered version of How Green Was My Valley and dump my present copy. Perhaps Fox will also include an optional stereo track which was on VHS and certainly benefitted Alfred Newman's music score.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
How Green Was My Valley was the second mainstream film to be released with stereo sound.

It would be nice if Fox provided the original 2.0 stereo as well as a 5.1 remix. It would be interesting to see what can be done for the stereo stems.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Patrick
what was the first mainstream film with stereo sound then ?
Gordy
Most likely you just saw Once Upon A Time In America as well
absolutely riveting and thrilling imo
:emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Fantasia was the first with stereo...

Although it was multichannel stereo surround. How Green Was My Valley was the first with dual-channel stereo.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
"How Green Was My Valley" was never released to theaters in stereo. With the exception of FANTASIA there was no such thing in those days. Fox recorded its music underscore at that time with two microphones. Using those music tracks to create "dimensionality", an ersatz stereo track was created a few years ago (originally for home video release) derived from those two-angle music tracks.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I missed the $19.98MSRP in my haste over Sunrise. At that pricepoint, I'll definitely buy an SE of Eve.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks